Subject: draft-ietf-agentx-mib-04.txt

From: Mark Ellison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 08:16:40 -0400

Hi-

Here's the updated version to the AgentX MIB draft.  Please review, and
post comments to this list on anything amiss.

Regards,

Mark

-------------------

changes:

1) formated for submission as an I-D

2) checked against RFC 2026 for consistency with current IESG
requirements

3) updated sxn on SNMP Framework and sxn on references to current
approved IETF
   boilerplate text.

4) changed Lauren's contact information, added my contact information.

INTERNET-DRAFT                                                 L. Heintz
                                                      Cerent Corporation
                                                                S. Gudur
                                                  Independent Consultant
                                                         M. Ellison, Ed.
                                       Ellison Software Consulting, Inc.
                                                             9 June 1999

                   Definitions of Managed Objects for
                         Extensible SNMP Agents
                     <draft-ietf-agentx-mib-04.txt>

Status of this Memo

   This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance with
   all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
   other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
   Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (1999).  All Rights Reserved.

Abstract

   This memo defines an experimental portion of the Management
   Information Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols in
   the Internet community.  In particular, it describes objects managing
   SNMP agents that use the Agent Extensibility (AgentX) Protocol.

   This memo specifies a MIB module in a manner that is both compliant
   to the SNMPv2 SMI, and semantically identical to the peer SNMPv1
   definitions.

AgentX Working Group     Expires December 1999                  [Page 1]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                    9 June 1999

   This memo does not specify a standard for the Internet community.

Table of Contents

   1. The SNMP Management Framework ...............................    3
   2. Introduction ................................................    3
   3. AgentX MIB Overview .........................................    4
   4. Managed Object Definitions for AgentX .......................    6
   5. Intellectual Property .......................................   18
   6. Acknowledgements ............................................   18
   7. Security Considerations .....................................   19
   8. References ..................................................   21
   9. Authors' and Editor's Addresses .............................   23
   10. Full Copyright Statement ...................................   23

AgentX Working Group     Expires December 1999                  [Page 2]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                    9 June 1999

1.  The SNMP Management Framework

   The SNMP Management Framework presently consists of five major
   components:

      -  An overall architecture, described in RFC 2571 [1].

      -  Mechanisms for describing and naming objects and events for the
         purpose of management. The first version of this Structure of
         Management Information (SMI) is called SMIv1 and described in
         RFC 1155 [2], RFC 1212 [3] and RFC 1215 [4]. The second
         version, called SMIv2, is described in RFC 2578 [5], RFC 2579
         [6] and RFC 2580 [7].

      -  Message protocols for transferring management information. The
         first version of the SNMP message protocol is called SNMPv1 and
         described in RFC 1157 [8]. A second version of the SNMP message
         protocol, which is not an Internet standards track protocol, is
         called SNMPv2c and described in RFC 1901 [9] and RFC 1906 [10].
         The third version of the message protocol is called SNMPv3 and
         described in RFC 1906 [10], RFC 2572 [11] and RFC 2574 [12].

      -  Protocol operations for accessing management information. The
         first set of protocol operations and associated PDU formats is
         described in RFC 1157 [8]. A second set of protocol operations
         and associated PDU formats is described in RFC 1905 [13].

      -  A set of fundamental applications described in RFC 2573 [14]
         and the view-based access control mechanism described in RFC
         2575 [15].

   A more detailed introduction to the current SNMP Management Framework
   can be found in RFC 2570 [16].

   Managed objects are accessed via a virtual information store, termed
   the Management Information Base or MIB.  Objects in the MIB are
   defined using the mechanisms defined in the SMI.

   This memo specifies a MIB module that is compliant to the SMIv2. A
   MIB conforming to the SMIv1 can be produced through the appropriate
   translations. The resulting translated MIB must be semantically
   equivalent, except where objects or events are omitted because no
   translation is possible (use of Counter64). Some machine readable
   information in SMIv2 will be converted into textual descriptions in
   SMIv1 during the translation process. However, this loss of machine
   readable information is not considered to change the semantics of the
   MIB.

AgentX Working Group     Expires December 1999                  [Page 3]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                    9 June 1999

2.  Introduction

   The SNMP Agent Extensibility Protocol (AgentX) is a protocol used  to
   distribute  the  implementation  of  an  SNMP  agent amongst a single
   "master agent" and multiple "subagents". See [17] for  details  about
   the AgentX protocol.

   The goals of the AgentX MIB are:

      -  List the set of subagents that currently have logical sessions
         open with the master agent.

