Subject: [AAA-WG]: NAS-Key-Binding should be optional in NAS-Session Key AVP (NASREQ )

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 11:04:54 +0300

Hi,

The ABNF grammar of the NAS-Session Key AVP is following:

     NAS-Session-Key ::= < AVP Header: 408 >
                          { NAS-Key-Direction }
                          { NAS-Key-Type }
                          { NAS-Key }
                          { NAS-Key-Binding }
                        * [ AVP ]

However, the description of the NAS-Key-Binding AVP says that:

"This AVP MAY be present in a response from the Diameter server to inform
the client of the type of key found in the NAS-Session-Key AVP."

In order to make the ABNF grammar correct for the NAS-Session-Key AVP then
the NAS-Key-Binding AVP should be optional. Right?

Br, Jaakko

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:33:40 -0700

> the NAS-Key-Binding AVP should be optional. Right?

No, I believe that the correct fix is to change MAY to MUST in the
NAS-Key-Binding AVP definition.

I'll create an issue for this later today.

PatC

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 13:02:52 -0700

> I'll create an issue for this later today.

Having looked at the text, I changed the text to:

"  The NAS-Key-Binding AVP (AVP Code 404) is of type Enumerated, and
   specifies the purpose for the key. A Diameter client MAY include
   this AVP in a request to specify to the Diameter server the type
   of key it desires. Responses that include the NAS-Session-Key AVP
   MUST include this AVP which is used to specify the type of  
   key found in the NAS-Key-Data AVP."

The reason for the MAY, was that the NAS-Key-Session MAY be present, but
if it is, the NAS-Key-Binding MUST be present.
PatC
PatC