Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: Issue #33: Is API Considered Useful

From: "Kobylarz, Thaddeus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 01:22:14 -0400

Pat,
	I hope its not too late to ask you to wait a little longer before
discarding the "server initiated accounting poll" requirement.  I don't see
a need, but would like to get reactions from others in 3GPP SA5.  Hence, I
am concurrently sending this e-mail to them.
Thad
  
SA5 folks, especially CB participants,
	Please consider the attached e-mail and send your opinions to Pat.
It is very important to provide opinions ASAP.
Thanks, Thad

-----Original Message-----
From: Pat Calhoun [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2001 9:57 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue #33: Is API Considered Useful

All,

I spoke with Tom Hiller, the editor of the various 3GPP2 specs, and talked
to him about
P.R001, and the rather obscure requirement to allow for a server initiated
accounting
poll. He stated that if the feature wasn't discussed in P.S001, then it
isn't a requirement,
and P.R001 is a non-normative reference in P.S001 (it is informational
only).

So, it sounds as if we can get rid of this feature, but I would like to ask,
one last time,
whether people feel it is necessary for an accounting server to be able to
issue a request
to an access device to force it to send an accounting message. If so, then
we will keep this
feature, but if there is no demand..... out it goes.

PatC