Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: Text needed for: Applicaiton ID in the header

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 09:14:33 +0300

Hi Glen,

> > > If the Application-Id is unique and in the header, is the
> > > Vendor-Id needed anymore in the header?
> >
> > That is the proposal.
> 
> Maybe I'm missing something here.  The IESG is apparently complaining (I say
> "apparently" because, despite several requests for technical explanation,
> none has been forthcoming) about VSEs.  How, exactly, does this proposal
> solve this problem?

As far as I understand, the complaint is not about vendor specific extentions,
but only vender specific command codes.  As near as I can tell, VSCs could
be problematic as they directly affect interoperability with 'standard'
implentations (i.e. - you need to have the code to support VSCs; VSCs are
not advertised; etc.).

The proposal is to allow a small range of re-usable experimental command codes.
These codes would be uniquely identifiable by application id + experimental
command code.

Side affects are:  
	1) Application ID is needed in the Diameter header for efficient processing
	2) Application ID should be unique, even for vendor specific applications
	3) Vendor ID is not be needed in the Diameter Header then.

Does this cause any technical problems for anyone?

John

---

From: "Fredrik Johansson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 13:55:24 +0200

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
> Behalf Of [email-masked]
> Sent: den 5 juli 2002 08:15
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: Text needed for: Applicaiton ID in the header
>
>
> Hi Glen,
>

Yes they are if we do as Glen said and demand that when adding VSC you have
to have a new application id (vendor specific).

BTW, I can't understand why we bother to put all this energy to find a
workaround to something that's not a problem. We should instead focus on
getting the iesg to explain why this has to be changed. Since randy refuses
to answer the question, is there anyone else that we can talk to?

/fredrik