Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue 252: Granting Access via Accounting

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 22:45:41 +0200

Hi all,

Just to be sure I've got it, should the following be removed
from 8.2  Accounting Session State Machine.

Pending   Successful accounting          grant      Open
          start answer received          access

or ??

John

Issue 252: Granting Access via Accounting 
Submitter name: Bernard Aboba [email-masked] 
Submitter email address: [email-masked] 
Date first submitted: 28-Dec-01 
Reference: 
Document: base 08 
Comment type: Technical 
Priority: S 
Section: 8.2 
Rationale/Explanation of issue: 
Access is not granted based on receipt of a successful 
accounting start answer 

Change: 
In the state table on pp. 86, it states that in Pending state, receipt of 
a Successful accounting start answer results in "grant access" and 
movement to the Open state. Since access is granted within the 
authentication/authorization state machine, this appears to be an error.

---

From: "Jari Arkko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 21:56:09 +0200

No. The 'grant service' action should be deleted, but not
the entry.

Then there's actually a missed modification to the accounting
state machine in [1]. We need to take that, issue 271 new state
table, and then this modification. There needs to be some
merge of the Discon state and the new style of handling record
sends proposed in 271. PendingB state missed error case.

As a result, the full state table should be like this:

Idle      Client or device requests      send       PendingS
          access                         accounting
                                         start req.

Idle      Accounting start request       send       Open
          received, and successfully     accounting
          processed.                     start
                                         answer

Idle      Client or device requests      send       PendingE
          a one-time service             accounting
                                         event req

Idle      Accounting event request       send       Idle
          received, and successfully     accounting
          processed.                     event
                                         answer

Idle      Records in storage             Send       PendingB
                                         record

Open      Receive Interim Record         send       Open
                                         accounting
                                         answer

Open      User service terminated        send       PendingL
                                         accounting
                                         stop req.

Open      Accounting stop request        send       Idle
          received, and successfully     accounting
          processed                      stop answer

PendingL  Successful accounting                     Idle
          stop answer received           

PendingL  Failure to send and buffer     Store      Idle
          space available                Stop
                                         Record
                        
PendingL  Failure to send and no buffer             Idle
          space available    

PendingE  Successful accounting                     Idle
          event answer received          

PendingE  Failure to send and buffer     Store      Idle
          space available                Event
                                         Record
                        
PendingE  Failure to send and no buffer             Idle
          space available    

PendingS  Successful accounting          grant      Open
          start answer received          access

PendingS  Failure to send and buffer     Store      Open
          space available and realtime   Start
          not equal to DELIVER_AND_GRANT Record

PendingS  Failure to send and no buffer             Open
          space available and realtime   
          equal to GRANT_AND_LOSE       
                       
PendingS  Failure to send and no buffer  Disconnect Idle
          space available and realtime   user/dev
          not equal to
          GRANT_AND_LOSE                                             
                            
PendingI  Failure to send and (buffer    Store      Open
          space available or old record  Interim
          can be overwritten) and        Record
          realtime not equal to
          DELIVER_AND_GRANT  

PendingI  Failure to send and no buffer             Open
          space available and realtime   
          equal to GRANT_AND_LOSE       
                       
PendingI  Failure to send and no buffer  Disconnect Idle
          space available and realtime   user/dev
          not equal to GRANT_AND_LOSE  

PendingB  Successful accounting answer   Delete     Idle
          received                       record

PendingB  Failure to send                           Idle

Jari

[1] http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/aaa-wg/2001-12/msg00000.html

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: 26. helmikuuta 2002 22:45
Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue 252: Granting Access via Accounting 

Hi all,

or ??

John

Change:

---

From: "Jari Arkko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 21:59:00 +0200

Sigh, forgot to remove 'grant access'. Retry:

                        

                        

PendingS  Successful accounting                     Open
          start answer received