Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: Application ID 4

From: "Christopher Richards" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:07:19 -0400

Hi Pete,

I brought this up to the WG a while back. RFC 3588 allocated MIPv4 an
application-id of 2:

2.4.  Application Identifiers

   Each Diameter application MUST have an IANA assigned Application
   Identifier (see Section 11.3).  The base protocol does not require an
   Application Identifier since its support is mandatory.  During the
   capabilities exchange, Diameter nodes inform their peers of locally
   supported applications.  Furthermore, all Diameter messages contain
   an Application Identifier, which is used in the message forwarding
   process.

   The following Application Identifier values are defined:

      Diameter Common Messages      0
      NASREQ                        1 [NASREQ]
      Mobile-IP                     2 [DIAMMIP]
      Diameter Base Accounting      3
      Relay                         0xffffffff

So, it appears that the error is in the MIPv4 draft. 

I have not seen a corrected version of the draft yet though.

Cheers,
Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Pete McCann [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: July 27, 2004 2:53 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [AAA-WG]: Application ID 4

Hi,

In reviewing the latest draft of the credit control application, I noticed
that it appears to use Application ID 4:

>From draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-cc-05.txt:

1.3 Advertising application support  
     
   Diameter nodes conforming to this specification MUST advertise 
   support by including the value of 4 in the Auth-Application-Id of the 
   Capabilities-Exchange-Request and Capabilities-Exchange-Answer 
   command [DIAMBASE].  

However, my understanding is that this code was allocated to the Mobile IPv4
application:

4. Diameter Protocol Considerations 
    
   This section details the relationship of the Diameter Mobile IPv4 
   application to the Diameter base protocol. 
    
   This document specifies Diameter Application-ID 4.  Diameter nodes 
   conforming to this specification MAY advertise support by including 
   the value of four (4) in the Auth-Application-Id or the Acct-
   Application-Id AVP of the Capabilities-Exchange-Request and 
   Capabilities-Exchange-Answer command [DIAMBASE]. 

Hopefully IANA would have caught this, but I'm not sure if anyone has
noticed so far...

-Pete

---

From: Pete McCann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:14:14 -0500

Ah, ok, then, my mistake.

I'll be sure to fix this in MIPv4 at the next opportunity.

-Pete