Subject: [AAA-WG]: Diameter Credit Control: Cost-Information AVP enhancement

From: "Harri Hakala (TU/LMF)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:20:39 +0200

Cost-Information AVP enhancement
Submitter name: Harri Hakala
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: September 17, 2003
Reference: 
Document: Diameter CCA-00
Comment type: T
Priority: 2
Section: 5.8
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

In Diameter CCA-00 the Cost-Information AVP can be used to return
accumulated cost for session (always type of money) without taking 
a credit-reservation into account, that is it specifies how much
the service has cost so far.

In case of service price enquiry operation (e.g. for Advice Of Charge) the
cost should often be returned as a cost rate (e.g. cost for the service is 
1$/minutes) instead of money. With the current Cost-Information AVP structure
cost per unit cannot be returned.

Proposed changed:

Section 5.8 Cost-Information AVP

FROM:

The Cost-Information AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Grouped and is 
used to return the cost information of a service in the Accounting-
Answer command. The included Unit-Value AVP contains the cost 
estimate (always type of money) of the service in case of price 
enquiry or the accumulated cost estimation in the case of credit 
control session.  

The Currency-Code specifies in which currency the cost was given. 
......

TO:
The Cost-Information AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Grouped and is 
used to return the cost information of a service in the Accounting-
Answer command. The included Unit-Value AVP contains the cost 
estimate (always type of money) of the service in case of price 
enquiry or the accumulated cost estimation in the case of credit 
control session.  

The Currency-Code specifies in which currency the cost was given. 
The Cost-Unit specifies the unit when the service cost is a 
cost per unit (e.g. cost for the service is 1$/minute).
.....

CHANGE the AVP format in section 5.8

FROM

<Cost-Information>::=< AVP Header: TBD > 
 	               { Unit-Value } 
                     { Currency-Code } 
TO

<Cost-Information>::=< AVP Header: TBD > 
 	               { Unit-Value } 
                     { Currency-Code }
                     [ Cost-Unit ] 

ADD 5.x Cost-Unit AVP

5.x Cost-Unit AVP
The Cost-Unit AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type UTF8String 
and specifies the applicable unit to the Cost-Information
when the service cost is a cost per unit (e.g. cost of 
the service is 1$/minute). The Cost-Unit can be for 
instance minute, hour, day, KBytes, MBytes etc.