Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue: Diameter Mobile IP application & backwards compatibility

From: Tony Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 15:12:21 -0700

Description of issue: Diameter Mobile IP application & backwards
compatibility
Submitter name: Tony Johansson
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: 2002-04-25
Reference:
Document: mip-10
Comment type: T
Priority: S
Section:
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

In the existing deployments of Mobile IP clients, especially those that
will soon be deployed for IS-835 (the cdma2000 standard).  There have
been concerns raised about mandating the use of the AAA NAI extension in
the mip-10 as it requires restrictions on the client-to-network
interface.

Requested change:
As the mip-10 now is worded the AAA NAI is mandatory to over come the
previous found issues, e.g. in cases of multiple AAAH's in the same
domain, etc. However, to over come backwards compatibility issues for
those that would like to let Mobile IP clients (i.e. those clients that
are now deployed) run with the Diameter Mobile IPv4 application with
limited functionality, I would like to change the text in the mip-10
draft from a MUST to a SHOULD for the use of the AAA NAI extension. In
other words, make the AAA NAI/HA NAI optional and the consequences of
not using the AAA NAI/HA NAI would be beyond the scope of the draft.

Any comments / objections to this.

/Tony