Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: Diameter encoding of RADIUS VSA AVPs

From: "Nelson, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 15:42:32 -0400

Avi Lior writes...

> >I don't believe there was ever consensus
> > in the RADIUS WG that VSAs would be a "standard" method to
> > extend the protocol.
> 
> Can you show me where this was even discussed in the RADIUS WG?

Well, I haven't undertaken a search of the RADIUS WG archives, but my
statements are not based on the "written history".  My statements are
based on my personal experience.  I was active in the RADIUS WG from the
initial BOFs.  I have already stipulated that these items of context
never made their way into the RFCs.  On the other hand, I think that the
term "Vendor-Specific" is sufficiently self-describing.  You have
alluded to SDOs as "Super-Vendors", and I think that stretches the
notion of "vendor" to the point of being meaningless.

> If you can't then you would be misleading the crowd.

That's a rather unfounded assertion.  I am providing historic context,
from first hand personal observation.  I have not represented it as
documented fact.  However, first hand personal observation is
permissible under the rules of evidence in a court of law.  I therefore
take exception to the assertion that my intent is to mislead.  You are
certainly free to question the accuracy of my memory, if you so choose.

-- Dave

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 15:44:19 -0700 (PDT)

> > Can you show me where this was even discussed in the RADIUS WG?

RFC 2865 Section 6.2 states:

"   Note that RADIUS defines a mechanism for Vendor-Specific extensions
   (Attribute 26) and the use of that should be encouraged instead of
   allocation of global attribute types, for functions specific only to
   one vendor's implementation of RADIUS, where no interoperability is
   deemed useful."

An SDO is not a vendor, and typically requires interoperability between
vendors, so that this language does not apply to use by SDOs.

That said, it seems fairly clear to me that the IETF needs to provide a
means by which SDOs can create their own SDO-specific attributes in a way
that will be compatible with future standardization, if necessary.