Subject: [AAA-WG]: vendor-specific-application-id in RFC3588

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 13:48:57 -0700

Section 3 of RFC 3588 says:

"
   Application-ID
      Application-ID is four octets and is used to identify to which
      application the message is applicable for.  The application can be
      an authentication application, an accounting application or a
      vendor specific application.  See Section 11.3 for the possible
      values that the application-id may use.

      The application-id in the header MUST be the same as what is
      contained in any relevant AVPs contained in the message.
"

What application-id value should be put to this field for a command of
a vendor-specific application for which a
Vendor-Specific-Application-Id AVP is expected to appear in the
command payload instead of Auth-Application-Id or Acct-Application-Id?

As far as I remember, the purpose of including Application-ID in
Diameter command header is to enable command dictionary lookup based
solely on a command header without need to look into the payload
contents.  But I don't think this works for vendor-specific
applications because vendor id is not carried in command header while
the combination of vendor id and application id is needed to uniquely
identify a vendor-specific application.

Yoshihiro Ohba