Subject: [AAA-WG]: RADIUS Authentication Server IP address

From: "Valeria Garello" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 16:50:02 +0200

Hi all,
I've just recently subscribed to the AAA working group and  I've some questions
about RADIUS Authentication.
We are going to implement the Radius Authentication Client MIB from RFC2618 and
I've seen that the RADIUS Server IP address is READ-ONLY in that MIB:
1) What is the reason for that ? How should an SNMP manager tell to the RADIUS
client the IP address of its RADIUS servers ?
Which MIB should we implement in order to have the RADIUS  Server IP address
settable from an SNMP manager ?
Is it not reasonable for an SNMP manager to set the Radius servers IP address
into the RADIUS client ?

2) How comes that radiusAuthServerTable is indexed by an integer (ra
diusAuthServerIndex) and not by an IP address (i.e. radiusAuthServerAddress) ?
In my opinion it would be more usable for an SNMP manager to retrieve an entry
in that table by using as an index the RADIUS Server IP address instead of a
simple integer, that would force the SNMP manager to read first the entire table
in order to find out all the indexes.

Thank you and regards
     Valeria Garello

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 07:50:56 -0700 (PDT)

This is the mailing list of the AAA WG, which is focussed on standardizing
the Diameter protocol. Questions relating to RADIUS are off-topic,
except as they relate to the design of Diameter. Please take these issues
to the RADIUS WG mailing list, available at [email-masked].