Subject: [AAA-WG]: Vendor ID

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 09:50:24 +0300

In section 3 Diameter Header

There is the Vendor-ID field:

  In the event that the Command-Code field contains a vendor specific 
  command, the four-octet Vendor-ID field contains the IANA assigned 
  "SMI Network Management Private Enterprise Codes" [ASSIGNNO] value. 
  If the Command-Code field contains an IETF standard Command, the Vendor-ID 
  field MUST be set to zero (0). Any vendor wishing to implement a 
  vendor-specific Diameter command MUST use their own Vendor-ID along with 
  their privately managed Command-Code address space, guaranteeing that they 
  will not collide with any other vendor's vendor-specific command, nor with 
  future IETF applications. All vendor-specific Diameter commands require 
  Informational RFCs documenting the command unless for Private Use as described 
  in Section 11.2.1.

My feeling is that should be updated to this:

  In the event that the Command-Code field contains an experimental 
  command, the four-octet Vendor-ID field contains the IANA assigned 
  "SMI Network Management Private Enterprise Codes" [ASSIGNNO] value. 
  If the Command-Code field contains an IETF standard Command, the Vendor-ID 
  field MUST be set to zero (0). Any vendor using an experimental Diameter 
  command MUST use their own Vendor-ID.

John