Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue 20: How to handle no common extensions

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 16:18:16 -0700

All,

This one was previously owned by Paul, but we have no issue on it, so I've taken it
over, below, and am proposing text to close this one.

PatC
----
Issue 20: How to handle no common extensions
Submitter name: Pat Calhoun 
Submitter email address: [email-masked] 
Date first submitted: 2001-06-05 
Reference: 
Document: Base 
Comment type: C 
Priority: 1 
Section: 2.1 
Rationale/Explanation of issue: 

At the Interim meeting there were discussions on how to handle the 
case where two peers connect, and realize that they have no common
applications (was extensions). My take on this is that they should
disconnect, since there will not be any further protocol exchanges,
but Paul preferred that they stay in communication.

Requested change: 

None. Section 6.0 in the -06 draft currently states:

"   A receiver of a Capabilities-Exchange-Req message which does not have any
    applications in common with the sender MUST return a
    Capabilities-Exchange-Answer with the Result-Code AVP set to
    DIAMETER_NO_COMMON_APPLICATION, and SHOULD disconnect the transport layer
    connection."

---

From: "Fredrik Johansson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 16:03:56 +0200

Perhaps it should be stated that a node that advertise a wildcard should
keep the connection.

/Fredrik

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf
>Of Pat Calhoun
>Sent: den 6 juni 2001 01:18
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue 20: How to handle no common extensions
>
>
>All,
>

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 09:44:13 -0700

> Perhaps it should be stated that a node that advertise a wildcard should

fair enough, how about:

   A receiver of a Capabilities-Exchange-Req (CER) message which does
   not have any applications in common with the sender MUST return a
   Capabilities-Exchange-Answer (CEA) with the Result-Code AVP set to
   DIAMETER_NO_COMMON_APPLICATION, and SHOULD disconnect the transport
   layer connection. Note that receiving a CER or CEA from a peer
   advertising itself as a Relay (see section 6.1) MUST be interpreted
   as having common applications with the peer.

PatC