Subject: Re: [AAA-WG]: Issue 464: Application-Id Usage

From: Joe Harvell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 12:35:43 -0400

Bernard:

Let's ignore the question of which value of the app id belongs in which
commands for a second.  I would like to know when the application-id field
in the Diameter header and any included Auth-Application-Id or
Accounting-Application-Id AVPs in the message could/should have values that
are different?

If they can never be different, then what is the purpose for the AVPs?

Bernard Aboba wrote:

> Firstly, there is section 3 of RFC 3588. It states that the 
> application-id in the header of any command MUST be the same as the 
> application id in any relevant AVPs. 

Can you be more specific on what the problem is with this?

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 09:47:27 -0700 (PDT)

Joe --

There are obviously some areas of RFC 3588 that need clarification.  The
way I would propose that we handle this is similar to the way we handle
any other issue.

That is, you should go ahead and submit an issue for consideration in the
RFC 3588 Errata list.  this includes your proposed Errata text.  The WG
will then consider your Issue and decide whether RFC 3588 requires
clarification via an errata or not.

By submitting an Issue, we can guarantee that your concerns are tracked to
resolution and that they will be discussed at IETF 60.