Subject: [AAA-WG]: [issue] Proxiable messages MUST contain Axxx-Application-Id AVP

From: "Bob Kopacz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 14:49:03 -0500

Issue : Proxiable messages MUST contain Axxx-Application-Id AVP
Submitter name:          Bob Kopacz
Submitter email address: [email-masked] 
Date first submitted:    01-25-2002 
Reference: 
Document:                Base 
Comment type:            Technical 
Priority:                1 
Section:  

  [I know last-call is over, but pending issues haven't been resolved
  yet, and I think this is a bug].

Rationale/Explanation of issue: 

  Accounting messages and application-specific messages have an
  Axxx-Application-Id AVP which identifies the application (e.g.
  Mobile IP).  

  The Auth-Application-Id AVP is currently prohibited from being present
  in the Session-Terminate-Request, Abort-Session-Request, and
  Re-Auth-Request messages.  

  This creates a routing problem for intermediate proxy or relay servers
  when receiving an STR/ASR/RAR.  The intermediate server's routing
  table may indicate that, say, Mobile-IP messages route to a different
  next hop than NASREQ messages.  An STR message, however, contains no
  application-id AVP indicating NASREQ-v-MobileIp, so the intermediate
  server doesn't know how to route it.

Requested change: 

  1. Require an Auth-Application-Id AVP in Session-Terminate-Request,
  Abort-Session-Request, and Re-Auth-Request messages.  

  2. Update occurrence rule tables for the "Auth-Application-Id AVP"
  row, from "0" to "1", for STR and ASR and RAR.