Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: Accouting AVP issue...

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 09:59:02 +0200

Hi David,

> So, after all this rambling, I suggest the following:
> 
> 1) Both MIP and NASREQ should define the AVPs.
> 
> 2) Both drafts should contain the verbatim text that is now in MIP
>    (not the erroneous text that is now in NASREQ).
> 
> 3) The NASREQ draft should contain additional NASREQ usage instructions 
>    copied verbatim from RADIUS except for the part about only being present 
>    in stop records, which is no longer true.]
> 
> 4) The MIP editor may want to consider adding usage instructions as well.
> 
> 5) The word Extended should be removed from from the attribute names.  The
>    difference between the Acct- prefix and the Accounting- prefix can 
>    distinguish the RADIUS attributes from the Diameter attributes.  Also 
>    the AVP codes are different -- 363-366 for the Diameter AVPs.
> 
> 6) The Accounting-Session-Time AVP should be renamed to Acct-Session-Time
>    for compatibility with RADIUS because it shares the RADIUS AVP Code of
>    46.

This works for me (since it seems to imply no changes to the base, which I like ;)

John

---

From: David Spence <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 17:13:25 -0500

I have addressed this issue in the following way in nasreq.  Let me know 
if you have any disagreements with this.

I have left the accounting AVPs shared with mip in the nasreq draft.  
Wording is now as follows:
   
   8.1  Accounting-Input--Octets AVP                                       
|
   
      The Accounting-Input-Octets AVP (AVP Code 363) is of type Unsigned64,
|
      and contains the number of octets received from the user.  
      
      For NASREQ usage, this AVP indicates how many octets have been       
|
      received from the port in the course of this session and can only be 
|
      present in ACR messages with an Accounting-Record-Type of            
|
      INTERIM_RECORD or STOP_RECORD.                                       
|

   8.2  Accounting-Output-Octets AVP                                       
|
   
      The Accounting-Output-Octets AVP (AVP Code 364) is of type           
|
      Unsigned64, and contains the number of octets sent to the user.      
|
   
      For NASREQ usage, this AVP indicates how many octets have been sent  
|
      to the port in the course of this session and can only be present in 
|
      ACR messages with an Accounting-Record-Type of INTERIM_RECORD or     
|
      STOP_RECORD.

   8.3  Acct-Session-Time AVP                                              
|
   
      The Acct-Session-Time AVP (AVP Code 46) is of type Unsigned32, and   
|
      indicates the length of the current session in seconds.  It can only 
|
      be present in ACR messages with an Accounting-Record-Type of         
|
      INTERIM_RECORD or STOP_RECORD.

   8.4  Accounting-Input-Packets AVP                                       
|
   
      The Accounting-Input-Packets (AVP Code 365) is of type Unsigned64,   
|
      and contains the number of packets received from the user.           
|
   
      For NASREQ usage, this AVP indicates how many packets have been      
|
      received from the port over the course of a session being provided to
|
      a Framed User and can only be present in ACR messages with an        
|
      Accounting-Record-Type of INTERIM_RECORD or STOP_RECORD.

   8.5  Accounting-Output-Packets AVP                                      
|
   
      The Accounting-Output-Packets (AVP Code 366) is of type Unsigned64,  
|
      and contains the number of IP packets sent to the user.              
|
   
      For NASREQ usage, this AVP indicates how many packets have been sent 
|
      to the port over the course of a session being provided to a Framed  
|
      User and can only be present in ACR messages with an Accounting-     
|
      Record-Type of INTERIM_RECORD or STOP_RECORD.
   
Note that I deleted the word "Extended" from the AVP names.  I also 
renamed Account-Session-Time to Acct-Session-Time for compatibility with 
RADIUS.

I deleted references to IP packets in the count AVPs because nasreq 
users do not necessarily receive IP services.

I added text from RADIUS to maintain RADIUS compatibility.

I extended the RFC 2866 notion that these AVPs only appear in stop 
records by also inlcuding interim records.

I did not include EVENT_RECORD in the list because the nasreq draft does 
not say anything about using this record type.  If there is a need for 
the nasreq application to use this record type then text will have to be 
added to say so and at that time I will add EVENT_RECORD to these AVPs.

I have moved the integer64 AVPs from the table in section 2.2 (Legacy 
RADIUS Attributes) to the table in section 2.1 (Diameter AVPs).  I have 
numbered them correctly in the 363-366 range.

I have made the following changes to the table in section 10.2.2 
(Non-Framed Access):

                                          +-----------+
                                          |  Command  |
                                          |    Code   |
                                          |-----+-----+
   Attribute Name                         | ACR | ACA |
   ---------------------------------------|-----+-----+
   Accounting-Input-Packets               | 0   | 0   |                  |
   Accounting-Output-Packets              | 0   | 0   |                  |

The numbers had been 1 before.  This is for compatibility with RADIUS 
which states that the packets are counted for users receiving a framed 
service and that they are counted at the port side (not the network 
side).