Subject: [AAA-WG]: Proposed for 26, 38 and 48

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 15:32:03 -0700

All,

The following is the concept that was agreed upon during today's discussion. I'd
like to request comments.

Thanks,

PatC
----
10.12  Session-Binding AVP

   The Session-Binding AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Unsigned32, and MAY
   be present in application-specific authorization answer messages. If
   present, this AVP MAY inform the Diameter client that all future
   application-specific re-auth messages for this session MUST be sent
   to the same authorization server. This AVP MAY also specify that a
   Session-Termination-Request message for this session MUST be sent to
   the same authorizing server.

   This field is a bit mask, and the following bits have been defined:

      RE_AUTH                    1
         When set, future re-auth messages for this session MUST NOT
         include the Destination-Host AVP. When cleared, the default
         value, the Destination-Host AVP MUST be present in all re-auth
         messages for this session.

      STR                        2
         When set, the STR message for this session MUST NOT include the
         Destination-Host AVP. When cleared, the default value, the
         Destination-Host AVP MUST be present in the STR message for
         this session.

      ACCOUNTING                 4
         When set, all accounting messages for this session MUST include
         the Destiation-Host AVP. When cleared, the default value, the
         Destination-Host AVP MUST be present in all accounting messages
         for this session.

10.13  Session-Server-Failover AVP

   The Session-Server-Failover AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Enumerated,
   and MAY be present in application-specific authorization answer
   messages that include the Session-Binding AVP with a non-zero value.
   If present, this AVP MAY inform the Diameter client that if a re-auth
   or STR message fails due to a delivery problem, the Diameter client
   SHOULD issue a subsequent message without the Destination-Host AVP.
   When absent, the default value is REFUSE_SERVICE.

   The following values are supported:

      REFUSE_SERVICE             0
         If either the re-auth or the STR message delivery fails,
         terminate service with the user, and do not attempt any
         subsequent attempts.

      TRY_AGAIN                  1
         If either the re-auth or the STR message delivery fails, resend
         the failed message without the Destination-Host AVP present.

      ALLOW_SERVICE              2
         If re-auth message delivery fails, assume that re-authorization
         succeeded.  If STR message delivery fails, terminate the
         session.

      TRY_AGAIN_ALLOW_SERVICE    3
         If either the re-auth or the STR message delivery fails, resend
         the failed message without the Destination-Host AVP present.
         If the second delivery fails for re-auth, assume re-
         authorization succeeded.  If the second delivery fails for STR,
         terminate the session.

---

From: "Fredrik Johansson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 10:10:25 +0200

Hi,

The Session-Binding AVP and the Session-Server-Failover AVP both suggests
the same thing. The former suggest that if it has a non-zero value the
Destination-Host AVP should NOT be present and the latter says that if the
former has a non-zero value it should try without the Destination-Host AVP.

I don't believe that it's a good idea to change the Session-Binding AVP
because the default value of zero should mean that the Destination-Host AVP
must be present, so how about changing the Session-Server-Failover AVP to:

   The Session-Server-Failover AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Enumerated,
   and MAY be present in application-specific authorization answer
   messages that does not include the Session-Binding AVP or include the
   Session-Binding AVP with any of the bits set to a zero value.
   If present, this AVP MAY inform the Diameter client that if a re-auth
   or STR message fails due to a delivery problem, the Diameter client
   SHOULD issue a subsequent message without the Destination-Host AVP.
   When absent, the default value is REFUSE_SERVICE.

      REFUSE_SERVICE             0

      TRY_AGAIN                  1

      ALLOW_SERVICE              2

/Fredrik

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
>Pat Calhoun
>Sent: den 8 juni 2001 00:32
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: [AAA-WG]: Proposed for 26, 38 and 48
>
>
>All,
>

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:12:07 -0700

> former has a non-zero value it should try without the Destination-Host AVP.

[proposed text deleted]

Fredrik,

I accept your proposed text, with a minor grammatical change. It will appear
in version -06 of the base protocol, and I believe that we can now close
this issue.

Thanks,

PatC