Subject: [AAA-WG]: [Issue] Applicability of NASREQ to vanilla IP access

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 17:09:13 -0700 (PDT)

Submitter name: Joel M. Halpern
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: 19-March-2004
Reference: n/a
Document: nasreq-15
Comment type: T
Priority: 1
Section 6.10
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

The text restricts the use of the 6.10 AVPs unnecessarily and
therefore interferes with the extensibility of 6.9.1

The second sentence of section 6.10 reads:
"They are only present if the Framed-Protocol AVP (see Section 6.9.1)
is set to PPP, SLIP, Gandalf proprietary SingleLink/MultiLink protocol,
or X.75 Synchronous."

The use of the word "only" leads the reader to believe that these
IP Access Authorization AVPs (which are needed whenever the user
is to use IP) may only be used with these specific framed protocols.
For example, they would be prohibited in conjunction with a framed
protocol of GPRS PDP Context, or any other new values that are defined.
In fact, this sentence does not appear to enhance interoperability or
clarity.

Requested Change:

Remove the second sentence of 6.10.

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 11:19:50 +0300

> Remove the second sentence of 6.10.

Agreed.

--Jari

---

From: David Mitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:01:33 -0400

>Remove the second sentence of 6.10.

The enumeration has been removed.  The prior sentence has been changed to:
The AVPs defined in this section are used when the user requests, or is
being granted, access service to IP.

Similar changes have been made in the IPX and ARAP sections.

It may be noted that I was unable to find corresponding restrictive text in 
RFC 2865 [RADIUS].

Dave.