Subject: [AAA-WG]: Draft re.: SIP-based roaming

From: "Harry Behrens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 06:09:47 +0100

The following draft has been submitted to the SIPPING WG.
As it is close to AAA in nature, I figure I would greatly appreciate
input from this group.

Pls. note that the attached draft (--01.txt) is not yet on the IETF
website due to the cutoff date prior to the Seoul meeting.

Abstract:
	      This draft describes an authentication mechanism which can
be used to 
		enable users of VoIP to globally roam between any number
of ITSPs 
           (Internet Telephony Service Providers) without needing to
have a prior 
           customer or billing relationship with all of them. This
enables 
           profiles and one-line-billing. 
           Providers using this authentication mechanism do neither need
full-mesh 
           trust relationships or roaming agreements with every other
possible 
           provider nor do they need to rely on a centralized brokerage
entity to 
           process calls. 
           The Home Network (HN), which handles all AAA for a user
attempting to 
           use an ITSP's service is determined through a unique
identifier 
           submitted by the user. This Network Access Identifier
[RFC2486] 
           contains information about the trust domain or trust realm
the user 
           belongs to. Based on a simple discovery mechanism a provider
can 
           establish a trust path to this home network. Once this is
established, 
           the provider can authenticate the user and check his credit
with the 
           home network. Accounting and rate information will be sent to
the home 
           network for mediation and processing.