Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue: DCC Enhanced data types of some AVPs

From: "Harri Hakala (TU/LMF)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:01:47 +0100

Description of issue: Enhanced data types of some AVPs 
Submitter name: 
Submitter email address: 
Date first submitted: 22.01.2004
Reference: 
Document: Diameter CCA-02
Comment type: T
Priority: 1
Section: 8.25 Service-Parameter-Value AVP, 8.31 Value-Digit AVP
and 8.36 Service-Specific-Units AVP
Rationale/Explanation of issues:
Data types of some AVPs need to be enhanced to better fit their
purpose.

8.25 Service-Parameter-Value AVP
Data type UTF8string prevents handling of bit-mapped and integer 
fields. An UTF8string can be also carried in an OctetString, if desired.

8.31 Value-Digit AVP
Due to some promotions and bonus offers subscriber can earn money 
(e.g. received calls add bonus) when he/she use services, and thus 
Cost-Information/Cost AVP can indicate negative values. To be able 
to send also negative values, the type Integer64 should be used,
since it supports signed values.

8.36 CC-Service-Specific-Units AVP
If the AVP specifies the NUMBER of service specific units, it is
better to have data type Unsigned64, instead of OctetString.

Requested change:

Section 8.25 Service-Parameter-Value AVP
CHANGE: 
FROM: 
      The Service-Parameter-Value AVP is of type UTF8String ....
TO:   
      The Service-Parameter-Value AVP is of type OctetString....

Section 8.31 Value-Digit AVP
CHANGE: 
FROM: 
     The Value-Digits AVP is of type Unsigned64 
TO: 
     The Value-Digits AVP is of type Integer64 

Section 8.36 CC-Service-Specific-Units AVP
CHANGE: 
FROM: 
     The CC-Service-Specific-Units AVP (AVP Code 417) is of type 
     OctetString....
TO:  
     The CC-Service-Specific-Units AVP (AVP Code 417) is of type 
     Unsigned64...

Section 8.16 Granted-Service-Unit AVP  
CHANGE:
FROM: 
   In contrast, a value of max type granted service unit (e.g. max 
   Unsigned 32 is FFFFFFFF) associated to a Service-Identifier(s) or 
   Rating-Group indicates that the corresponding traffic is free-of-
   charge. With unit type money, the value of the Exponent AVP is set to 
   0 (zero) when free-of-charge is indicated. With unit type service 
   specific, the value of the CC-Service-Specific-Units AVP is set to 
   FFFFFFFF to indicate free-of-charge.
TO: 
   In contrast, a value of max type granted service unit (e.g. max 
   Unsigned 32 is FFFFFFFF) associated to a Service-Identifier(s) or 
   Rating-Group indicates that the corresponding traffic is free-of-
   charge. With unit type money, the value of the Exponent AVP is set to 
   0 (zero) when free-of-charge is indicated.