Subject: [AAA-WG]: New API Draft

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 14:00:44 -0700 (PDT)

I've sent a new API draft to the IETF Secretariat, it is now labelled
as a working group draft. Because it is rather lengthy, I have not
posted it to the list and, since Pat is out of town, I have not
asked him to put it on the Diameter server. It should appear on
the drafts directory  shortly.

Changes from previous version:

- Minor changes in the C API addressing comments from people.

- Java API now reflects version 02 of the Diameter draft.

- There is now a server side API in Java, as well as a client side.

One thing that came up while I was doing the Java API is that Java
has no way to represent Unsigned64 or Float128. What I've done is 
define classes that identify these types as having been sent
on the wire, but simply pass through to Long and Double, respectively.
This means that it will not be possible to get an unsigned long
and that any floats over 64 bits will be flagged as errors, even
though they were sent as Float128. An alternative definition would
use BigInt and Decimal, which don't work like the normal numerical
types but do allow arbitrary precision numbers.

Any preferences?

		jak