      -  Identify each subagent's type, vendor, transport address,
         AgentX protocol version, and other characteristics.

      -  Identify the set of MIB objects each subagent implements, the
         context in which the objects are registered, and the priority
         of the registration.

      -  Determine protocol operational parameters such as  the  timeout
         interval  for  responses  from  a  subagent and the priority at
         which a subagent registers a particular MIB region.

      -  Allow (but do not require) managers to be able to modify AgentX
         protocol operational parameters and to explicitly close
         subagent sessions with the master agent.

3.  AgentX MIB Overview

   This MIB is organized into four groups.  The agentxGeneral group
   provides information describing the master agent's AgentX support,
   including the protocol version supported.  The agentxConnection group
   provides information describing the current set of connections
   capable of carrying AgentX sessions.  The agentxSession group
   provides information describing the current set of AgentX sessions.
   The agentxRegistration group provides information describing the
   current set of registrations.

   Three tables form the heart of this mib.  These are the connection,
   session, and registration tables.

   Entries in the registration table exist in a many-to-one relationship
   with entries in the session table.  This relationship is expressed
   through the two common indices, agentxSessionIndex and
   agentxConnIndex.  Entries in the registration table also exist in a
   many-to-one relationship with entries in the connection table.  This
   relationship is expressed through the common index, agentxConnIndex.

AgentX Working Group     Expires December 1999                  [Page 4]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                    9 June 1999

   Entries in the session table exist in a many-to-one relationship with
   entries in the connection table.  This relationship is expressed
   through the common index, agentxConnIndex.

AgentX Working Group     Expires December 1999                  [Page 5]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                    9 June 1999

4.  Managed Object Definitions for AgentX

   AGENTX-MIB DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN

   IMPORTS
      MODULE-IDENTITY, OBJECT-TYPE, Unsigned32, mib-2
         FROM SNMPv2-SMI
      SnmpAdminString
         FROM SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB
      MODULE-COMPLIANCE, OBJECT-GROUP
         FROM SNMPv2-CONF
      TEXTUAL-CONVENTION, TimeStamp, TruthValue, TDomain
         FROM SNMPv2-TC;
   agentxMIB MODULE-IDENTITY
      LAST-UPDATED "9902081200Z" -- February 8, 1999
      ORGANIZATION "AgentX Working Group"
      CONTACT-INFO "WG-email:   [email-masked]
                    Subscribe:  [email-masked]
                    http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/agentx-charter.html

                    Chair:      Bob Natale
                                ACE*COMM Corporation
                    Email:      [email-masked]

                    WG editor:  Mark Ellison
                                Ellison Software Consulting, Inc.
                    Email:      [email-masked]

                    Co-author:  Lauren Heintz
                                Cerent Corporation,
                    EMail:      [email-masked]

                    Co-author:  Smitha Gudur
                                Independent Consultant
                    Email:      [email-masked]
                   "
      DESCRIPTION
         "This is the MIB module for the SNMP Agent Extensibility
          Protocol (AgentX).  This MIB module will be implemented by
          the master agent.
         "
      ::= { mib-2  ? } -- To be assigned by IANA.

AgentX Working Group     Expires December 1999                  [Page 6]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                    9 June 1999

   -- Textual Conventions

   AgentxTAddress ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
       STATUS       current
       DESCRIPTION
         "Denotes a transport service address.  This is identical to
          the TAddress textual convention (SNMPv2-SMI) except that
          zero-length values are permitted.
         "
       SYNTAX       OCTET STRING (SIZE (0..255))

   -- Administrative assignments

   agentxObjects OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { agentxMIB 1 }
   agentxGeneral OBJECT IDENTIFIER      ::= { agentxObjects 1 }
   agentxConnection OBJECT IDENTIFIER   ::= { agentxObjects 2 }
   agentxSession OBJECT IDENTIFIER      ::= { agentxObjects 3 }
   agentxRegistration OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { agentxObjects 4 }

   agentxDefaultTimeout OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      INTEGER (0..255)
      UNITS       "seconds"
      MAX-ACCESS  read-write
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "The default length of time, in seconds, that the master
          agent should allow to elapse after dispatching a message
          to a subagent before it regards the subagent as not
          responding.  This is a system-wide value that may be
          overridden by the values associated with a particular
          subagent (agentxSessionTimeout) or a particular registered
          MIB region (agentxRegTimeout).  If the associated values of
          agentxSessionTimeout, agentxRegTimeout and agentxDefaultTimeout
          all are zero, the master agent will not timeout while awaiting
          a response from the subagent.
         "
      DEFVAL      { 5 }
      ::= { agentxGeneral 1 }

