Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue 375: Command code allocations for 3GPP Release 5 and 6

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:41:15 -0700 (PDT)

Issue 375: Command code allocations for 3GPP Release 5 and 6
Submitter name: Thomas Narten
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: October 21, 2002
Reference:
Document: Base
Comment type: T
Priority: S
Section: 11.2.1
Rationale/Explanation of issue

Section 11 of the Diameter Base document uses the term "experimental"
in a confusing way, since "experimental codes" have a different meaning
per draft-narten-iana-experimental. For example, experimental codes are
not for permanent use, and revoking the allocation after a year
is not likely to satisfy 3GPP/3GPP2.

Resolution (discussed by IESG, AAA editors, 3GPP):

Allocate permanent command codes to 3GPP Release 5 via a separate
document:
http://www-nrc.nokia.com/sua/draft-loughney-aaa-cc-3gpp-00.txt

Command codes for 3GPP Release 6 to be allocated from the standard command
space, with IETF documentation. The current intent as agreed with 3GPP is
to develop a standards track application addressing the needs of AAA for
SIP/SDP and encompassing the requirements of the cellular community.

Change Section 11.2.1 as described in
http://www-nrc.nokia.com/sua/draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-15.txt :
(changes highlighted)

11.2.1 Command Codes

The Command Code namespace is used to identify Diameter commands. The
values 0-255 are reserved for RADIUS backward compatibility, and are
defined as "RADIUS Packet Type Codes" in [RADTYPE]. Values
256-16,777,213 are for permanent, standard commands, allocated by
IETF Consensus [IANA]. This document defines the Command Codes 257,
258, 271, 274-275, 280 and 282. See section 3.1 for the assignment of
the namespace in this specification.

---> 2 experimental command codes.

The values 16,777,214 and 16,777,215 (hexidecimal values FFFFFE -
FFFFFF) are reserved for experimental commands. As these codes are
only for experimental and testing purposes, no guarantee is made for
interoperability between Diameter peers using experimental commands,
as outlined in [IANA-EXP].