Subject: [AAA-WG]: Comments on draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-mobileip-02.txt

From: "Rambabu Tummala" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 11:13:48 -0500

Pat,

The AMA message is missing AVPs Destination-Realm AVP and Destination-FQDN
AVP.  These have to be atleast optional in the AMA message.  
If Destination-Realm AVP is not present in the AMA, how would the message be
routed back to the AAAF from AAAH.  
If Destination-FQDN AVP is present, the message can easily delivered to the
originating FA by AAAF.
AAAH has the information from the AMR message it received.

The same comments apply to HAA also.

-Regards,
Rambabu Tummala
Nortel Networks
ESN 444-8970
External (972)684-8970

---

From: Patrice Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 10:05:43 -0700 (PDT)

> The same comments apply to HAA also.

You are correct. Furthermore, the Destination-FQDN MUST also be optional in
the HAR, since the HAR may be directed at a particular Home Agent.

PatC

---

From: Tony Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 10:50:51 -0700

Hi Pat and Rambabu,

Please see comments embedded...

BR,

/Tony

> > routed back to the AAAF from AAAH.

You use the Route-Record and not on the Destination-Realm AVP to route the AMA
back from the AAAH to the AAAF. So why should the Destination-Realm AVP be present
in the AMA?!

> > AAAH has the information from the AMR message it received.

I agree.

> the HAR, since the HAR may be directed at a particular Home Agent.

I don't understand. Why do we need Destination-FQDN in the HAR message?

---

From: Patrice Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 10:57:29 -0700 (PDT)

> > > The AMA message is missing AVPs Destination-Realm AVP and
Destination-FQDN > > > AVP.  These have to be atleast optional in the AMA
message. > > > If Destination-Realm AVP is not present in the AMA, how would
the message be > > > routed back to the AAAF from AAAH.
> 
> You use the Route-Record and not on the Destination-Realm AVP to route the
> AMA back from the AAAH to the AAAF. So why should the Destination-Realm AVP
> be present in the AMA?!

oops, you are correct. The Destination-Realm is not necessary, but the *-FQDN
is. Sorry I didn't really respond to that message.

> I don't understand. Why do we need Destination-FQDN in the HAR message?

Let us assume that the first time around a Home Agent is assigned in a visited
network. The next time around (i.e. re-registration), you want to make sure
that the HAR is sent to the proper Home Agent, right? So the Destination-FQDN
would provide that feature.

PatC

---

From: "Fredrik Johansson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 10:52:18 +0200

>would provide that feature.

I Agree, the FQDN is needed to find a specific HA when one is assigned in
the
foreign network. However, I have another question.

How will the AAAH find the way to the AAAF when it sends the first HAR?
The Origin-FQDN in the AMR points to the FA, should the HAR be sent to the
first route record (which ought to be the AAAFs)? If so, I believe it needs
to be
clearified in the draft.
Or is it not necessary to send the HAR to the same AAAF that received the
AMR,
i.e. you can set the Destination-Realm to the one of the Origin-Realm in the
AMR.

/Fredrik

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 05:36:04 -0700

> foreign network. However, I have another question.

ok.

> i.e. you can set the Destination-Realm to the one of the Origin-Realm in the

The message needs to be forwarded to an AAAF in the foreign domain. It could
be the same AAAF that forwarded the AMR, or it could be another one. It
really doesn't matter.

I will look in the draft to see if any possible clarifications can be made.

PatC