Subject: [AAA-WG]: RE:draft-johansson-aaa-diameter-mm-app-01.txt

From: "Carolina Canales Valenzuela (ECE)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 18:42:24 +0100

Hello,
taking in account the requirements draft "draft-calhoun-sip-aaa-reqs-03" (http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-calhoun-sip-aaa-reqs-03.txt), in section 3.0, bullet 4, I can see there's a requirement for the AAA infrastructure  to distribute (*push or pull*)subscriber/service/security profiles to the relevant SIP servers.

In "draft-johansson-aaa-diameter-mm-app-01" this has been implemented as an only, bi-directional command, PUR (section 3.5). This command might be issued either by the AAA or by the SIP server, in order to update the user profile in the corresponding node.

However, I think it could be useful to split this command in 2 uni-directional commands, one issued from the AAA and another one issued by the SIP server.

The fact that such a command can be issued from the same node as a request and as a reply, adds a lot of complexity in the implementation part. Why not using two different commands? I think there is no shortage of command codes, right? ;-).

BR,
Carolina

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 1:02 PM
>Cc: [email-masked]
>Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-johansson-aaa-diameter-mm-app-01.txt
>
>
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line 
>Internet-Drafts directories.
>
>
>	Title		: Diameter Multimedia Application
>	Author(s)	: T. Johansson et al.
>	Filename	: draft-johansson-aaa-diameter-mm-app-01.txt
>	Pages		: 31
>	Date		: 11-Feb-02
>	
>This document specifies a Diameter application that allows a Diameter
>server to authenticate, authorize, and collect accounting information
>for Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) services rendered to a client
>node.  This application, combined with the base Diameter protocol and
>appropriate SIP extensions, allows SIP User Agents (UAs) to obtain
>services from SIP servers that are connected to a Diameter
>infrastructure.  When combined with the Inter-Domain capability of
>the base protocol, service may even be obtained from SIP servers that
>belong to foreign domains, as would be encountered by roaming mobile
>nodes.
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-johansson-aaa-diamete
r-mm-app-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-johansson-aaa-diameter-mm-app-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-johansson-aaa-diameter-mm-app-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.