Subject: [AAA-WG]: [issue] Issue 35: Device-Reboot-Ind isn't an appropriate name

From: "Mark Jones" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 10:32:53 -0400

Submitter name: Mark Jones
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: Interim AAA Meeting in May, 2001
Reference: Issue #35 on http://www.diameter.org/issues.html
Document: Base
Comment type: T
Priority: 2
Section: 3.1, 6.0, 6.2.*, 8.*, 9.2.2.4
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

The Device-Reboot-Ind (DRI) command is mis-named since this command is
sent when Diameter peers establish a transport connection and this does
not necessarily imply a reboot of either peer. The command is sent to
inform the receiver of the identity and capabilities of the sender and so
Device-Capability-Request/Device-Capability-Answer are more appropriate
for this command exchange.

Requested changes:

+ Replace references to "DRI" with "DCR/DCA".

+ Remove section for Device-Reboot-Ind.

+ Add section for Device-Capability-Request:

    The Device-Capability-Request (DCR), indicated by the Command-Code
    set to 257, is sent by the initiator of the transport connection to
    inform a Diameter peer of the identity and capabilities of the sender.

+ Add section for Device-Capability-Answer:

    The Device-Capability-Answer (DCA), indicated by the Command-Code
    set to [x], is sent in response to a DCR to inform a Diameter peer
    of the identity and capabilities of the responder.

+ Command content is unchanged from DRI except that
Device-Capability-Answer also contains the Result-Code AVP
(DIAMETER_SUCCESS, DIAMETER_UNSUPPORTED_VERSION,
DIAMETER_NO_COMMON_EXTENSION).

+ Update peer state machine: replace *-I-*-DRI with -DCR and *-R-*-DRI
with -DCA

Regards,
       Mark