Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue #3: Bring back UTF-8

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 06:52:57 -0700

All,

Mark Eklund made a proposal in http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/aaa-wg/2001-05/msg00392.html,
and there hasn't been any discussions on this. This e-mail was specifically targetted to
Erik Guttman and Juergen, but no response was received.

Do people feel comfortable with this approach? I believe that this request has been made
several times in the past year, and there seemed to be considerable interest. Of course,
we could simply state that this is a dictionary issue, and doesn't belong in the core
specs, but it would be nice to allow dictionary creation to follow the author of an
application's original intent, and not have any second guessing to do.

Comments?

PatC

---

From: David Frascone <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 09:18:32 -0500

I think that the "Derived Data Formats" are something that should be left to
implementations.  If we want to formalize them, it should be in a different
draft, and should not be in Diameter's critical path.

Currently, we have implemented something similar in XML, anthough Mark has 
done MUCH more work than we have on formalizing the types.

So, I guess my vote is that it is a dictionary issue.  Although, that does 
*not* imply that it cannot be formalized.  Just that it should not be 
formalized in the core documents. 

-Dave