Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue: How NAS sets Accounting-EAP-Auth-Method?

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 12:57:28 +0300

How NAS sets Accounting-EAP-Auth-Method?
Submitter name: Pasi Eronen
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: 18 Jun 2003
Reference: 
Document: EAP-01
Comment type: T
Priority: 1
Section: -
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

Currently a pass-through NAS inspects only the Code, Identifier,
and Length fields of EAP messages.  If the NAS has to include
the EAP authentication method in accounting messages, it has to
also inspect the Type field.  Also, since a typical EAP
conversation will include at least two different types (Identity
and something else), we need to specify how the value is chosen.

Proposed change: One possible solution would be that the
Accounting-EAP-Auth-Method AVP will be equal to the Type 
(or Expanded Type) field in the last Diameter-EAP-Request's 
EAP-Payload AVP.  Or the Diameter server could give the value
to use in the last (success) Diameter-EAP-Answer. Any other ideas?

Best regards,
Pasi

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:39:16 -0700 (PDT)

> and Length fields of EAP messages.

I think it might be more precise to say that it "only checks
correctness and forwards based on the Code, Identifier and Length fields."

> Also, since a typical EAP

Yes.

> EAP-Payload AVP.

Unfortunately, that would be likely to be EAP Success (no Type).

> Or the Diameter server could give the value

I'd suggest that perhaps the Type is determined from the method in
progress at the time the EAP Success was determined.  The equivalent
functionality is in RADIUS (See RFC 2548) so there must be a reliable way
to do it somehow...