Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: Re: Comments: draft-belinchon-aaa-diameter-mm-app-0 1.txt

From: "Daniel Warren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 12:29:21 +0100

Another comment (or maybe it's a question).  In section 3.3, there is text
that says...

'Although the example shows the connection between a SIP INVITE request and
the Diameter LIR message, any other SIP request (such as SUBSCRIBE, OPTIONS,
etc.) would trigger the same Diameter message.'

Could a REGISTER request trigger an LIR, and if so, in what situation?  How
does SIP server 1 determine if a REGISTER triggers an LIR or a UAR?  My
suspicion is that the text should read '... any other SIP request with the
exception of a REGISTER request (such as SUBSCRIBE, OPTIONS, etc.) would
trigger the same Diameter message', and that a REGISTER would always trigger
a UAR to be sent.  But I am prepared to be told I am wrong.

I also have a whole host of minor editorial comments that I will forward on
to Miguel-Angel and Maria-Carmen Belinchon away from the e-mail list.

Dan Warren

---

From: "Miguel A. Garcia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 15:09:51 +0300

Hi Dan:

You are opening the floor for an interesting discussion. I had the same 
sort of concerns about the similarities between UAR and LIR.

The fact that UAR is triggered from a SIP REGISTER and LIR is triggered 
from any other SIP request is not enough to justify two different commands.

I would then ask you what is the reason to have two different commands. Why 
is not possible to have a single command? Do you know the answer?

/Miguel

Daniel Warren wrote:
> Another comment (or maybe it's a question).  In section 3.3, there is 
> text that says...
> 
> 'Although the example shows the connection between a SIP INVITE request 
> and the Diameter LIR message, any other SIP request (such as SUBSCRIBE, 
> OPTIONS, etc.) would trigger the same Diameter message.'
> 
> Could a REGISTER request trigger an LIR, and if so, in what situation?  
> How does SIP server 1 determine if a REGISTER triggers an LIR or a UAR?  
> My suspicion is that the text should read '... any other SIP request 
> with the exception of a REGISTER request (such as SUBSCRIBE, OPTIONS, 
> etc.) would trigger the same Diameter message', and that a REGISTER 
> would always trigger a UAR to be sent.  But I am prepared to be told I 
> am wrong.
> 
> I also have a whole host of minor editorial comments that I will forward 
> on to Miguel-Angel and Maria-Carmen Belinchon away from the e-mail list.
> 
> Dan Warren
> 

-- 
Miguel-Angel Garcia                     Oy LM Ericsson AB
                                         Jorvas, Finland
mailto:[email-masked]     Phone:  +358 9 299 3553
mailto:[email-masked]        Mobile: +358 40 5140002