Subject: [AAA-WG]: Session Movement

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 09:53:43 -0700

All,

A week or so ago, the following text was proposed, and I am now just getting
around to making spec changes, and some questions arose:

> 11.7  Session Movement
>
>  When a user moves between different access devices it may be desirable
>  to keep the Session Id unchanged. It is therefore possible for a
>  server to send the original Session Id back to the requester in the
>  Original-Session-Id AVP. If the AAA server already has a
>  sessionidentifier

how about the following???

"11.7  Session Movement

There are applications that over the course of a session a user MAY
receive service from different access servers. While the service is
relocated, it MAY be desirable for the AAA infrastructure to view this
as a persistent session, as opposed to a new session each time a user is
relocated. In order to support these applications, when an AAA server
identifies that a request is the continuation of an existing session,
it MUST include the original session identifier in the Original-Session-Id
AVP in the corresponding response message to the access device."

WARNING!!!!!!

This is really unchartered territory, and we really need to think this one
through. Let's assume, for the moment, that a user's device crashes, and
the mobile re-connects to a new FA. In this case, the AAAF, or AAAH, *could*
believe this is the continuation of an old session. 

If one is billed by time, this is a problem.

So, I think that additional text is required on when this should be done.

[...]

> 11.8  Session Termination
>
>  The Diameter Base Protocol provides a set of messages that MUST be
>  used by any peer to explicitly request that a previously
>  authenticated and/or authorized session be terminated. Since the
>  Session-Id is typically tied to a particular service (i.e. Mobile IP,
>  NASREQ, etc), the session termination messages are used to request
>  that the service tied to the Session Id be terminated.

Did you add 11.8 in your e-mail to help me locate where the text should be
added? It appears to be exactly the same as what's in the draft.

PatC