Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: Issue 303: Security model for peer discovery and redirect

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 15:08:33 +0200

Hi Randy,

> > My feeling was that Service Discovery is an implementation issue,
> > partly because only Manual Configuation is Mandatory.  The other
> > 2 are MAYs.  Of course, we should ensure that service discovery
> > via SLP or DNS is secure.
> 
> do i smell the issue being discussed elsewhere where we learn that
> the trust hierarchy of the dns does not infer authoritative trust
> in a host/service referred to from the dns?
> 
> e.g. because i followed a secure dns chain down to an A record for
> foo.bar does not lead me to have any trust in the host/port i reach
> when i use that A record.

I agree completely.  When using of DNS, let the buyer beware.

John

---

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 14:29:09 +0100 (MET)

John, Randy,

> I agree completely.  When using of DNS, let the buyer beware.

With SLP a client can trust a signed service advertisement from
a server to the extent that the server has a private key and the 
client has a corresponding public key.  Possession of the private
key indicates authoritative trust in the server to advertise itself
using SLP.  

SLP itself doesn't distribute keys, or certs - that is left to the 
administrators deploying SLP.  This mechanism has been used, by at 
least one product.

Erik