Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue #250, Sub Issue, Unreferenced references

From: Mark Eklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 14:42:32 -0500 (EST)

When Jari did the work of determining Normative vs Informative, he
couldn't find the following references referenced in the body of the
base draft.  Do we leave them in, or drop them from the base?  

My vote, drop 4, 5, 6, 14, and 19 from the base (keep in CMS if it
makes sense).  I have no opinion on 39, and 48.

No mention of MD5 in this draft:
[4]  Rivest, "The MD5 Message-Digest Algorithm", RFC 1321, April 1992.

No mention in this draft:
[5]  Kaufman, Perlman, Speciner, "Network Security: Private Communica-
     tions in a Public World", Prentice Hall, March 1995, ISBN
     0-13-061466-1.

A part of the obsolete Integrity-Check-Value AVP
[6]  Krawczyk, Bellare, Canetti, "HMAC: Keyed-Hashing for Message
     Authentication", RFC 2104, January 1997.

Older drafts mentioned DIAMETER Message Security requiring a Public Key 
Infrastructure.
[14] Myers, Ankney, Malpani, Galperin, Adams, "X.509 Internet Public Key
     Infrastructure Online Certificate Status Protocol (OCSP)", RFC
     2560, June 1999.

No mention in this draft.
[19] Housley, Ford, Polk, Solo, "Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastruc-
     ture Certificate and CRL Profile", RFC 2459, January 1999.

No mention in the draft.
[39] "The Communications of the ACM"  Vol.33, No.6 (June 1990), pp.
     677-680.

No mention in the draft.
[48] P. V. Mockapetris, "Domain names - implementation and specifica-
     tion," RFC 1035, November 1987.

-mark

---

From: Tony Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 12:29:17 -0800

I agree, I don't see any point in having references listed, which are not
referenced in the spec.

Furthermore, I went through the same exercise with the Mobile IP spec and
found the following:

13.0  References

  Informative
  ===========

[3]  S. Glass, S. Jacobs, C. Perkins, "Mobile IP Authentication, Autho
     rization, and Accounting Requirements". RFC 2977. October 2000.

[6]  B. Aboba, M. Beadles "The Network Access Identifier." RFC 2486.
     January 1999.

[7]  B. Aboba, G. Zorn, "Criteria for Evaluating Roaming Protocols", RFC
     2477, January 1999.

[8]  P. Calhoun, C. Perkins, "Mobile IP Network Address Identifier
     Extension", RFC 2794, March 2000.

[11] S. Bradner, "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate Requirement Lev
     els", BCP 14, RFC 2119, March 1997.

[13] H. Krawczyk, M. Bellare, and R. Cannetti.  HMAC: Keyed-Hashing for
     Message Authentication.  RFC 2104, February 1997.

[16] T. Hiller and al, "CDMA2000 Wireless Data Requirements for AAA",
     RFC 3141, June 2001.

[17] National Institute of Standards and Technology, "Secure Hash Stan
     dard",  Technical Report NIST FIPS PUB 180-1, U.S. Department of
     Commerce, April 1995.

[18] D. Eastlake, 3rd, S. Crocker, and J. Schiller.  Randomness Recom
     mendations for Security.  Request for Comments (Informational)
     1750, Internet Engineering Task Force, December 1994.

  Normative
  =========

[1]  P. Calhoun, H. Akhtar, J. Arkko, E. Guttman, A. Rubens, "Diameter
     Base Protocol", draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-08.txt, IETF work in
     progress, November 2001.

[2]  Narten, Alvestrand,"Guidelines for Writing an IANA Considerations
     Section in RFCs", BCP 26, RFC 2434, October 1998

[4]  C. Perkins, Editor. IP Mobility Support. RFC 2002, October 1996.

[5]  C. Perkins, P. Calhoun, "Mobile IP Challenge/Response Extensions".
     RFC 3012. November 2000.

[9]  P. Calhoun, W. Bulley, S. Farrell, "Diameter CMS Security Applica
     tion", draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-cms-sec-03.txt, IETF work in
     progress, November 2001.

[15] C. Perkins, P. Calhoun, "AAA Registration Keys for Mobile IP",
     draft-ietf-mobileip-aaa-key-08.txt, IETF work in progress, July
     2001.

Seem unnecessary (quick search didn't reveal references):
=========================================================
[10] Kent, Atkinson, "IP Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP)",
       RFC 2406, November 1998.

[12] F. Yergeau, "UTF-8, a transformation format of ISO 10646",
       RFC2279, January 1998.

[14] P. Calhoun, W. Bulley, A. Rubens, J. Haag, "Diameter NASREQ
Application",
       draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-nasreq-08.txt, IETF work in progress,
November 2001.

/Tony