Subject: [AAA-WG]: Simple question

From: "Zarubin Anton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 13:41:26 +0300

Hello all.

Sorry for this simple question, not appurtenant to DIAMETER.

Please help me to understand why we use one message to
authenticate/authorize user and two messages for accounting -start and stop.
Example - AA-request, Accounting-Request and Session-Termination Request.

Why we wouldn't to combine request for authentication with first request for
accounting?
If will appear necessity to use separately auth functions and acct functions
when possibly to utilize this single message with different attributes.

Thanks

Anton A. Zarubin
Saint-Petersburg, LONIIS
e-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: David Frascone <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 07:36:27 -0600

Comments inline.

> Why we wouldn't to combine request for authentication with first request for

What if the authentication server and accounting server are on two different
machines.  (Or, possibly in different realms).

-Dave