Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue 76: Destination-Realm & proxies/relays

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:52:31 -0700

In order to close issue 76, I'd like to propose the following text to replace
what exists in section 3.0 in -05. Note that the change here is to add a 
new flag to the Diameter header, which is used to state that a message MAY be
proxied.

PatC
----

       0                   1                   2                   3
       0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |      Ver      |                 Message Length                |
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |R P r r r r r r|                  Command-Code                 |
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |                           Vendor-ID                           |
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |                      Hop-by-Hop Identifier                    |
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |                      End-to-End Identifier                    |
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |  AVPs ...
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

   Version
      This Version field MUST be set to 1 to indicate Diameter Version
      1.

   Message Length
      The Message Length field is two octets and indicates the length of
      the Diameter message including the header fields.

   Command Flags
      The Command Flags field is eight bits.  The following bits are
      assigned:

         R(equest)   - If set, the message is a request. If cleared, the
                       message is an answer.
         P(roxiable) - If set, the message MAY be proxied. If cleared,
                       the message MUST be locally processed.
         r(eserved)  - this flag bit is reserved for future use, and MUST
                      be set to zero.

I'd also have to remove the following sentence:

5.0  Diameter message processing

[...] A message that MUST NOT be relayed, proxied or redirected MUST NOT
include the Destination-Realm in its ABNF. [...]