Subject: [AAA-WG]: Text needed for: Applicaiton ID in the header

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 22:15:44 +0300

Hi all,

Here is the text that I think is needed.  There are some other
places that need to be cleaned up as well.

John

  0                   1                   2                   3
  0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 |      Ver      |                 Message Length                |
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 |R P E r r r r r|                  Command-Code                 |
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 |                         Application-ID                        |
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 |                      Hop-by-Hop Identifier                    |
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 |                      End-to-End Identifier                    |
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 |  AVPs ...
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

[some text]

   Application-ID

	Application-ID is four octets and is used to identify to which 
	application the message is applicable for.  The application can 
 	be an authentication application, an accounting application or a 
	vendor specific application.  See section 11.3 for the possible 
	values that the application-id may use.  

	The application-id in the header MUST be the same as what is contained
	in any relevant AVPs contained in the message.

11.3  Application Identifiers

  As defined in section 2.4, the Application Identifier is used to identify 
  a specific Diameter Application. There are standards-track application ids 
  and vendor specific application ids.

  IANA [IANA] will assign the range 0x00000001 to 0x00ffffff for standards-track 
  applications; and 0xff00000000 - 0xfffffffe for vendor specific applications.

  Both Application-Id and Acct-Application-Id AVPs use the same Application Identifier 
  space.

  Vendor-Specific Application Identifiers, encoded in the Vendor-Specific-Application-Id 
  Grouped AVP, with the Vendor-Id AVP set to the vendor's enterprise number, is for 
  Private Use.

  Note that the Diameter protocol is not intended to be extended for any purpose. 
  Any applications defined MUST ensure that they fit within the existing framework, 
  and that no changes to the base protocol are required.