Subject: [AAA-WG]: [issue] Address Name and 20 byte IPV6 length.

From: Mark Eklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 11:24:07 -0400 (EDT)

Submitter name: Mark Eklund
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: 06-Jun-2001
Reference: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2851.txt
Document: Base
Comment type: T
Priority: 2
Section: 4.3 AVP Data Formats
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]> suggested that we may want
to look into two related issues for the Address data format.

1. We may want to change the name to IpAddress to make it clearer 
   that this is restricted to IP addresses.

2. RFC 2851 also has a 20 byte IPv6 addresses.  We may consider allowing
   a 20 byte address.

Both of these issues need to be at least addressed (no pun intended) 
on the mailing list.

Requested change:

1. I don't care either way if it is Address or IpAddress.  I would
   suggest it be IPAddress (capital P) if it is changed.  This is
   just because if we are capitalizing first letters of words, 
   I consider acronyms to be multiple words.

2. As far as I can tell, the extra four bytes in the 20 byte IPv6 
   address is to identify which interface the address is associated
   with if more than one interface has an address.  Since we never
   did this for RADIUS and IPv4, I don't suggest we do it for IPv6.

====================================================================