Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: Issue 24: Transport Selection

From: Cain Brian-BCAIN1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 12:02:36 -0500

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Pat Calhoun [mailto:[email-masked]]
> 
> Just to close this issue, below is the text that I am proposing we
> use in -06:
> 
> 
>    When connecting to a peer, and either zero or more transports are
>    specified, SCTP SHOULD be tried first, followed by TCP. See section

More?  If a Diameter Identity of "diameter://host.abc.com;transport=tcp"
were specified, SCTP should still be tried first?

Maybe this should be along the lines of "if no transports are specified, or
if SCTP is one of the specified transports, it should be tried first"...?
And if it's a good idea to specify more than one transport, should we make
it possible to have a Diameter Identity that contains more than one
transport?

>    2.6 for more information on peer discovery.
> 
>    Diameter implementations SHOULD be able to interpret ICMP protocol
>    and port unreachable messages as explicit indications that 
> the server
>    is not reachable, in addition to interpreting ECONNREFUSED (a reset
>    from the transport) and timed-out connection attempts.

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 10:24:19 -0700

> it possible to have a Diameter Identity that contains more than one

I suppose it SHOULD be possible for a redirect server to return a host
with multiple transports. no?

PatC