Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: Text needed for: Applicaiton ID in the header

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 09:08:09 +0300

Hi Randy,

> an underlying assumption of vendor-specific command codes in the
> 3gpp environment seems to be that the hosts using them are all from
> a single vendor.  if this is true, then there is no other vendor's
> equipment interoperating.  hence, there should be no need to
> identify a vendor-id, and the extended command codes should have no
> problems with not being unique to that vendor.

If life was only so simple.  It seems that in the 3GPP case, the
vendor is '3GPP'.  All members implementing the 3GPP AAA application
MUST conform to the 3GPP specs.

> and be careful not to tell me that they need to interoperate in a
> multi-vendor environment, as that's what standards are all about.

From what I know, 3GPP is concerned about interoperability and do
require vendors to be able to demonstrate interoperability (I don't
know what kind of mechanisms they have in place for this).  

As vendors & carriers are all involved in this process in 3GPP, it
may be enough for 3GPP specific networks - but I think we need to
bring the 3GPP specifications into the IETF to ensure interoperability
with the Internet.  I think we just need a good plan on how to do this.

John

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 23:34:37 -0700

> MUST conform to the 3GPP specs.

ok.  but i do not see how this alters my argument.  s/vendor/3gpp/

> with the Internet.  I think we just need a good plan on how to do this.

agreed.

randy