AgentX Working Group     Expires December 1999                  [Page 7]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                    9 June 1999

   agentxMasterAgentXVer OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      INTEGER (1..255)
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "The AgentX protocol version supported by this master agent.
          The current protocol version is 1.  Note that the master agent
          must also allow registration of earlier version subagents.
         "
      ::= { agentxGeneral 2 }

   --      The AgentX Subagent Connection Group

   agentxConnTableLastChange OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      TimeStamp
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "The value of sysUpTime when the last row creation or deletion
          occurred in the agentxConnectionTable.
         "
      ::= { agentxConnection 1 }

   agentxConnectionTable OBJECT-TYPE
       SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF AgentxConnectionEntry
       MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
       STATUS      current
       DESCRIPTION
         "The agentxConnectionTable tracks all current AgentX transport
          connections.  There may be zero, one, or more AgentX sessions
          carried on a given AgentX connection.
         "
       ::= { agentxConnection 2 }

   agentxConnectionEntry OBJECT-TYPE
       SYNTAX      AgentxConnectionEntry
       MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
       STATUS      current
       DESCRIPTION
         "An agentxConnectionEntry contains information describing a
          single AgentX transport connection.  A connection may be
          used to support zero or more AgentX sessions.  An entry is
          created when a new transport connection is established,
          and is destroyed when the transport connection is terminated.
         "
       INDEX { agentxConnIndex }
       ::= { agentxConnectionTable 1 }

AgentX Working Group     Expires December 1999                  [Page 8]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                    9 June 1999

   AgentxConnectionEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
              agentxConnIndex            Unsigned32,
              agentxConnOpenTime         TimeStamp,
              agentxConnTransportDomain  TDomain,
              agentxConnTransportAddress AgentxTAddress }

   agentxConnIndex OBJECT-TYPE
       SYNTAX       Unsigned32
       MAX-ACCESS   not-accessible
       STATUS       current
       DESCRIPTION
         "agentxConnIndex contains the value that uniquely identifies
          an open transport connection used by this master agent
          to provide AgentX service.  Values of this index should
          not be re-used.  The value assigned to a given transport
          connection is constant for the lifetime of that connection.
         "
       ::= { agentxConnectionEntry 1 }

   agentxConnOpenTime OBJECT-TYPE
       SYNTAX       TimeStamp
       MAX-ACCESS   read-only
       STATUS       current
       DESCRIPTION
         "The value of sysUpTime when this connection was established
          and, therefore, its value when this entry was added to the table.
         "
       ::= { agentxConnectionEntry 2 }

   agentxConnTransportDomain OBJECT-TYPE
       SYNTAX       TDomain
       MAX-ACCESS   read-only
       STATUS       current
       DESCRIPTION
         "The transport protocol in use for this connection to the
          subagent.
         "
       ::= { agentxConnectionEntry 3 }

AgentX Working Group     Expires December 1999                  [Page 9]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                    9 June 1999

   agentxConnTransportAddress OBJECT-TYPE
       SYNTAX       AgentxTAddress
       MAX-ACCESS   read-only
       STATUS       current
       DESCRIPTION
         "The transport address of the remote (subagent) end of this
          connection to the master agent.  This object may be zero-length
          for unix-domain sockets (and possibly other types of transport
          addresses) since the subagent need not bind a filename to its
          local socket.
         "
       ::= { agentxConnectionEntry 4 }

   -- The AgentX Subagent Session Group

   agentxSessionTableLastChange OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      TimeStamp
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "The value of sysUpTime when the last row creation or deletion
          occurred in the agentxSessionTable.
         "
      ::= { agentxSession 1 }

   agentxSessionTable OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF AgentxSessionEntry
      MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "A table of AgentX subagent sessions currently in effect.
         "
      ::= { agentxSession 2 }

   agentxSessionEntry OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      AgentxSessionEntry
      MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "Information about a single open session between the AgentX
          master agent and a subagent is contained in this entry.  An
          entry is created when a new session is successfully established
          and is destroyed either when the parent transport connection
          has terminated or when the session is closed.
         "
      INDEX       { agentxConnIndex, agentxSessionIndex }
      ::= { agentxSessionTable 1 }

AgentX Working Group     Expires December 1999                 [Page 10]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                    9 June 1999

   AgentxSessionEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
      agentxSessionIndex         Unsigned32,
      agentxSessionObjectID      OBJECT IDENTIFIER,
      agentxSessionDescr         SnmpAdminString,
      agentxSessionAdminStatus   INTEGER,
      agentxSessionOpenTime      TimeStamp,
      agentxSessionAgentXVer     INTEGER,
      agentxSessionTimeout       INTEGER
   }

   agentxSessionIndex OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      Unsigned32
      MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "A unique index for the subagent session.  It is the same as
          h.sessionID defined in the agentx header.  Note that if
          a subagent's session with the master agent is closed for
          any reason its index should not be re-used.
         "
      ::= { agentxSessionEntry 1 }

   agentxSessionObjectID OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      OBJECT IDENTIFIER
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "This is taken from the o.id field of the agentx-Open-PDU.
          This attribute will report a value of '0.0' for subagents
          not supporting the notion of an AgentX session object
          identifier.
         "
      ::= { agentxSessionEntry 2 }

   agentxSessionDescr OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "A textual description of the subagent.  This is analogous to
          sysDescr defined in MIB-2 [2] and is taken from the o.descr
          field of the agentx-Open-PDU.  This attribute will report a
          zero-length string value for subagents not supporting the
          notion of a session description.
         "
      ::= { agentxSessionEntry 3 }

AgentX Working Group     Expires December 1999                 [Page 11]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                    9 June 1999

   agentxSessionAdminStatus OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      INTEGER {
                     up(1),
                     down(2)
                  }
      MAX-ACCESS  read-write
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "The administrative (desired) status of the subagent.  Setting
          the value to 'down(2)' closes the subagent session (with c.reason
          set to 'reasonByManager').
         "
      ::= { agentxSessionEntry 4 }

   agentxSessionOpenTime OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      TimeStamp
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "The value of sysUpTime when this session was opened and,
          therefore, its value when this entry was added to the table.
         "
      ::= { agentxSessionEntry 5 }

   agentxSessionAgentXVer OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      INTEGER (1..255)
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "The version of the AgentX protocol supported by the
          subagent.  This must be less than or equal to the value of
          agentxMasterAgentXVer.
         "
      ::= { agentxSessionEntry 6 }

   agentxSessionTimeout OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX     INTEGER (0..255)
      UNITS      "seconds"
      MAX-ACCESS read-only
      STATUS     current

AgentX Working Group     Expires December 1999                 [Page 12]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                    9 June 1999

      DESCRIPTION
         "The length of time, in seconds, that a master agent should
          allow to elapse after dispatching a message to this subagent
          before it regards the subagent as not responding.  This value
          is taken from the o.timeout field of the agentx-Open-PDU.

          This is a subagent-specific value that may be overridden by
          values associated with specific registered MIB regions (see
          agentxRegTimeout).  The default value of zero indicates that the
          master agent's default timeout value should be used (see
          agentxDefaultTimeout).
         "
      ::= { agentxSessionEntry 7 }

   -- The AgentX Registration Group

   agentxRegistrationTableLastChange OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      TimeStamp
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "The value of sysUpTime when the last row creation or deletion
          occurred in the agentxRegistrationTable.
         "
      ::= { agentxRegistration 1 }

   agentxRegistrationTable OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF AgentxRegistrationEntry
      MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "A table of registered regions.
         "
      ::= { agentxRegistration 2 }

   agentxRegistrationEntry OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      AgentxRegistrationEntry
      MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "Contains information for a single registered region.  An
          entry is created when a subagent successfully registers a
          region and is destroyed for any of three reasons: this region
          is unregistered by the subagent, the parent session is closed,
          or the parent connection is closed.
         "
      INDEX       { agentxConnIndex, agentxSessionIndex, agentxRegIndex }
      ::= { agentxRegistrationTable 1 }

AgentX Working Group     Expires December 1999                 [Page 13]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                    9 June 1999

   AgentxRegistrationEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
      agentxRegIndex           Unsigned32,
      agentxRegContext         OCTET STRING,
      agentxRegStart           OBJECT IDENTIFIER,
      agentxRegRangeSubId      Unsigned32,
      agentxRegUpperBound      Unsigned32,
      agentxRegPriority        Unsigned32,
      agentxRegTimeout         INTEGER,
      agentxRegInstance        TruthValue }

   agentxRegIndex OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      Unsigned32
      MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "agentxRegIndex uniquely identifies a registration entry.
          This value is constant for the lifetime of an entry.
         "
      ::= { agentxRegistrationEntry 1 }

   agentxRegContext OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      OCTET STRING
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "The context in which the subagent supports the objects in this
          region.  A zero-length context indicates the default context.
         "
      ::= { agentxRegistrationEntry 2 }

   agentxRegStart OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      OBJECT IDENTIFIER
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "The starting OBJECT IDENTIFIER of this registration entry.  The
          subagent identified by agentxSessionIndex implements objects
          starting at this value (inclusive).  Note that this value could
          identify an object type, an object instance, or a partial object
          instance.
         "
      ::= { agentxRegistrationEntry 3 }

