Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: Type of Origin-Realm and Destination-Realm

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:01:07 +0300

Hi Mikko,

> I just noticed that RFC3588 defines Origin-Realm and Destination-Realm
> AVPs to be of type DiameterIdentity. In some earlier drafts the type was
> UTF8String. Why was the change made?
> 
> RFC3588 says that "DiameterIdentity value is used to uniquely identify
> a Diameter node". I think this does not fit the concept of "realm" very well.
> The rest of the spec seems to assume that one realm can feature several
> Diameter nodes, which seems logical.
> 
> Is there an error in RFC3588 regarding this or am I missing something?

Essentially, the DiameterIdentity refers to a FQDN, which should be acceptable
for use as the realm.  Do you see any problems with this?

John

---

From: Joe Harvell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 17:51:05 +0000

John:

On a related topic, I have a question about the format of an FQDN.  I 
remember reading somewhere that all FQDNs end in a '.' character (having 
something to with all TLDs being children of  the real top-level doamain 
with an empty label).  I know that DNS resolving libraries treat doman 
names ending in '.' as fully-qualified in that they don't attempt to 
append default domain suffixes when resolving.

Where can I find the syntax for the FQDN used in 3588?