Subject: [AAA-WG]: new revision of the NAI RFC

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:13:23 +0200

For your information: Pasi, Bernard, and myself published a new
draft, draft-arkko-roamops-rfc2486bis-00.txt which is an update
of the original NAI specification. It provides a few corrections,
clarifications, and support for a couple of new features such
as privacy and international character sets. It even touches
upon network selection feature discussed in EAP WG by talking
about the bang syntax.

Feedback appreciated. Do folks think a bis version makes sense?
Comments on content? Missed corrections? New functions make
sense?

Note that strictly speaking, there is no official home
at the IETF for this discussion, so if we generate lengthy
discussions based on this I'll promise to create a new list
for the purpose and not disturb the AAA, AAAEXT or EAP WGs.

Full list of modifications:

    o  International character set support has been added for both
       usernames and realms.

    o  Username privacy support has been added.

    o  A requirement to support NAI length of at least 253 octets has
       been added, and compatibility considerations among NAI lengths in
       this specification and various AAA protocols are discussed.

    o  The mediating network syntax and its implications have been fully
       described and not given only as an example.  Note that this syntax
       is not intended to be a full solution to network discovery and
       selection needs as defined in [draft-ietf-eap-netsel-problem].
       Rather, it is intended as a clarification of RFC 2486. It could
       also be used as a component in approaches such as [draft-adrangi].

    o  The realm BNF entry definition has been changed to avoid an error
       (infinite recursion) in the original specification.

    o  The x and special BNF entries have been clarified.

For more information, see the following URLs:

   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-arkko-roamops-rfc2486bis-00.txt
   http://www.arkko.com/publications/nai/naibis.html

--Jari