Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue #33: Is API Considered Useful

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 06:57:01 -0700

All,

I spoke with Tom Hiller, the editor of the various 3GPP2 specs, and talked to him about
P.R001, and the rather obscure requirement to allow for a server initiated accounting
poll. He stated that if the feature wasn't discussed in P.S001, then it isn't a requirement,
and P.R001 is a non-normative reference in P.S001 (it is informational only).

So, it sounds as if we can get rid of this feature, but I would like to ask, one last time,
whether people feel it is necessary for an accounting server to be able to issue a request
to an access device to force it to send an accounting message. If so, then we will keep this
feature, but if there is no demand..... out it goes.

PatC

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 08:27:20 -0700 (PDT)

As far as I can see, this is not a requirement in RFC 2989. Personally, I
don't feel that this is necessary because given the failover/failback
functionality, if it is possible to bring up a reliable connection,
Diameter will  get the accounting packets through. So there shouldn't be
any need to poll for the data.