Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: [issue] AAA URI is Overloaded

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 13:36:29 +0200

David,

> So as you deal with your changes regarding how server discovery works,  
> keep in mind the AVPs of type DiameterIndentity which are used for message 
> routing and make sure their requirements are met, to wit:
> 
> 1) A value of type DiameterIdentity must uniquely identify a 
>    "Diameter node", which is an instance of a Diameter process running 
>    on an IP host.
> 
> 2) There may be more than one "Diameter node" running on the same host
>    and sharing the same IP address.
> 
> 3) It must be possible to express a value of type DiameterIdentity in a
>    canonical form so that each "Diameter node" will only have a single
>    identifier in a domain.  Thus the type must not contain any parameters
>    that are specific to a particular peer-to-peer connection.

Thinking deeply about this, I have come to the conclusing that the Diameter
URI, DNS discovery and DiameterIdentity are not the same thing.  Therefore,
while these are related, we may need to seperate these within the draft.

Please comment on the text that I have sent to the list.

John

---

From: David Spence <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:44:48 -0500

Yes, as I said before, the current draft combines two different things into
one:

   1) Peer discovery and peer connection establishment

   2) Message forwarding

There is no reason that they should be related, however they do share one
need -- the identity of the Diameter process.  In both cases, the
combination of fqdn and a port that the process listens on is sufficient. 
So the two needs could use the same process identity, but the peer-to-peer
need requires additional information.