Subject: [AAA-WG]: MIPv4 & Diameter MIPv4 application part

From: Xin Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 10:35:53 +0100

Dear all,

I have a question on the early stage of learning both AAA and mobile IP.

Mobile IPv4 defines that during mobile node registration procedure, the
foreign agent relays the registration request sent by the mobile node to its
home agent.

On the other hand, Diameter Mobile IP application defines that during mobile
node registration procedure, the foreign agent sends AMR diameter message to
home agent.

Therefore I see that there are two different implementation on the foreign
agent, one is relaying and one is sending AMR. 

Does this mean that if Mobile IP is used with the Diameter Mobile IP
application part, then foreign agent and home agent are not needed to be
implemented in the way which is defined in Mobile IPv4 specification. Since
the foreign agent will have to map the parameters in the registration
request sent by mobile node to a AMR message AVPs and the home agent is not
needed to understand the registration request but the AMR?

Regards

Xin Chen
Mobile Network Architecture
Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe LTD
Tel: +44 (0) 2086064453
Mobile: +44 (0)7775741020