Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue #51: EAP Roundtrips

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 06:39:45 -0700

All,

I'd like to get some discussion started on issue 51. My interpretation of Bernard's
comments on this particular issues, which may be found at 
http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/aaa-wg/2001-05/msg00340.html is that this isn't
something that we can really fix in Diameter.

Does anyone else have a comments on how to proceed with this issue?

Thanks,

PatC

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 12:03:43 +0300

> From: ext Pat Calhoun [mailto:[email-masked]]

> something that we can really fix in Diameter.

I agree with Bernard's comments -- there are murky areas
in the Radius extensions document (RFC 2869), and 
ambiguities in the EAP specification (RFC 2284).

#51 is trying to address one specific problem: EAP-Success
cannot contain any data, and even if it could, it is never
re-transmitted so problems would arise if it was lost.
So we need to transmit all data to the client in EAP-Requests,
which quite often results in an unnecessary NAS-AAA-NAS roundtrip.
I still believe that the message sequences in my e-mail
available at the URL below would be feasible in Diameter.
This wouldn't fix all the issues Bernard identified, but
this would save a roundtrip without requiring any changes 
to RFC 2284 or current PPP client implementations.

http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/aaa-wg/2001-05/msg00347.html

Regards,
Henry