Subject: [AAA-WG]: [issue] Editorial changes concerning AVPs Destination-Host, MIP-Previous-FA-Host, MIP-Previous-FA-Addr

From: Guenter Schaefer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 16:27:42 +0200

Subject: [issue] Editorial changes concerning Destination-Host,

Submitter name:  Guenter Schaefer
Submitter email address:  [email-masked]
Date first submitted:  July 26, 2001
Reference: http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/aaa-wg/msg01631.html
           http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/aaa-wg/msg01591.html
Document: Diameter Base Specification (I) and 
          Mobile IPv4 Application (II)
Comment type: ?
Priority: ?
Section: 6.6, 6.2, 5.3.2, 5.4.2, 5.5.2 in (I), 2.2, 2.4 in (II)
         1.4, 2.1, 4.0. 4.5, 4.6, 8.1, 8.2 in (II)

Rationale/Explanation of issue:

 - There is an inconsistency regarding the Destination-Host AVP
   in the Diameter base protocol (I) and the Mobile IPv4 
   application (II)
   ("draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-07.txt", 
    "draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-mobileip-07.txt").
   Sections 6.2 and 6.6 of the base protocol specify that the
   Destination Host AVP MUST NOT be present in answer messages.

   However, the base protocol requires this AVP in the DPA and DWA 
   messages and lists it as optional for the CEA message.
   The Mobile IPv4 application requires this AVP in the AMA and HAA 
   messages.
   [sections 6.6, 6.2 5.4.2, 5.5.2, 5.3.2  in (I), 
             2.2, 2.4, in (II)]

 - The Mobile IPv4 application still mentions the AVPs 
   MIP-Previous-FA-Host and MIP-Previous-FA-Addr 
   even though fast handoff support has been postponed 
   for further study.
   [sections 1.4, 2.1, 4.0. 4.5, 4.6, 8.1, 8.2 in (II)]

Requested change:

 1. EITHER change section 6.6 in the diameter base specification to

    "6.6  Destination-Host AVP
 
     The Destination-Host AVP (AVP Code 293) is of type 
     DiameterIdentity. This AVP MUST be present in all unsolicited 
     agent initiated messages, MAY be present in request messages, 
     and MAY be present in Answer messages."

    and change section 6.2 in the base specification accordingly,

    OR 

    delete the Destination-Host AVP from 
     - the DPA, DWA and CEA messages in the base specification 
       [sections 5.4.2, 5.5.2, 5.3.2 in (I)]
     - the AMA and HAA messages in the Mobile IPv4 application
       [sections 2.2, 2.4 in (II)]

 2. In the Mobile IPv4 application all paragraphs concerning
    the AVPs MIP-Previous-FA-Host and MIP-Previous-FA-Addr 
    should be deleted in order to reflect postponing of
    fast handoff support for further study.
    [sections 1.4, 2.1, 4.0. 4.5, 4.6, 8.1, 8.2 in (II)]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guenter Schaefer, Institute of Telecommunication Systems,
Technical University of Berlin, Einsteinufer 25, 10587 Berlin, Germany, 
Phone: +49 30 314 23836, Fax: - 23818, Email: [email-masked]