Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: Application IDs for EAP

From: "Christopher Richards" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:34:20 -0400

Thanks Bernard,

So, when a peer advertises support for a Diameter application in the
Capabilities exchange, should it also include support for applications that
it uses messages from - even though the application may not be supported,
just the use of the message by the application.

Chris.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bernard Aboba [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: June 22, 2004 12:44 PM
To: Richards, Christopher [RICH2:2Q40:EXCH]
Cc: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: Application IDs for EAP

> E.g. If the DCCA server application sends an ASR to the DCCA client, 
> then the application-id in the ASR is not DCCA but the base Diameter 
> application-id (0)?

Correct.

> If that is the case, what is the reasoning behind this?

The issue is that Diameter agents (such as RADIUS/Diameter gateways) will
fail if an unknown Application-ID is included.  In cases where no new
mandatory AVPs are added, using an existing Application-ID is required by
RFC 3588, since otherwise interoperability would be broken without any
benefits.

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:58:12 -0700 (PDT)

Yes.  Otherwise the Diameter peer won't know that it can send messages
with that Application-Id to and from that peer.