Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: comment on diameter credit control

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 07:28:15 +0200

Hi Kuntal,

> >>Q1. What is a "home environment"? I guess it should be home network.
> > 
> > Yes, the home environment is the home network.
> > 
> 
> OK, then why don't we say "home network" instead, if you 
> don't mind :o)?

Will fix it.
 
> > Q2. Why are we precluding the Credit Control Server hosted 
> by a third party i.e.
> > neither visited nor home network provider?
> > The Credit Control Server is located in the same network 
> that own the user's account, which is usually the home 
> network. The visited network may proxy the service element 
> requests related to a visited user to the user's home 
> network, thus a Credit Control Proxy may be located in the 
> visited domain.
> 
> IMHO, that's how AAA system works i.e. the visited AAA routes 
> AAA messages  through proxy chain to the home AAA.

Agreed.

> > Perhaps the Credit Control Server may be hosted by third 
> party entity trusted by the home network, in cases where a 
> third party provider offers credit control services on behalf 
> of the home network (home network provider). In this case the 
> home network would forward the request to the trusted entity 
> providing credit control services, however, the third party 
> provider may be considered as an extention of the home 
> network, thus belonging to the "home environment". Would we 
> need some sentence explicitly covering  this scenario or do 
> you have something else in mind?
> 
> I did not know that you/authors assumed "home environment" 
> may include third 
> party (e.g. a prepaid reseller). In order to clarify the 
> scenario why don't we 
> say the following:
> 
> "
> Credit Control Server:  The home network interfaces with this 
> entity and is 
> accessed by the service elements for the purpose of allowed 
> usage determination 
> and credit control before the service event is delivered to 
> the end-user.
> "

I'll look into adding this.

John

---

From: Kuntal Chowdhury <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 09:31:53 -0600

Thanks for your consideration. I will provide more comments soon.

Regards,
Kuntal

---

From: Kuntal Chowdhury <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:22:05 -0600

Here are some more comments on section 2.

section 2:

"
    A service element provides services to end-users. When accounting is
    used a service element collects service event information and reports
    it while and/or after services are provided to an accounting server
    by using an accounting protocol. Alternatively the accounting server
    may query the service element for service event information.
"

The service element does not provide service to an accounting server, rather it 
provides service to an end-user.

Suggestion:

...service element collects service event information and reports it to the 
accounting server using an accounting protocol while and/or after services are 
provided to an end-user.

Section 2:

"
    If real-time credit control is required, the service element (credit
    control client) contacts the credit control server with service event
    information included before the service is provided. The credit
    control server, depending on the service event information, MAY
    perform the rating of the service event, pricing of the service
    event, credit check and credit-reservation from the account. The
    service element monitors the service execution according to the
    instructions returned by the credit control server. After the service
    completion the credit control server deducts the money from the
    account.
"

Suggestion:

    If real-time credit control is required, the service element (credit
    control client) contacts the credit control server with service event
    information included before the service is authorized. The credit
    control server, depending on the service event information, MAY
    perform the rating of the service event, pricing of the service
    event, credit check and credit-reservation from the account. The
    service element monitors the service execution according to the
    instructions returned by the credit control server. After the service
    completion or upon reaching the authorized usage limit the credit control 
         server reconciles the end-user's account balance based on the 
accounting          message received from the service element.

Section 2:

"
    If direct debiting/refunding is requested, the credit control server
    deducts/increases the end user's account, respectively. The service
    element can also enquire the price of the service or the account
    balance status from the credit control server.
"

Q: Who requests direct debit/refunding?
I think the credit control server does debit/credit/reconcile the end-user's 
balance for all transactions.

Q. Not sure what does this mean: "The service element can also enquire the price 
of the service or the account balance status from the credit control server."

Q. Why would the service element be interested to know price of a service? IMHO, 
all it needs to know whether a requested service is authorized or not, if 
authorized then what is the authorized duration etc.

Section 2:

"
    There MAY exist protocol transparent Diameter relays and redirect
    agents between credit control client and credit control server. These
    agents transparently support the Diameter credit control application.
"

Suggestion: Please show the location of the credit control client in the figure.

-KC

Kuntal Chowdhury wrote:
>>> OK, then why don't we say "home network" instead, if you don't mind :o)?
>>
>>
>>
>> Will fix it.
>>  
>>
>>> that own the user's account, which is usually the home network. The 
>>> visited network may proxy the service element requests related to a 
>>> visited user to the user's home network, thus a Credit Control Proxy 
>>> may be located in the visited domain.
>>>
>>> IMHO, that's how AAA system works i.e. the visited AAA routes AAA 
>>> messages  through proxy chain to the home AAA.
>>
>>
>>
>> Agreed.
>>
>>
>>> party entity trusted by the home network, in cases where a third 
>>> party provider offers credit control services on behalf of the home 
>>> network (home network provider). In this case the home network would 
>>> forward the request to the trusted entity providing credit control 
>>> services, however, the third party provider may be considered as an 
>>> extention of the home network, thus belonging to the "home 
>>> environment". Would we need some sentence explicitly covering  this 
>>> scenario or do you have something else in mind?
>>>
>>> I did not know that you/authors assumed "home environment" may 
>>> include third party (e.g. a prepaid reseller). In order to clarify 
>>> the scenario why don't we say the following:
>>>
>>> "
>>> Credit Control Server:  The home network interfaces with this entity 
>>> and is accessed by the service elements for the purpose of allowed 
>>> usage determination and credit control before the service event is 
>>> delivered to the end-user.
>>> "
>>
>>
>>