Subject: [AAA-WG]: [issue] Usage of 'Diameter process' confusing

From: Greg Weber <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 17:31:15 -0400 (EDT)

Usage of 'Diameter process' confusing
Submitter name: Greg Weber
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: 5/7/2002
Reference: none
Document: base
Comment type: 'E'ditorial 
Priority: '2' May fix 
Section: 2.1 Transport
Rationale/Explanation of issue: 

Regarding this this text:
  "A Diameter node MAY initiate connections from a source port other
   than the one that it declares it accepts incoming connections on, and
   MUST be prepared to receive connections on port TBD. A given Diameter
   process MUST NOT use more than one transport connection to
   communicate with a given peer, unless multiple processes exist on the
   peer in which case a separate connection per process is allowed."

The term "process" seems to be used in an operating system specific
manner.  This may be confusing, e.g. what is the 'Diameter process'
in a JVM implementation where there are no processes, only threads.  
We should be explicit as we are expressing what MUST NOT be done.

'Diameter process' is not defined elsewhere in the draft.

Requested change: 
I suggest changing "process" to "instance of the peer state machine"

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 16:52:03 -0700 (PDT)

Assigned issue #340.