Subject: [AAA-WG]: Mobile IPv6 Diameter draft

From: Xavier Brouckaert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 15:01:48 +0100

Hi,

What happened to a draft called
draft-le-aaa-diameter-mobileipv6-02.txt (Sep 2002) ? Is the work
abandoned ? Or was it converted into another draft ?  What is the
current state of the MIPv6 application for diameter ?

Thank you,
Xavier

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 06:43:28 -0800 (PST)

The AAA WG only takes on work items on the basis of requests from other
WGs or SDOs.  This typically occurs after a AAA requirements specification
has been issued by the other WG or SDO.

In this particular case, the draft below was never taken up as a WG work
item by the MIPv6 WG, and no request for work on this subject was issued
by MIPv6 WG.

So in terms of IETF status,  I am not aware of any plans to advance this
draft.

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:04:35 +0200

Note also that Mobile IPv6 is not in such a big
need for AAA support as is Mobile IPv4, given that
access and mobility functions have been separated ;-)

AAA support for Mobile IPv6 has been discussed, though.
It might offer some benefits, such as reducing the
need for setting up a separate security assocation
with the home agent.

--Jari

---

From: Julien Bournelle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:26:17 +0100

Hi,

> need for setting up a separate security assocation

that's right, it could avoid a lot of IKE signalling. However, it
implies that the access protocol can collect this mip6 information from
the Mobile Node and AFAIK it does not exist such an authentication
method or protocol. 

A possible solution could be to define an extension for EAP methods.
In this case, I'm not sure that a specific extension is still necessary.
-- 
[email-masked]

---

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 14:31:23 -0800

Hello Bernard,

At one point, I was involved with trying to put together
something for Mobile IPv6.  We had AAAv6, which was
discussed in the AAA working group.  Then we were requested
to ask the IPv6 working group whether AAAv6 should be
taken up in the AAA working group.  We did that.  Then
when the IPv6 working group indicated interest, it turned
out that the AAA working group was trying to finish
its IPv4 charter items.  Eventually, I basically gave up,
and I guess other people have moved on also.

I still think there is need for:
- a good way to do AAAv6 using controls at the access routers
  (e.g., the "AAAv6" draft for one example)
- a good way to improve the performance of initial
  requests and authorizations at a new access network

AAAv6 and the draft from Frank Le solve these problems,
and correspond roughly to the AAAv4 solution.  Plus,
they are known to work.

How do you see future AAA solutions co-existing with
future PANA solutions?

Regards,
Charlie P.

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 14:57:22 -0800 (PST)

> its IPv4 charter items.

As I recall, this was during the period where AAA WG was still struggling
to complete the Diameter Base Protocol spec.  Once that was finished, the
WG was rechartered to add work on Diameter Credit Control & SIP
applications.  So the moratorium on new work was eventually lifted.

> How do you see future AAA solutions co-existing with

My assumption has been that PANA would be able to use the Diameter EAP
application for its AAA needs.  If there are issues with this, then it
would be good to file issues so that we can address them.

---

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:26:54 -0800

Hi Charlie,

> requests and authorizations at a new access network

When I look at your above description and the AAAv6 draft, I see two things.
First one is a way to carry authentication above IP. This is already covered
by PANA. 

The other is bundling/integrating/piggybacking AAA for network access with
AAA for Mobile IPv6. I guess this deserves an architectural discussion
first. I have seen this discussion pop up at different places at various
times. 
 
Alper

---

From: Julien Bournelle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:59:33 +0100

Hi,

> First one is a way to carry authentication above IP. This is already covered

PANA carry authentication above IP/UDP via EAP but it does not exist any
authentication method that permit to obtain MIPv6 information (such as
Home Agent Address, Home Address...). So either we define a new
authentication method for this purpose, or we define a way to recover
this mip6 information from existing authentication method (eap extension
?).

---

From: Rafa Marín López <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:38:05 +0100

Hello all...

I agree with you, it would be really interesting to define a hook 
between PANA and Mobile IPv6 . Fo example I have doubts about how to 
carry cryptographic keys derived from PANA process to Mobile IPv6 or get 
information as you comment.

I am really interested in this issue(as many people I suppose :)  ), but 
I am not sure if this is the best "place" to discuss about it though 
obviously DIAMETER + PANA + Mobile IPv6 integration is really 
interesting. I have a question... is there any mailing list where could 
we discuss about it? PANA mailing list maybe? in this mailing list? ... ¿?

Regards.

-- 
------------------------------------------------------
Rafael Marin Lopez
Faculty of Computer Science-University of Murcia
30071 Murcia - Spain
Telf: +34968367645    e-mail: [email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------