Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: Application IDs for EAP

From: "Christopher Richards" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 15:09:00 -0400

But how does the other end know that the advertised application support is
limited to a message(s) only and the support is not for the application as a
whole?

My point was: shouldn't an application that originates a message put it's
application-id in the message so that the message is delivered to the
correct application at the endpoint. A base message may include AVPs that
are defined by the application that originated the message - as such, the
base application will not (and should not) know about the application AVPs -
so how does it know how to handle them?

-----Original Message-----
From: Bernard Aboba [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: June 22, 2004 2:58 PM
To: Richards, Christopher [RICH2:2Q40:EXCH]
Cc: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: Application IDs for EAP

Yes.  Otherwise the Diameter peer won't know that it can send messages with
that Application-Id to and from that peer.

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Christopher Richards wrote:

> Thanks Bernard,
>
> So, when a peer advertises support for a Diameter application in the 
> Capabilities exchange, should it also include support for applications 
> that it uses messages from - even though the application may not be 
> supported, just the use of the message by the application.
>
> Chris.

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:02:14 -0700 (PDT)

> limited to a message(s) only and the support is not for the application as a

It doesn't.  But that's not an issue if we are talking about advertising
support for Diameter Base Common Messages.