Subject: [AAA-WG]: [Aaa] WIRE1x - free software of 802.1x supplicant]

From: "Yi-Wen Liu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 15:36:09 +0800

We are pleased to announce the release of WIRE1x Version 0.1.
 Both source code and executable code can be downloaded from
 http://wire.cs.nthu.edu.tw/wire1x/

 What is WIRE1x?

 The WIRE1x is an implementation of IEEE 802.1x client (supplicant)
 developed by the Wireless Internet Research & Engineering (WIRE) Lab.
 The IEEE 802.1x standard defines a port-based network access control to
 authenticate and  authorize devices interconnected by various IEEE 802
 LANs. IEEE 802.11i also incorporates 802.1x as its authentication
 solution for 802.11 wireless LANs.

 The implementation of WIRE1x is based on the Open1x. Open1x supports
 MacOS X, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and Linux. Many users at National Tsing Hua
 University however are using MS Windows. They need a 802.1x client
 software to access to the campus wireless LANs. We therefore develop the
 WIRE1x to support various versions of MS Windows. Currently, the WIRE1x
 supports Windows XP (without service pack and with service pack 1) and
 Windows 2000. It provides EAP MD5-Challenge. It works with freeRADIUS.
 It now supports several WLAN cards including Avaya, 3com, PCI, and ZyXel
 cards. We will upgrade the program to support more WLAN cards, more
 authentication mechanisms, and more (especially earlier) versions of MS
 Windows. Both source code and executable code can be downloaded from
 http://wire.cs.nthu.edu.tw/wire1x/.