Subject: [AAA-WG]: ISSUE 250: ready for closure?

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 15:13:57 +0200

Hi all,

I've reviewed the previous threads on this & I feel we are ready to close on this.
Below is what I have.  Note I have moved to text reference tags - it makes things
somewhat easier.

Oddly enough, there were no direct references for UDP.  In section 4.4  Derived AVP 
Data Formats, udp is listed under transport-protocol, for the URI for aaa.  How should
we handle the UDP reference?

John

14.1 Normative

   [AAATRANS]     B. Aboba, J. Wood, "Authentication, Authorization and
                  Accounting (AAA) Transport Profile", draft-ietf-aaa-
                  transport-04.txt, IETF Work in Progress, June 2001.

   [ASSIGNNO]     Reynolds, Postel, "Assigned Numbers", RFC 1700,
                  October 1994.

   [CMS]          P. Calhoun, W. Bulley, S. Farrell, "Diameter CMS Secu-
                  rity application", draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-cms-sec-
                  03.txt, IETF work in progress, November 2001.

   [DIFFSERV]     K. Nichols, S. Blake, F. Baker, D. Black, "Definition
                  of the Differentiated Services Field (DS Field) in the
                  IPv4 and IPv6 Headers," RFC 2474, December 1998.

   [DIFFSERVAF]   J. Heinanen, F. Baker, W. Weiss, J. Wroclawski,
                  "Assured Forwarding PHB Group," RFC 2597, June 1999.

   [DIFFSERVEF]   V. Jacobson, K. Nichols, K. Poduri, "An Expedited For-
                  warding PHB", RFC 2598, June 1999.

   [DNSSRV]       A. Gulbrandsen, P. Vixie, L. Esibov, "A DNS RR for
                  specifying the location of services (DNS SRV)", RFC
                  2782, February 2000.

   [EAP]          L. J. Blunk, J. R. Vollbrecht, "PPP Extensible Authen-
                  tication Protocol (EAP)." RFC 2284, March 1998.

   [FLOATPOINT]   Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers,
                  "IEEE Standard for Binary Floating-Point Arithmetic",
                  ANSI/IEEE Standard 754-1985, August 1985.

   [IANA]         Narten, Alvestrand,"Guidelines for Writing an IANA
                  Considerations Section in RFCs", BCP 26, RFC 2434,
                  October 1998

   [IANAWEB]      IANA, "Number assignment", http://www.iana.org

   [IKE]          D. Harkins, D. Carrel, "The Internet Key Exchange
                  (IKE)", RFC 2409, November 1998.

   [IPComp]       A. Shacham, R. Monsour, R. Pereira, M. Thomas, "IP Pay-
                  load Compression Protocol (IPComp)", RFC 2393, December
                  1998.

   [IPV4]         ISI, "Internet Protocol", RFC 791, September 1981.

   [IPV6]         Hinden, Deering, "IP Version 6 Addressing Architec-
                  ture", RFC 2373, July 1998.

   [KEYWORDS]     S. Bradner, "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate
                  Requirement Levels", BCP 14, RFC 2119, March 1997.

   [NAI]          Aboba, Beadles "The Network Access Identifier." RFC
                  2486. January 1999.

   [RADTYPE]      IANA, "RADIUS Types", http://www.isi.edu/in-
                  notes/iana/assignments/radius-types

   [SCTP]         R. Stewart et al., "Stream Control Transmission Proto-
                  col". RFC 2960. October 2000.

   [SLP]          E. Guttman, C. Perkins, J. Veizades, M. Day. "Service
                  Location Protocol, Version 2", RFC 2165, June 1999.

   [SECARCH]      S. Kent, R. Atkinson, "Security Architecture for the
                  Internet Protocol", RFC 2401, November 1998.

   [SNTP]         Mills, "Simple Network Time Protocol (SNTP) Version 4
                  for IPv4, IPv6 and OSI, RFC 2030, October 1996.

   [TCP]          Postel, J. "Transmission Control Protocol", RFC 793,
                  January 1981.

   [TEMPLATE]     E. Guttman, C. Perkins, J. Kempf, "Service Templates
                  and Service: Schemes", RFC 2609, June 1999.

   [TLS]          T. Dierks, C. Allen, "The TLS Protocol Version 1.0", RFC
                  2246, January 1999.

   [URI]          T. Berners-Lee, R. Fielding, U.C. Irvine, L. Masinter,
                  "Uniform Resource Identifiers (URI): Generic Syntax".
                  RFC 2396, August 1998.

   [UTF8]         F. Yergeau, "UTF-8, a transformation format of ISO
                  10646", RFC 2279, January 1998.

14.2  Non-Normative

   [ABNF]         D. Crocker, P. Overell, "Augmented BNF for Syntax Specif-
                  ications: ABNF", RFC 2234, November 1997.

   [ACCMGMT]      B. Aboba, J. Arkko, D. Harrington. "Introduction to
                  Accounting Management", RFC 2975, October 2000.

   [CDMA2000]     T. Hiller and al, "CDMA2000 Wireless Data Requirements
                  for AAA", RFC 3141, June 2001.

   [DIAMMIP]      P. Calhoun, C. Perkins, "Diameter Mobile IP Application",
                  draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-mobileip-08.txt, IETF work in
                  progress, November 2001.

   [DNSSEC]       D. Eastlake, "Domain Name System Security Extensions",
                  RFC 2535, March 1999.

   [DNSSECOP]     D. Eastlake, "DNS Security Operational Considerations",
                  RFC 2541, March 1999.

   [DNSSIG]       D. Eastlake, "DNS Request and Transaction Signatures (
                  SIG(0)s )", RFC 2931, September 2000.

   [MIPV4]        C. Perkins, Editor.  IP Mobility Support.  RFC 2002,
                  October 1996.

   [MIPREQ]       S. Glass, S. Jacobs, C. Perkins, "Mobile IP Authentica-
                  tion, Authorization, and Accounting Requirements". RFC
                  2977. October 2000.

   [NASREQ]       P. Calhoun, W. Bulley, A. Rubens, J. Haag, "Diameter
                  NASREQ Application", draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-nasreq-
                  08.txt, IETF work in progress, November 2001.

   [NASCRIT]      M. Beadles, D. Mitton, "Criteria for Evaluating Network
                  Access Server Protocols", RFC 3169, September 2001.

   [PPP]          W. Simpson, "The Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP)", RFC
                  1661, STD 51, July 1994.

   [PROXYCHAIN]   B. Aboba, J. Vollbrecht, "Proxy Chaining and Policy
                  Implementation in Roaming", RFC 2607, June 1999.

   [RADIUS]       C. Rigney, A. Rubens, W. Simpson, S. Willens, "Remote
                  Authentication Dial In User Service (RADIUS)", RFC 2865,
                  June 2000.

   [ROAMCRIT]     B. Aboba, G. Zorn, "Criteria for Evaluating Roaming Pro-
                  tocols", RFC 2477, January 1999.

---

From: "Jari Arkko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 17:02:47 +0200

> we handle the UDP reference?

We refer to SCTP and TCP in section 2.1 because they are Diameter transport
protocols. I believe UDP is only talked about in 4.4 because it can appear in
URIs due to Radius backwards compatibility, and because UDP/TCP/SCTP
are relevant for filters.

Just to be on the very safe side, why don't you put the correct references
to UDP/TCP/SCTP in section 4.4 as well. UDP is RFC 768. This would be
a .... normative reference I think because you have to be able to understand
what the URIs mean. Or?

Jari

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 06:42:47 -0800 (PST)

> we handle the UDP reference?

Can we remove this reference? Otherwise, I'd say make UDP non-normative.