Subject: [abfab] moving forward with abfab architecture document

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 09:57:08 -0400

Dear everyone,

I won't be at the ABFAB meeting, but I have discussed with the chairs
and authors an approach to move the document forward.  As people will
recall, we sort of snagged on normative language.  The authors have
agreed to work to remove that language.  What I propose is the following:

1.  A new draft that does so in August;
2.  Adoption of this document as a working group document; and
3.  Track all issues, including those sent in by Jim Schaad.

And then regular updates based on the evolution of ABFAB.

Eliot

---

From: Klaas Wierenga <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 16:01:51 +0200

On 7/28/11 3:57 PM, Eliot Lear wrote:

Eliot,

> 2.  Adoption of this document as a working group document; and

So you are not asking to adopt the document as WG document at this time? 
Why don't you think the draft is far enough ahead to hand over change 
control to the WG? It seems to me that the issue of the normative 
language can also be solved for a WG doc....

Klaas

> _______________________________________________
> abfab mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/abfab

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 10:29:22 -0400

On 7/28/11 10:01 AM, Klaas Wierenga wrote:
> So you are not asking to adopt the document as WG document at this
> time? Why don't you think the draft is far enough ahead to hand over
> change control to the WG? It seems to me that the issue of the
> normative language can also be solved for a WG doc....

I would be happy if the WG adopted the draft now, with the understanding
that the normative language will be removed.

Eliot

---

From: Leif Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 19:13:25 +0200

> that the normative language will be removed.

OK so I think we have input for the meeting. Thanks!

	Cheers Leif

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 16:14:34 -0400

>>>>> "Eliot" == Eliot Lear <[email-masked]> writes:

    Eliot> On 7/28/11 10:01 AM, Klaas Wierenga wrote:
    >>> I won't be at the ABFAB meeting, but I have discussed with the
    >>> chairs and authors an approach to move the document forward.  As
    >>> people will recall, we sort of snagged on normative language.
    >>> The authors have agreed to work to remove that language.  What I
    >>> propose is the following:
    >>> 
    >>> 1.  A new draft that does so in August; 2.  Adoption of this
    >>> document as a working group document; and
    >> 
    >> So you are not asking to adopt the document as WG document at
    >> this time? Why don't you think the draft is far enough ahead to
    >> hand over change control to the WG? It seems to me that the issue
    >> of the normative language can also be solved for a WG doc....

    Eliot> I would be happy if the WG adopted the draft now, with the
    Eliot> understanding that the normative language will be removed.

If by normative language we're talking about requirements on EAP methods
that have moved into draft-ietf-abfab-gss-eap, then I agree.
Regardless I'd encourage the WG to adopt now.