Subject: AW: AW: [AAA-WG]: digest issue 11 closure (fwd)

From: "Beck01, Wolfgang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 16:30:19 +0200

Miguel wrote:
> Right, this is the "rule" that allows the SIP server to do a translation 
> and determine when to create an Authentication-Info header. 
> This is the type of rules that Jari was trying to avoid, and I have been 
> saying that is not possible in RADIUS. And this is the type of rule I am 
> trying to avoid in Diameter.

But you have Digest-HA1, Digest-Entity-Body-Hash, etc in Diameter as well.
Or has this changed? I was under the impression that a RADIUS/Diameter GW
can just map RADIUS attributes to Diameter AVPs and vice versa. The only
thing the GW has to know is, what RADIUS attributes must be placed into grouped
AVPs. It doesn't have to decide whether to send an Authentication-Info header.

What am I missing?

Wolfgang

--
T-Systems
Next Generation IP Services and Systems
+49 6151 937 2863
Am Kavalleriesand 3
64295 Darmstadt
Germany

---

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 10:00:35 +0300

Inline.

Beck01, Wolfgang wrote:

> Or has this changed? 

No, it hasn't changed. They are there, imported from RADIUS.

> I was under the impression that a RADIUS/Diameter GW

Right, this is correct. I believe that Jari was trying to say that the 
gateway will need a rule: "the only thing the GW has to know is, what 
RADIUS attributes must be placed into grouped AVPs". And I believe Jari 
was oposing to have this rule. But I argued that a RADIUS implementation 
will need rules to translate these attributes to SIP, or to Diameter. So 
the problem remains even if we haven't got Diameter into the picture.

/Miguel

-- 
Miguel A. Garcia           tel:+358-50-4804586
Nokia Research Center      Helsinki, Finland