Subject: [AAA-WG]: [issue] "Closed" in peer state machine vs "DOWN" in failover state machine

From: Liu Qiong Bo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 10:46:22 +0800

Submitter name: Qiong Bo Liu
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: April 26, 2002
Reference: http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/aaa-wg/msg03954.html
Document: base-10, transport-07
Comment type: T
Priority: ?
Section: 5.6 in base, 3.4.1 and appendix A in transport

Rationale/Explanation of issue:
in Diameter base protocol-10, section5.6, the 2nd paragraph: "This state 
machine is closely coupled with the state machine described in [AAATRANS], 
which is used to open, close, failover, probe, and reopen transport 
connections. Note in particular that [AAATRANS] requires the use of 
watchdog messages to probe connections. For Diameter, DWR and DWA messages 
are to be used."

in transport-07, appendix A, there is a failover state machine with a state 
of DOWN.

In the state of DOWN, does it mean that this transport connection is 
closed, and the related socket is closed. hence when tw time expires, the 
diameter node try to open another socket and try to connect to the peer?

If it is, then what is the difference between DOWN and closed?

Requested change:
suggest to give a complete peer state machine combining with failover state 
machine