Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: Text needed for: Applicaiton ID in the header

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 21:57:42 +0300

The assumption doesn't stand, because there is nothing preventing an operator to provide both 3G services and "classical" Internet services (or any other services making use of Diameter) to the same set of clients. If the resolution of the AAA server cannot be done based on application, then the only way to distinguish the services remains the static configuration of the network.

Adrian

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Randy Bush [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 01 July, 2002 17:36
To: Bernard Aboba
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: Text needed for: Applicaiton ID in the header

an underlying assumption of vendor-specific command codes in the
3gpp environment seems to be that the hosts using them are all from
a single vendor.  if this is true, then there is no other vendor's
equipment interoperating.  hence, there should be no need to
identify a vendor-id, and the extended command codes should have no
problems with not being unique to that vendor.

and be careful not to tell me that they need to interoperate in a
multi-vendor environment, as that's what standards are all about.

randy

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 12:30:25 -0700

i suspected as much.  the operators will have gear from multiple
vendors and running multiple applications.  hence, we need to
standardize all this stuff so that they all interoperate cleanly,
and operators, aka users, have vendor independence.  not a problem.
that's what the ietf is all about and is why we all get the big
bucks.

randy

---

> The assumption doesn't stand, because there is nothing preventing an
> operator to provide both 3G services and "classical" Internet services
> (or any other services making use of Diameter) to the same set of
> clients. If the resolution of the AAA server cannot be done based on
> application, then the only way to distinguish the services remains the
> static configuration of the network.
> 
> Adrian
>