Subject: Re: [diameter] data type modifications to DIAMETER (Fwd)

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:37:33 -0800 (PST)

> Pat writes:
>
>> Right, but chances of getting *something* back from the home server are
quite >> high if two attributes are added, one for each address family, as
opposed to >> inserting an IPv6 in an attribute that the home server expected
to be only >> 32bit in length. Chances it would drop the request in this case,
hence >> increasing the difficulty in troubleshooting.
>
> Thinking about the major places (e.g. 3g) where DIAMETER could be
> deployed in the future, I think it would be even reasonable to *require* IPv6 
> attribute
> support from all DIAMETER nodes. Which would be rather trivial and
> different from than supporting IPv6 itself on DIAMETER or the functions
> of the NAS.

I didn't think that was the original comment (or perhaps I've really
misunderstood this from the beginning). I thought the issue was more regarding
the RADIUS protocol. v4/v6 support is mandatory in the DIAMETER protocol.
Whether a NAS or Server supports either, or both, protocols is irrelevant. All
we care about is ensuring that requests and responses are recognized.

PatC