Subject: [AAA-WG]: New proposed text for Destination-NAI

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 07:45:14 -0800 (PST)

All,

As discussed in the past couple of days, some mechanism is required for STI
and other server initiated re-auth messages to find its way to the proper NAS.
The following text is what I would propose in the next I-D:

Comments (please!),

PatC
----
6.8  Finding a Target NAS within a Domain

   The DIAMETER protocol supports unsolicited server initiated messages.
   However, when such messages are transmitted, they have a specific
   target Network Access Server (NAS) in mind. Unsolicited server
   initiated messages are unique in that they contain the Destination-
   NAI AVP. Routing of such messages follow the same set of guidelines
   described in section 6.0, with one exception. When a proxy server has
   determined that a message, which includes the Destination-NAI AVP,
   has reached its target realm, the Destination-NAI AVP is used to
   identify the actual NAS the message should be forwarded to.

6.8.1  Destination-NAI AVP

   The Destination-NAI AVP (AVP Code 293) [1] is of type OctetString,
   and contains the NAI [8] of the intended recipient of the message.
   This AVP MUST be present in all unsolicited server initiated
   messages.

---

From: David Spence <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 00:15:31 -0500

> The following text is what I would propose in the next I-D:

Well, for starters, I would suggest replacing the terms "Network Access
Server (NAS)" and "NAS" where they appear with the term "DIAMETER client" as
defined in section 1.0.  This is, after all, the base protocol -- not the
NASREQ extension.

Next, I think it might help to say something about how an AAA server would
know what value to assign to the Destination-NAI AVP.  Presumably it should
be set to the value of the Host-Name AVP that appeared in the message from
the DIAMETER client that established the session.  Correct?

-- 
David Spence                            email: [email-masked]
Interlink Networks, Inc.                phone: (734) 821-1203
775 Technology Drive, Suite 200         fax:   (734) 821-1235
Ann Arbor, MI 48108           
U.S.A.

---

From: Patrice Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 07:32:48 -0800 (PST)

Dave,

as usual :), you are correct on both points. I will modify the text
accordingly.

Thanks,

PatC
----