Subject: [AAA-WG]: Application ID 4

From: Pete McCann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:53:13 -0500

Hi,

In reviewing the latest draft of the credit control application, I
noticed that it appears to use Application ID 4:

>From draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-cc-05.txt:

1.3 Advertising application support  
     
   Diameter nodes conforming to this specification MUST advertise 
   support by including the value of 4 in the Auth-Application-Id of the 
   Capabilities-Exchange-Request and Capabilities-Exchange-Answer 
   command [DIAMBASE].  

However, my understanding is that this code was allocated to the Mobile
IPv4 application:

4. Diameter Protocol Considerations 
    
   This section details the relationship of the Diameter Mobile IPv4 
   application to the Diameter base protocol. 
    
   This document specifies Diameter Application-ID 4.  Diameter nodes 
   conforming to this specification MAY advertise support by including 
   the value of four (4) in the Auth-Application-Id or the Acct-
   Application-Id AVP of the Capabilities-Exchange-Request and 
   Capabilities-Exchange-Answer command [DIAMBASE]. 

Hopefully IANA would have caught this, but I'm not sure if anyone has
noticed so far...

-Pete

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 09:33:22 +0300

Hi Pete,

I will fix this when I rev the document after IETF60 - we need
one more rev to clear IESG comments.

thanks,
John

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
> ext Pete McCann
> Sent: 27 July, 2004 21:53
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [AAA-WG]: Application ID 4
> 
> 
> 
> Hi,
>

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 13:40:35 +0300

Pete,

> However, my understanding is that this code was allocated to the Mobile

From RFC 3588:

11.3.  Application Identifiers

   As defined in Section 2.4, the Application Identifier is used to
   identify a specific Diameter Application.  There are standards-track
   application ids and vendor specific application ids.

   IANA [IANA] has assigned the range 0x00000001 to 0x00ffffff for
   standards-track applications; and 0x01000000 - 0xfffffffe for vendor
   specific applications, on a first-come, first-served basis.  The
   following values are allocated.

      Diameter Common Messages            0
      NASREQ                              1 [NASREQ]
      Mobile-IP                           2 [DIAMMIP]
      Diameter Base Accounting            3
      Relay                               0xffffffff

Why do you think the application ID for MIP is 4?

John