Subject: [AAA-WG]: NASREQ KDC proposed text

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 14:17:57 -0700

All,

I am in the process of addressing the issue that can be found at http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/aaa-wg/2001-05/msg00230.html, and I have some... problems.

First off, the general idea is the provide some keying services, similar to those used in
MObile IP. However, in the Mobile IP extension, how these keys are used is well
defined. In this proposed text, it is really up in the air, and it leaves the reader wondering
why this is needed.

Am I the only one that sees this as a potential problem with the IESG?

Thanks,

PatC

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 22:47:56 -0700 (PDT)

> MObile IP. 

For AAA, the need is for "key transport" as opposed to "key derivation". 

For EAP methods that derive session keys, there needs to be a mechanism to
transport the keys from the AAA server to the NAS. Typically the keys are
required by layer 2 media that provide security services -- PPP ECP,
802.11 WEP, etc.

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 08:21:54 -0700

> required by layer 2 media that provide security services -- PPP ECP,

Cool, then the spec really should be able to state why the keys are being
delivered. Perhaps a new enum AVP that includes 802.11 WEP, PPP ECP, etc.
Without this, the reader is left wondering why these keys are even used.

Of course, for each enum, a reference to a spec that explains how the keys
are used would be most beneficial.

PatC