Subject: Self Describing record formats for multiple (non-network-access) usage types ...

From: Abhi Deshmukh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 16:23:33 -0500

Hello:

I have been looking at the AAA related documents for record formats and I
have an idea to share about the formats. 

Is there a thought in the AAA WG of having self describing records in the
overall AAA framework ?. This would allow other known unknown and not
invented usage records to be accomodated in the AAA framework. This way, if
the transport issues are resolved, new usage types would not present a
challenge to the record format. Also having a AAA framework that accomodates
other usage types (other than end user network access) would be beneficial.

I have some ideas on this thought process. If this thought is-being or
has-been dicussed, then perhaps I missed it. Is there any place that I
should be looking ? Any useful pointers ?

Thanks for your time.

- Abhi Deshmukh

PS: I also looked at an Internet Draft
(http://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-aaa-issues-04.txt) but did not
this issue listed explicitly.

---

From: David Harrington <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 17:11:02 -0500

What types of usage did you have in mind?
SNMP is the standard that is typically used to monitor network activity.

dbh

-- 
---
David Harrington            Network Management Standards Architect
[email-masked]           Office of the CTO
+1 603 337 2614 - voice     Enterasys Networks
+1 603 332 1524 - fax       Rochester NH, USA