Subject: [AAA-WG]: RE: Issue: Free-of-charge & deny semantic for multiple services i n one user session

From: "Christopher Richards" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 19:07:50 -0600

Hi Marco,

With respect to denied quotas, I'd like to suggest the inclusion of a G-S-U
Result-Code AVP and Final-Indication AVP as outlined in previous emails.
In fact, the inclusion of both these AVPs in the G-S-U makes sense for
granted as well as denied quota.

I have a couple of questions regarding the free-of-charge indication: 
Should the client track the use of the free-of-charge resources and report
them to the CC server?
Should AAA accounting track these values? 

To me, whether a Rating-Group or Service-Identifier(s) associated with a
G-S-U is "free" is really a function of how the users account is charged for
the use. In other words, any Rating-Group or Service-Identifier(s) can be
free - even if they are tracked and reported --- it is up to the charging
system to decide how this translates into deductions or additions from a
users account.

I'm not sure what advantages a 'special' G-S-U for free rated quota will
bring. It only creates more questions about interactions with other
accounting functions which the NAS should not be interested in.

Best Regards,
Chris.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2003 8:22 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; Richards, Christopher [RICH2:2Q40:EXCH];
[email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Issue: Free-of-charge & deny semantic for multiple services in one
user session 

Free-of-charge & deny semantic for multiple services in one user session 
Submitter name: Marco Stura
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: 5.11.2003
Reference: 
Document: Diameter CCA-01
Comment type: T
Priority: 2
Section: 
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

The DCC application support for multiple services in one user session, one
single credit control session can be used to request and grant multiple
quotas to a set of end-user services. However, one or more of the services
requested in one Credit-Control-Request may end-up to be free-of-charge or
may be denied because of low credit. The DCC support only mechanisms to
indicate this at CC session level, a semantic to indicate free-of-charge or
deny at quota level is needed for the support of multiple services in one
user session.

Proposed changed: 

Section 8.16 Granted-Service-Unit AVP
ADD (at the end of the second paragraph):
A value of 0 (zero) granted service unit associated to a
Service-Identifier(s) or Rating-Group indicates that the corresponding
traffic MUST be denied. Note that in case the credit-control 
server want to disconnect the user and close the credit-control session, it
SHOULD use the 
appropriate error code in the Credit-Control-Answer message rather than
including n times the Granted-Service-Units AVPs with the value of  0
(zero). 
In contrast, a value of max type granted service unit (e.g. max Unsigned 32
is FFFFFFFF) 
associated to a Service-Identifier(s) or Rating-Group indicates that the
corresponding traffic 
is free-of-charge. With unit type money, the value of the Exponent AVP is
set to 0 (zero) when 
free-of-charge is indicated. With unit type service specific, the value of
the CC-Service-Specific-Units AVP is set to FFFFFFFF to indicate
free-of-charge.