Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue 248: Error messages: decimal or hex? CLOSED

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 22:45:38 +0200

Hi all,

At this late point, I think that decimal is OK.  These have been
implemented and tested.  I fear that changing this now will introduce
confusion & editorial mishaps.

John

Issue 248: Error messages: decimal or hex? 
Submitter name: Bernard Aboba [email-masked] 
Submitter email address: [email-masked] 
Date first submitted: 28-Dec-01 
Reference: 
Document: base 08 
Comment type: 
Priority: 2 
Section: 7.1 
Rationale/Explanation of issue: 

Diameter distinguishes error classes according to the DECIMAL value of 
the Result-Code data field. This is widely used in protocols that 
utilize ASCII encoding (SMTP, HTTP, etc.). But it doesn't make much 
sense in a binary protocol such as Diameter. Shouldn't the HEX value 
of the Result-Code data field be used instead? 

For example: 

Is an Informational error message 1000 - 1999 in DECIMAL? Or is it 
10000000 - 1FFFFFFF in HEX?