Subject: [AAA-WG]: One basic question

From: "Ghadiyaram Venkata (EXT-TataConsultancy/Helsinki)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:31:29 +0200

Hi,

I have one question out of curiosity. 

What if the AVP header also contains the data type information? 

       0                   1                   2                   3
       0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |                           AVP Code                            |
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |V M P D r r r r|                  AVP Length                   |
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |                        Vendor-ID (opt)                        |
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |                        DataType code                          |
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |    Data ...
                +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

DataType code - The code representing the data type. 
D flag - Tells wheher the data type is vendor specific or not.

I feel that this reduces a lot of overhead on the implementations. Any
comments...

Is this already considered previously. If yes, why is it rejected. 

Thanks and regards,
Kishore