Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: Issue #327: Message routing and vendor specific app lications

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 10:33:33 +0300

Hi Pat,
 
 "If the application is one defined by the Diameter workgroup the 
vendor id is 0."  
 
Excellent - I'll add this.
 
John

---

From: Johan Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 14:14:43 +0200

Actually I think Pat's suggestion was to *replace* that which was in the 
originally suggested text with:

"For all IETF standards track Diameter applications, the vendor id
MUST be set to zero."

while my favourite is to merge both suggestions to

"For all IETF standards track Diameter applications, the vendor id is 0."

The reasoning behind not using "MUST be set to" is that the 
application's identifier can not be set. It *is* identified by vendor id 
0 and application id X and if the vendor id is non-0 you have identified 
another application. The entry in the routing table can be set, but to 
say that you MUST set it to the application you want to route seems to 
insult implementor's intelligence.

j