Subject: [AAA-WG]: Diameter API

From: Emmanuel Riou <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:56:58 +0200

Hi all,

Concerning the Diameter API, I see a contradiction between the Message
Definition $4.2.4 and the Diameter header definition of the "Diameter
Base Protocol" draft:
In the struct message ( § 4.2.4 ), there is no Diameter message length
field.
It is not the only problem:
The current version of ethereal ( 0.8.16-1 ) is not in accordance with
the current definition of the Diameter header structure in the Diameter
API. Ethereal does not read the Diameter header as it should if the
diameter API was respected.

So, is there a problem with the message structure of the §4.2.4, or is
this Message Definition not applied yet?

Best Regards,

-- 
Riou Emmanuel
Motorola Labs - Centre de Recherche Motorola - Paris

I am new to this mailing list, sorry if this question has already been
posted.

---

From: David Frascone <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:14:24 -0500

> In the struct message ( § 4.2.4 ), there is no Diameter message length

Read further into the document, where it talks about "information
hiding"  (Section 4.5.2).

> diameter API was respected.

The current version of ethereal (0.8.16) is up to date with the diameter
PROTOCOL specification, defined in draft-calhoun-diameter-18.  It will also
be modified to support any changes/extensions the aaa-wg comes up with.

Since the Diameter API is not a protocol, and it's structures are simply an
implementation suggestion, it was not used in the creation of the Ethereal
dissector.

I hope this helps clarify things.

-Dave