Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: Re: Pending Issue about MIP-Key-Lifetime AVP

From: Thomas Panagiotis-PTHOMAS1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 07:20:00 -0600

Tony,

 "The value of the MIP-Key-Lifetime AVP MUST be at least equal to
  the value in the Authorization Lifetime AVP. If the value is greater,
  it SHOULD be a multiple of the value in the Authorization Lifetime AVP." 

Recommending the MIP-Key-Lifetime to be a multiple of the MIP
(Authorization)
lifetime doesn't mean much when you don't want to go through AAA upon every
handoff - the two timers will soon get out of sync.

-Panos

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Johansson [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2002 7:21 PM
To: Pat R. Calhoun
Cc: Bob Kopacz; aaa-wg
Subject: Re: [AAA-WG]: Re: Pending Issue about MIP-Key-Lifetime AVP

"Pat R. Calhoun" wrote: 
 
> But, in the AAA Registration Keys for Mobile IP, which we are 
> dependent on, you can only > tell the mobile one timer (the 
> Lifetime). The Lifetime AAA Registration Keys for Mobile  IP 
> indicates the duration of time (in seconds) for which the MN-FA and 
> MN-HA keys are  valid. When the keys expires the MN must re-auth, 
> so seen from the MN the authorization  lifetime and the key 
> lifetime is very much the same thing. Right? 
But there is a fundamental difference between the Lifetime field in 
the MIP header, and the lifetime fields in the individual aaa-key 
extensions. Right? 
 
Ahh, the Authorization lifetime is used for the tunnel update and the
MIP-Key lifetime is used for the keys.... 
So, what about to following additional text to the draft to explain /
clarify the usage of the MIP-Key-Lifetime AVP and Authorization Lifetime
AVP, see below. All, comments / objections. 
Regards, 
/Tony 
"1.6  Diameter Session Termination 
   A Foreign and Home Agent following this specification MAY expect 
   their respective Diameter servers to maintain session state 
   information for each mobile node in their networks. In order for the 
   Diameter Server to release any resources allocated to a specific 
   mobile node, the mobility agents MUST send a Session-Termination- 
   Request (STR) to the Diameter server that authorized the service. The 
   Session-Termination-Request (STR) MUST be issued by the mobility 
   agents if the Authorization Lifetime has expired and no subsequent 
   MIP registration request have been received. 
   ........ " 

   New section: 
   
   "5.1 Authorization Lifetime vs. MIP Key Lifetime 
   
   The Diameter Mobile IP application makes use of two timers the 
   Authorization-Lifetime AVP [DIAMBASE] and the MIP-Key-Lifetime AVP. 
   The Authorization-Lifetime contains the number of seconds before the 
   Mobile Node must issue a subsequent MIP registration request. The 
   content of Authorization-Lifetime AVP corresponds to the Lifetime 
   field in the MIP header [MOBILEIP]. 
   The MIP-Key-Lifetime AVP contains the number of seconds before 
   session keys destined for the Home Agent and/or Foreign Agent expire. 
   A value of zero indicates infinity (no timeout). The value of the 
   MIP-Key-Lifetime AVP MUST be at least equal to the value in the 
   Authorization Lifetime AVP. If the value is greater, it SHOULD be a 
   multiple of the value in the Authorization Lifetime AVP."

---

From: Tony Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 21:24:32 -0800

So, do you want me to remove the recommendation and then it is OK?

/Tony