Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue 58: e2e draft essr/essa delay

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 15:44:56 -0700

We discussed this topic today, which is whether the correct design choice
was made in introducing a new round trip to establish a Diameter SA. The
point was made that if some optimization is done, it will require that 
some (possibly sensitive) information will be disclosed in the process
of setting up a key. For example:

     NAS                                      Server

     ------------ AAA + PAP PW -------------->
     <-- HEY! Don't send PAP here's a key ----
     ----- AAA + Encrypted PAP PW ----------->

Therefore, the is no choice other than to have a round trip to establish
the SA, such as:

     NAS                                      Server

     ---------------- ESSR ------------------->
     <--------------- ESSA --------------------
     ------------ AAA + PAP PW --------------->

So the group decided that we could close this issue without any changes
to the protocol specification, and would entertain any objections from the
WG.

Thanks,

PatC