Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-12.txt

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 08:44:23 +0300

Hi Yoshihiro,

> IMHO, a better way is to define a truely temporary command code values
> that are exclusively assigned by IANA but have expiration date (e.g.,
> two years after assignment).  After the expiration date, the temporary
> command code values will be deleted from the IANA registry and reused
> for other temporary use after sometime.  So standardization action is
> inevitable before the expiration date if the requester want to assign
> stable command code values for the temporary command codes.  Given
> that, Vendor-ID and Application-ID are not needed in the Diameter
> header and it becomes simpler.  But I could be wrong.

That could be a way forward - however, I've never requested such an IANA
registry before.  Do you have any suggestions on how to do this - any
examples of this being done before?

Thanks,
John

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 23:05:16 -0700

> examples of this being done before?

iana does temp assignments.  but, documentation, i.e. rfc, has been
required.  before we go down this path, perhaps a bit of thought if
this is the best strategy.

randy

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 11:46:54 -0400

According to RFC 2434, number allocation policy is basically
determined by IANA Consideration Section in RFCs, not by IANA.  So, I
think IANA is flexible to support various kinds of assignment
policies.  So, just defining a new assignment policy, e.g, "First Come
First Served with Time Constraint" policy and describing it in "IANA
Consideration Section" of the Diameter base specification should work.

Note that the suggested assignment policies are just for a specific
command code space.  For "standard" command code space, "Standards
Action" MUST be applied, of course.

In addition, we can also hold the current experimental (or private)
command code values for which no interoperability is guaranteed at any
time.  "Private Use" policy can be applied for this.

Yoshihiro Ohba