Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: Issue 303: Security model for peer discovery and redirect

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 14:30:14 +0200

Hi Randy,

> security should not be an "implementation issue."  authentication
> of a referred host by the host which receives their request would
> seem to be pretty basic security.

My feeling was that Service Discovery is an implementation issue,
partly because only Manual Configuation is Mandatory.  The other
2 are MAYs.  Of course, we should ensure that service discovery
via SLP or DNS is secure.
 
> on first blush, it seems to me that there are only three ways to
> solve this (but it's still early here)
> 
>   o trusted referrer gives referee a signed cert to be handed to
>     the host to which they refer them
> 
>   o trusted referrer acts as a relay/proxy, with all the kink
>     that gets us
> 
>   o never talk to folk with whom you do not have a configured
>     relationship

Agreed.  

John

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 04:41:07 -0800

> via SLP or DNS is secure.

do i smell the issue being discussed elsewhere where we learn that
the trust hierarchy of the dns does not infer authoritative trust
in a host/service referred to from the dns?

e.g. because i followed a secure dns chain down to an A record for
foo.bar does not lead me to have any trust in the host/port i reach
when i use that A record.

randy