Subject: [Aaa] Potential transition of AAA WG mailing list to ietf.org

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 13:21:31 -0800 (PST)

Due to a variety of nagging problems in maintenance of the current AAA WG
mailing list at MERIT, we are considering moving the list over to
ietf.org.

There are some pros and cons:

Pros:

The ietf.org list would use mailman, which enables postings from
outsiders and is less likely to randomly unsubscribe people.

Cons:

The old archives will be available via FTP, but not via the Web anymore.
We will however have a new Web archive.

If anyone has an opinion on the switchover, please post to the list. WE
are not irretrievably committed either way at the moment, but that won't
be true for a lot longer.

_______________________________________________
Aaa mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/aaa

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 05:58:26 +0200

Hi Bernard,

First off, I have no big opinion, but:

> outsiders [cut]

This is not necessarily a pro - the AAA mailing list has been
relatively free of spam ...

John

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 05:58:26 +0200

Hi Bernard,

John

---

From: "Russell, Nick, CND Tech Dev, VF UK" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 08:02:05 -0000

I agree with John, an open mailing list is not a pro. The main IETF list when I was on it received about 50% spam and 50% actual postings. Twas a bit of a pain to sift through it all.

If we do have to move over to using the IETF listserv, is there any possibility of using something like Spam Assassin (http://spamassassin.org/) to filter out at least some of the rubbish? I guess it won't filter out people who insist on sending out their Résumés/CVs to us, but maybe it might catch at least advertisements and porn.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 15 January 2003 3:58am
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [Aaa] Potential transition of AAA WG mailing list to
> ietf.org
> 
> 
> Hi Bernard,
>

---

From: "Russell, Nick, CND Tech Dev, VF UK" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 08:02:05 -0000

---

From: William Bulley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:15:15 -0500

> relatively free of spam ...

I didn't understand the part about the "randomly unsubscribe people"
and the "nagging problems".  Merit has assigned me to "maintain" this
list and if there are problems, someone should at least inform me of
them, yes?

I am unfamiliar with mailman but have started to read the mailman
home page.  Merit may have problems if the license is too strict,
but I haven't gotten that for yet.

Are there any problems with Merit's archive?  Changes/improvements
therein are possible.  Do folks in general want "postings from outsiders"?
I, too, value the "closed" nature of the list since it does keep the
SPAM away.

Regards,

web...

-- 
William Bulley                     Email: [email-masked]
Merit Network Inc.                 Ann Arbor, Michigan
_______________________________________________
Aaa mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/aaa

---

From: William Bulley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:15:15 -0500

Regards,

web...