Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: DCC: CLIENT, SESSION BASED State Machine

From: "Stura Marco" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 19:20:56 +0300

Hi Chris,

>Would it not be better to grant some limited service usage to the end user
>and move to the Open state. This will then allow the DCC client to
>re-authorise the used service at a later time when it may pass.

When the failure to send event or temporary error occur, we have clearly a 
problem
with the server because e.g. the server is down, too busy or the connection 
is
broken. We also tried, without success, to contact an alternative server if
failover for the session was supported. There is actually no reason to keep
the session open in the client in such circumstances. Note that during the
lifetime of the problem the server may close the session or may not have
even opened the session yet (i.e. in case of the first interrogation), 
therefore
you would just consume resources in the client in vain.

Your client may eventually attempt to open a new session (i.e. sending 
initial CCR)
for the ongoing service e.g. when the transport connection is brought up 
again or
according to some other implementation dependant strategies. As per the 
level of
service you grant to the end user when CCFH=CONTINUE, this may depend on
some local policy. I think the state machine is good enough as it is, you 
can
implement all the non-mandatory policies/strategies on top of that if you
want to.

Regards
Marco

_________________________________________________________________
MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE* 
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus