Subject: [AAA-WG]: Remove MIP-Home-Agent-Host AVP

From: Tony Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 14:37:23 -0800

All,

Section 4.11 in the Diameter MIPv4 appl. defines the MIP-Home-Agent-Host
AVP and contains the identity of the home agent requested by the mobile
node in its registration request. This AVP is used by the AAAH to
determine the destination of the HAR.

However, this AVP demands changes to the Mobile IP protocol  and looking
back at the Issue 212 thread
(http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/aaa-wg/2001-11/msg00062.html) the
consensus was to NOT make use of this AVP. The agreed solution for Issue
212 was instead to require that the new AAAH perform the Server
Discovery procedures (defined in the Base) to determine the URL of the
Home Agent.

So, I believe this AVP is an editorial mistake and should just be
removed. Any objections to this?

Regards,

/Tony

---

From: "Fredrik Johansson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:04:04 +0100

yes, I object to this. Since server discovery will not work when a FA or HA
is situated behind a NAT. And that is a possible scenario (at least for a
FA). Thus server discovery will not work.

section 4.5 in draft-ietf-mobileip-nat-traversal-00.txt
"The UDP Tunnel Request Extension MAY be used in a Mobile IP
   Registration Request forwarded by a foreign agent to a home agent
   when the foreign agent is situated behind a NAT"

What changes are required to the Mobile IP protocol? It might be something
obvious, but I'm not up to speed after my 3 week skiing vacation.

/Fredrik

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
>Tony Johansson
>Sent: den 19 februari 2002 23:37
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: [AAA-WG]: Remove MIP-Home-Agent-Host AVP
>
>
>All,
>

---

From: "Fredrik Johansson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:54:09 +0100

Please disregard my previous mail, the HA must have a public address so it
will work

sorry

/fredrik

>Fredrik Johansson
>Sent: den 20 februari 2002 10:04
>To: Tony Johansson; [email-masked]
>Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: Remove MIP-Home-Agent-Host AVP
>
>