Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: [issue] AAA URI is Overloaded

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 16:02:22 +0200

Hi all,

I noticed that my example wasn't exactly correct, here is an update version:

=== updated example ====

   As an example, consider a client that wishes to resolve
   aaa:example.com. The client performs a NAPTR query for that
   domain, and the following NAPTR records are returned:

    ;;          order pref flags service           regexp  replacement
        IN NAPTR 50   50  "s"  "AAA+D2S"           ""  _aaa._sctp.example.com.
        IN NAPTR 90   50  "s"  "AAAS+D2T"          ""  _aaas._tcp.example.com.
        IN NAPTR 100  50  "s"  "AAA+D2T"           ""  _aaa._tcp.example.com

   This indicates that the server supports SCTP, TLS over TCP, and TCP, 
   in that order. Since the client supports SCTP, SCTP will be
   used, targeted to a host determined by an SRV lookup of
   _aaa._sctp.example.com. That lookup would return:

    ;;          Priority Weight Port   Target
        IN SRV  0        1      xxxx   server1.example.com
        IN SRV  0        2      xxxx   server2.example.com
	;; where xxxx is replaced by the well-known port for Diameter

John

---

From: David Spence <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 10:10:14 -0500

Wow!  This is a big change and I don't understand where this might lead well
enough to know how it impacts my issue.  So as you deal with your changes
regarding how server discovery works,  keep in mind the AVPs of type
DiameterIndentity which are used for message routing and make sure their
requirements are met, to wit:

1) A value of type DiameterIdentity must uniquely identify a "Diameter 
   node", which is an instance of a Diameter process running on an IP
   host.

2) There may be more than one "Diameter node" running on the same host
   and sharing the same IP address.

3) It must be possible to express a value of type DiameterIdentity in a
   canonical form so that each "Diameter node" will only have a single
   identifier in a domain.  Thus the type must not contain any parameters
   that are specific to a particular peer-to-peer connection.