Subject: [AAA-WG]: A resolution to the Accounting problem

From: Patrice Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 13:29:16 -0700 (PDT)

Problem:

People have been asking recently how does a server specify that it wishes to
receive accounting messages? This used to be possible when the Accounting
stuff was in a separate extension, but it no longer is possible in -02 because
accounting is part of the base.

Solution:

The authentication and authorization part of the protocol advertises its
supported extensions via the Extension-Id AVP in the DRI message. However,
each extension has AVPs that it specifies needs to be present in accounting
messages. So in any case, you have different accounting messages (well, the
AVPs are different) based on the application.

So, could we not simply create a new AVP that is exchanged in the DRI, called
the Accounting-Extension-Id? It would use the same address space as the
existing Extension-Id AVP, but this would be ONLY for accounting purposes.
This way a server could advertise that it wishes to receive both auth and acct
messages for MIP ONLY, or perhaps only NASREQ and MIP acct messages, etc.

This seems very flexible, and an even better solution to the old approach
(read split acct from base) that would not allow a peer to advertise that it
only wanted accounting messages for a particular application.

Thoughts?

PatC

---

From: "Haseeb Akhtar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 16:51:35 -0500

Ditto here.

Haseeb

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Patrice Calhoun [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2001 3:29 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [AAA-WG]: A resolution to the Accounting problem
> 
> 
> Problem:
>