Subject: [AAA-WG]: [issue]: New generic host identification AVPs

From: "Bob Kopacz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 14:35:37 -0500

Issue :  New generic host identification AVPs
Submitter name:         Bob Kopacz 
Submitter email address:[email-masked] 
Date first submitted:   04-03-2002 
Reference: 
Document:               Base-10, Mobile-IPv4-10
Comment type:           Technical 
Priority:               1 
Section: 

Rationale/Explanation of issue: 

  In the Mobile IPv4 draft, there are various AVPs which carry the
  identity, or identity+realm, of the various participants in a mobile
  session.

  The current plus proposed AVPs are:

  - MIP-Home-Agent-Host ::= < Grouped AVP:... >
                             { Destination-Realm }
                             { Destination-Host }
                           * [ AVP ]

  - MIP-Home-Agent-Address AVP = IP address of HA

  - MIP-Originating-Foreign-AAA ::= < Grouped AVP:... >
                                    { Origin-Realm }
                                    { Origin-Host }
                                  * [ AVP ]

  - MIP-Candidate-Home-Agent-Host = diameter identity of candidate HA

  - MIP-Foreign-Agent-Host = diameter identity of FA

  The existing set of identification AVPs has become muddled: Sometimes
  the realm is part of the information, sometimes the realm is inferred
  from other information.  The IP address information is carried
  separately from the identity.  And the original meaning of the existing
  Destination-xxx and Origin-xxx AVPs has been overloaded so that new AVPs
  needn't be created.

Requested Change:

  1. Create three generic AVPs, called "Host-Identity" and "Host-Realm"
  and "Host-IPv4-Address", which are intended to be member AVPs of a
  grouped AVP.  

  Define these AVPs in the Base document, right after the 6.x sections
  which define the Origin-xxx and Destination-xxx AVPs.  The reason for
  putting these in the Base document is so that they are made available
  to other applications.

    "6.x Host-Identity AVP

    "The Host-Identity AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type DiameterIdentity and
    contains the identity of a Diameter agent.  This AVP is intended to be
    a member of a grouped AVP which carries a collection of Diameter
    identification information for a Diameter node.

    "6.x Host-Realm AVP

    "The Host-Identity AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type UTF8String and contains
    the realm of a Diameter agent.  This AVP is intended to be a member of
    a grouped AVP which carries a collection of Diameter identification
    information for a Diameter node.

    "6.x Host-IPv4-Address AVP

    "The Host-IPv4-Address AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type IPAddress and
    contains the IPv4 address of a Diameter agent.  This AVP is intended to
    be a member of a grouped AVP which carries a collection of Diameter
    identification information for a Diameter node."

  2. In the Diameter Mobile IPv4 draft, redefine the
  AVPs which carry the identification information for the
  participants in the mobile session, as follows:

     MIP-Originating-Foreign-AAA ::= < AVP Header:... >
                                      { Host-Realm }
                                      { Host-Identity }

     MIP-Candidate-Home-Agent     ::= < AVP Header:... >
                                      { Host-Realm }
                                      { Host-Identity }

     MIP-Foreign-Agent            ::= < AVP Header:... >
                                      { Host-Realm }
                                      { Host-Identity }

     MIP-Home-Agent               ::= < AVP Header:... >
                                      { Host-Realm }
                                      { Host-Identity }
                                      [ Host-IPv4-Address ]

---

From: Tony Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 18:38:31 -0800

Consistency  is always a good thing and I think this is a good idea. However,
this is by all means not necessary changes and we are very close to being
done.....

So what do others think about this.

/Tony

---

From: Johan Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 10:20:29 +0200

As discussed in issue 305 of late there seems to be little if any use 
for anything except the IP address of the FA, so it at least seems 
reasonable to make the MIP-Foreign-Agent-Host avp contain an IPv4 
address. This will become clearer in the next few days no doubt.

j