Subject: [AAA-WG]: EAP-generated key distribution

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 15:56:14 +0300

Hi all,

I'd like to propose standardizing key distribution
DIAMETER/RADIUS attributes for session keys generated with
the Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP), RFC 2284.

Some EAP authentication types are able to generate a session key
as part of the authentication procedure. The AAA server could
pass the key to the NAS so the client and NAS could use the key
locally. Such keys are especially useful with IEEE 802.1X.

While RFC2869 (informational) describes RADIUS attributes for EAP,
and draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-nasreq-01.txt contains the
same for DIAMETER, neither includes an attribute for
the EAP-generated key. (RFC2548 describes Microsoft vendor-
specific RADIUS extensions to carry the key.)

I think we should standardize such an attribute in the IETF.
For DIAMETER, an AVP could be included in the Diameter NASREQ
draft.

Bernard asked me to post this message to the list. He also
mentioned that DIAMETER already has several key distribution
attributes, and perhaps one of the existing ones could be added
to the Base protocol, thus making it available for all uses, rather
than adding yet another attribute.

Regards,
Henry