Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: Query on AAA Transport profile

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 10:03:02 +0200

Hi Bernard,

> 1. The action to be performed when the number of DWAs received in REPOEN state,
> is just incrementing NumDWA. Should not the  action also include
> SetWatchDog()?

No. The watchdog timer is set after it expires, not after receipt of the
NumDWA. 
[Kishore]Thanks for the clarification.

Recall the other two states:

REOPEN        SendWatchdog &
              !Pending             SetWatchdog()        REOPEN
REOPEN        SendWatchdog &
              Pending              SetWatchdog()        REOPEN

[Kishore]Now I see some redundancy here. Why is it not just
REOPEN        SendWatchdog         SetWatchdog()        REOPEN

> 2. The action performed when the connection is down on OK state is
>closing the connection and setting the watch dog timer. Should not the
>action also include failover()?

I don't think so. Failover() is called earlier, in the SUSPECT state. So
there's no need to call it again.
[Kishore]I was referring to the case when the connection goes down in OK state. 
OKAY          Connection down      Close Connection
                                   SetWatchdog()        DOWN
It does not enter the SUSPECT state at all. Example is the case when a connnection is abruptly closed by the peer due to some unknown error.

Regards,
Kishore

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 07:59:21 -0800 (PST)

> [Kishore]Thanks for the clarification.

The goal is to be conservative about re-opening a connection once it has
gone down, requiring two timer expirations, not just two DWAs.

> REOPEN        SendWatchdog         SetWatchdog()        REOPEN

Yes. In fact, in looking at the code and statemachine, it's not clear why
this entry is there at all. It can be consolidated into the other entries.

> It does not enter the SUSPECT state at all. Example is the case when a connnection
> is abruptly closed by the peer due to some unknown error.

Yes. This is correct.

In going over the sample code and state machine, I've also noticed a
number of inconsistencies between them. A cleaned up version of the code
and state machine, are available here:

http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/AAA/draft-ietf-aaa-transport-10.txt