Subject: [AAA-WG]: [NSIS] I-D ACTION:draft-alfano-aaa-qosreq-00.txt

From: Pete McCann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:19:50 -0500

Hi,

We hope everyone who is interested in QoS/AAA has a chance to read the
draft we have just submitted.

Our work is definitely related to the 2 drafts-tschofenig that have
been posted on the NSIS group (apologies for not acknowledging this
explicitly in the draft, but we found them only recently and are still
reading them).  However, our work focuses more on the requirements for
a AAA protocol rather than requirements for NSIS.  Also, we are trying
to set forth in our draft what we think is the proper relationship
between NSIS/RSVP, AAA, and call control protocols like SIP.

Please read/comment!

-Pete

[email-masked] writes:
 > A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 > 
 > 
 > 	Title		: Requirements for a QoS AAA Protocol
 > 	Author(s)	: F. Alfano et al.
 > 	Filename	: draft-alfano-aaa-qosreq-00.txt
 > 	Pages		: 16
 > 	Date		: 2003-6-24
 > 	
 > This document describes requirements for a protocol that would 
 > perform Authentication, Authorization, and Accounting for Quality-of-
 > Service reservations.  This protocol would be used by elements along 
 > the path of a given application flow to authenticate a reservation 
 > request, ensure that the reservation is authorized, and to account 
 > for resources used during the life of the application flow.  A QoS 
 > AAA protocol should also support dynamic authorization of QoS as a 
 > function of application and account state.  While we assume the 
 > existence of some QoS reservation protocol to allow endpoints to 
 > request QoS from network elements, complete requirements for such a 
 > protocol are outside the scope of this document and a QoS AAA 
 > protocol could be used to support more than one kind of reservation 
 > protocol.  A QoS AAA protocol could be used between any bearer-level 
 > network element that lies along the path of an application flow and 
 > an application server that lies anywhere in the network, allowing for 
 > a wide variety of flexible service deployment models.
 > 
 > A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
 > http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-alfano-aaa-qosreq-00.txt

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 09:33:06 +0300

Hi Pete,

Question for you - NSIS will obviously need some AAA interaction,
not just for QoS, but for middle box traversal (note, new NSIS
charter has been announced).

It might be interesting to discuss this work in both AAA & NSIS,
but my feeling is that the AAA WG already has a lot to do.  Perhaps
you could work with Hannes to incorporate aspects of the drafts
together.  

thanks,
John

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ext Pete McCann [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 26 June, 2003 23:20
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: [AAA-WG]: [NSIS] I-D ACTION:draft-alfano-aaa-qosreq-00.txt
> 
> 
> 
> Hi,
>