Subject: [AAA-WG]: Applicaiton ID in the header

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 22:07:49 +0300

Hi all,

Studying this a bit further, I propose the following:

  0                   1                   2                   3
  0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 |      Ver      |                 Message Length                |
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 |R P E r r r r r|                  Command-Code                 |
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 |                         Application-ID                        |
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 |                      Hop-by-Hop Identifier                    |
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 |                      End-to-End Identifier                    |
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 |  AVPs ...
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Where the application id can be one of the following:

	authentication application id
	accounting application id
	vendor specific application id

IANA will assign a range of application ids:

	0x0000001 - 0x00ffffff for standard applications
	0xff00000 - 0xfffffffe for vendor specific applications 

Vendor-specific applicaion ids must be registered via IANA

The application id in the header MUST be the same as what is contained
in any relevant AVPs.

I think this will make things much clearer. 

Comments?

John