Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue 29: IPv6 AVPs

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 16:44:54 -0700

All,

This one was previously owned by Bernard, but we have no issue on it, so I've taken it
over, below, and am proposing text to close this one.

PatC
----
Issue 29: IPv6 AVPs 
Submitter name: Pat Calhoun 
Submitter email address: [email-masked] 
Date first submitted: 2001-06-05 
Reference: 
Document: nasreq 
Comment type: C 
Priority: 1 
Section: 7.2.5 
Rationale/Explanation of issue: 

At the Interim Meeting, Bernard stated that two RADIUS ipv6 
attributes were missing from the NASREQ application, specifically 
the Framed-Interface-Id, and the Framed-IPv6-Prefix. 

Proposed Text: 

7.2.5.4 Framed-Interface-Id AVP 

    The Framed-Interface-Id AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Unsigned64 and 
    contains the IPv6 interface identifier to be configured for the user. 
    It MAY be used in authorization requests as a hint to the server that 
    a specific interface id is desired, but the server is not required to 
    honor the hint in the corresponding response. 

7.2.5.5 Framed-IPv6-Prefix AVP 

    The Framed-Interface-Id AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Address and 
    contains the IPv6 prefix to be configured for the user. It MAY be 
    used in authorization requests as a hint to the server that a 
    specific interface id is desired, but the server is not required to 
    honor the hint in the corresponding response.

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 23:43:47 -0700 (PDT)

Actually, I think there are two more missing: Framed-IPv6-Pool and
Framed-Ipv6-Route. I'll have updated text for these later this week.

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 08:39:40 -0700

> Framed-Ipv6-Route. I'll have updated text for these later this week. 

Bernard,

Here is the proposed text for the two new AVPs:

7.2.5.6  Framed-IPv6-Route AVP

   The Framed-IPv6-Route AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type UTF8String, and
   contains the routing information to be configured for the user on the
   NAS. Zero or more such AVPs MAY be present in an authorization
   response.

   The string MUST contain an IPv6 address prefix followed by a slash
   and a decimal length specifier stating how many high order bits of
   the prefix should be used. That is followed by a space, a gateway
   address in hexadecimal notation, a space, and one or more metrics
   separated by spaces. For example:
      "2000:0:0:106::/64 2000::106:a00:20ff:fe99:a998 1".

   Whenever the gateway address is the IPv6 unspecified address the IP
   address of the user SHOULD be used as the gateway address, such as:
      "2000:0:0:106::/64 :: 1".

7.2.5.7  Framed-IPv6-Pool AVP

   The Framed-IP-Route AVP (AVP Code 22) is of type UTF8String, and
   contains the name of an assigned pool that SHOULD be used to assign
   an IPv6 prefix for the user. If the access device does not support
   multiple prefix pools, it SHOULD ignore this AVP.

---

From: David Spence <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 16:27:20 -0400

See editorial corrections, below.

>     The Framed-Interface-Id AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Address and
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
          Framed-IPv6-Prefix

>     specific interface id is desired, but the server is not required to
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^
               IPv6 prefix

-- 
David Spence                            email: [email-masked]
Interlink Networks, Inc.                phone: (734) 821-1203
775 Technology Drive, Suite 200         fax:   (734) 821-1235
Ann Arbor, MI 48108           
U.S.A.

---

From: David Spence <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 16:29:57 -0400

>    address of the user SHOULD be used as the gateway address, such as:
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^               ^^
         Framed-IP6-Pool               [not 22]

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 08:30:21 -0700 (PDT)

> >    multiple prefix pools, it SHOULD ignore this AVP.

Glen Zorn has recommended that the SHOULD be changed to MUST, and I've
updated the latest version to reflect this.

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 08:32:33 -0700 (PDT)

> >     The Framed-Interface-Id AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Address and
Multiple prefix attributes can be sent, so I think you want to pluralize
this.

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 09:44:19 -0700

> updated the latest version to reflect this. 

ok. btw, it is mandatory that I get the RADIUS attribute numbers before the
NASREQ spec can be sent to the RFC editor. Is there anyway that you could
send in the IANA request (alternatively, I can do it if you don't have time).

Thanks,

PatC