Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: Issue 279: Base does not sufficiently explain what 'MAY encrypt means - CLOSED for BASE

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 21:44:59 +0200

Hi Stephen,

> After some off-list discussion it appears that the following
> is the correct interpretation of the "MAY encr" column:
> 
> "For the originator of a Diameter message, "MAY encr" means 
> that if a message containing that AVP is to be sent via a 
> proxy/agent then the message MUST NOT be sent unless there 
> is a DSA between the originator and the recipient OR the 
> originator has locally trusted configuration that indicates 
> that CMS need not be used."
> 
> I'll put this into CMS, but would also recommend it go 
> somewhere in the base.

I'll make this change

ORIGINAL TEXT

 4.6  Diameter Base Protocol AVPs

	The following table describes the Diameter AVPs defined 
	in the base protocol, their AVP Code values, types, possible
	flag values and whether the AVP MAY be encrypted.  If an AVP 
	MAY be encrypted, section 2.0 of the Diameter CMS security
	extension [CMS] defines in which situations the encryption is 
	actually employed.

NEW TEXT:

 4.6  Diameter Base Protocol AVPs

	The following table describes the Diameter AVPs defined 
	in the base protocol, their AVP Code values, types, possible
	flag values and whether the AVP MAY be encrypted.  For the 
	originator of a Diameter message, "MAY Encr" means that if 
	a message containing that AVP is to be sent via a 
	proxy/agent then the message MUST NOT be sent unless there 
	is a DSA between the originator and the recipient OR the 
	originator has locally trusted configuration that indicates 
	that CMS need not be used.

John