Subject: [AAA-WG]: [issue] Relax Service-Type from REQUIRED to RECOMMENDED in nasreq

From: David Spence <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 10:40:14 -0500

Subject: [issue] Relax Service-Type from REQUIRED to RECOMMENDED in nasreq

Submitter name: David Spence
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: March 1, 2002
Reference: 
Document: NASREQ
Comment type: T
Priority: 1
Section: various
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

Although nasreq-08 is not entirely consistent on this, it seems to require
the Service-Type AVP to appear in all messages.  Unfortunately, RADIUS does
not make this requirement.  Therefore I am relaxing the requirement in
nasreq from MUST to SHOULD.  The alternative would be to add an heuristic to
the RADIUS/Diameter gateway section explaining how a RADIUS to Diameter
gateway should infer the value of the Service-Type based on the attributes
present in the RADIUS message.  Being lazy, I opt for relaxing the
requirement.

Requested change:

State that Service-Type SHOULD (rather than MUST) be included, change the
ABNF from "{ Service-Type }" to "[ Service-Type ]", and change the AVP
Ocurrence Tables from 1 to 0-1.