Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue: How to signal invalid packets?

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 12:58:55 +0300

How to signal invalid packets?
Submitter name: Pasi Eronen
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: 18 Jun 2003
Reference: 
Document: EAP-01
Comment type: T
Priority: S
Section: -
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

We need some way for the Diameter server to signal that "the EAP
packet was invalid, please send the next one", similar to
Error-Cause 202 "Invalid EAP Packet (Ignored)" in 2869bis.

Diameter-EAP-Answer with an empty EAP-Payload AVP could be one
choice. It would be sort of logical; Result-Code
DIAMETER_MULTI_ROUND_AUTH means "authentication continues", and
empty EAP-Payload would mean "I don't have anything new to
send". However, then RADIUS->Diameter translation agents must
keep a copy of the previous EAP Request...

Another possibility would be to add a new AVP, say,
EAP-Packet-Ignored (with empty data field).

Any comments or ideas on this one?

Best regards,
Pasi

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:35:13 -0700 (PDT)

> Any comments or ideas on this one?

Could we use a Diameter Error message, and include no EAP-Payload AVP?