Subject: [AAA-WG]: Time since 1900 or 1970

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 18:29:28 +0300

Hello,

In base, it seems that the definition of time in 8.21 does not
match the definition in 4.3. I think 4.3 is right here. Perhaps
we should just delete the "since January 1, 1970 00:00 UTC"
part, if there's still time to do that with the RFC editor.

Jari
----

4.3  Derived AVP Data Formats

       Time
          The Time format is derived from the OctetString AVP Base
          Format. The string MUST contain four octets, in the same format
          as the first four bytes are in the NTP timestamp format. The
          NTP Timestamp format is defined in chapter 3 of [SNTP].

          This represents the number of seconds since 0h on 1 January
          1900 with respect to the Coordinated Universal Time (UTC).

          On 6h 28m 16s UTC, 7 February 2036 the time value will
          overflow. SNTP [SNTP] describes a procedure to extend the time
          to 2104. This procedure MUST be supported by all DIAMETER
          nodes.

8.21  Event-Timestamp AVP

    The Event-Timestamp (AVP Code 55) is of type Time, and MAY be
    included in an Accounting-Request and Accounting-Answer messages to
    record the time that the reported event occurred, in seconds since
    January 1, 1970 00:00 UTC.