Subject: Re: [abfab] #18: Section 1.3 - Missing issue?

From: "abfab issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 13:30:33 -0000

#18: Section 1.3 - Missing issue?

Changes (by hannes.tschofenig@…):

 * cc: hannes.tschofenig@… (added)
 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => wontfix

Comment:

 -- I had responded to Jim about this issue in an earlier mail. I believe
 it is closed but I would like to hear what others have to say.

 Hi Jim,

 in issue #18 http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/abfab/trac/ticket/18 you
 wrote:
 "
 Should the following issue be addressed as well?
 In the presence of multiple federations, the naming of individuals can
 become murky especially if one is trying to associate a single
 individual from different federations. Asking a question such as does
 John Doe belong to an IdP (in the absence of authentication) may get an
 answer for the wrong John Doe.
 "

 In the way we define the architecture this is actually not an issue. All
 entities are uniquely identified using a NAI and there is no mechanism
 to query IdPs in the style of "Do you happen to know John Doe?"

 What is an issue, which is outside the scope of our IETF work - I
 believe, is the ability to associate user accounts from different
 IdPs/federations. For example, I know known by one IdP as
 hannes.tschofenig and another one as user12345 and maybe these two have
 to be linked together.

 I would say that we don't worry about these issues since I don't see the
 implications for our protocol work. I do, however, know that SAML tried
 to solve some of these account linking use cases and others may have
 more insight into how useful they had been.

 Ciao
 Hannes

-- 
--------------------+--------------------------------------
 Reporter:  ietf@…  |       Owner:  draft-ietf-abfab-arch@…
     Type:  defect  |      Status:  closed
 Priority:  major   |   Milestone:
Component:  arch    |     Version:
 Severity:  -       |  Resolution:  wontfix
 Keywords:          |
--------------------+--------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/abfab/trac/ticket/18#comment:1>
abfab <http://tools.ietf.org/abfab/>