AgentX Working Group     Expires December 1999                 [Page 14]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                    9 June 1999

   agentxRegRangeSubId OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      Unsigned32
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "agentxRegRangeSubId is used to specify the range.  This is
          taken from r.region_subid in the registration PDU.  If the value
          of this object is zero, no range is specified.  If it is non-zero,
          it identifies the `nth' sub-identifier in r.region for which
          this entry's agentxRegUpperBound value is substituted in the
          OID for purposes of defining the region's upper bound.
         "
      ::= { agentxRegistrationEntry 4 }

   agentxRegUpperBound OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      Unsigned32
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
        "agentxRegUpperBound represents the upper-bound sub-identifier in
         a registration.  This is taken from the r.upper_bound in the
         registration PDU.  If agentxRegRangeSubid (r.region_subid) is
         zero, this value is also zero and is not used to define an upper
         bound for this registration.
        "
      ::= { agentxRegistrationEntry 5 }

   agentxRegPriority OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      Unsigned32
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "The subagent's priority when exporting this OID range.
          Lower values have higher priority.  This value is taken
          from r.priority in the register PDU.  Subagents should
          use the value of 127 for r.priority if a default value
          is desired.
         "
      ::= { agentxRegistrationEntry 6 }

   agentxRegTimeout OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      INTEGER (0..255)
      UNITS       "seconds"
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current

AgentX Working Group     Expires December 1999                 [Page 15]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                    9 June 1999

      DESCRIPTION
         "The timeout value, in seconds, for subagent responses to
          requests associated with this OID range.  A value of zero
          indicates the default value (indicated by agentxSessionTimeout
          or agentxDefaultTimeout) is to be used.  This value is taken
          from the r.timeout field of the agentx-Register-PDU.
         "
      ::= { agentxRegistrationEntry 7 }

   agentxRegInstance OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX      TruthValue
      MAX-ACCESS  read-only
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "The value of agentxRegInstance is `true' for
          registrations for which the INSTANCE_REGISTRATION
          was set, and is `false' for all other registrations.
         "
      ::= { agentxRegistrationEntry 8 }

   -- Conformance Statements for AgentX

   agentxConformance     OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { agentxMIB 2 }
   agentxMIBGroups       OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { agentxConformance 1 }
   agentxMIBCompliances  OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { agentxConformance 2 }

   -- Compliance Statements for AgentX

   agentxMIBCompliance MODULE-COMPLIANCE
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "The compliance statement for SNMP entities that implement the
          AgentX protocol.  Note that a compliant agent can implement all
          objects in this MIB module as read-only.
         "
      MODULE -- this module
         MANDATORY-GROUPS  { agentxMIBGroup }

         OBJECT agentxDefaultTimeout
            MIN-ACCESS read-only
            DESCRIPTION
               "Write access is not required.
               "

AgentX Working Group     Expires December 1999                 [Page 16]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                    9 June 1999

         OBJECT agentxSessionAdminStatus
            MIN-ACCESS read-only
            DESCRIPTION
               "Write access is not required.
               "
      ::= { agentxMIBCompliances 1 }

   agentxMIBGroup OBJECT-GROUP
      OBJECTS {
         agentxDefaultTimeout,
         agentxMasterAgentXVer,
         agentxConnTableLastChange,
         agentxConnOpenTime,
         agentxConnTransportDomain,
         agentxConnTransportAddress,
         agentxSessionTableLastChange,
         agentxSessionTimeout,
         agentxSessionObjectID,
         agentxSessionDescr,
         agentxSessionAdminStatus,
         agentxSessionOpenTime,
         agentxSessionAgentXVer,
         agentxRegistrationTableLastChange,
         agentxRegContext,
         agentxRegStart,
         agentxRegRangeSubId,
         agentxRegUpperBound,
         agentxRegPriority,
         agentxRegTimeout,
         agentxRegInstance
      }
      STATUS      current
      DESCRIPTION
         "All accessible objects in the AgentX MIB.
         "
      ::= { agentxMIBGroups 1 }

   END

AgentX Working Group     Expires December 1999                 [Page 17]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                    9 June 1999

5.  Intellectual Property

   The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any
   intellectual property or other rights that might be claimed to
   pertain to the implementation or use of the technology described in
   this document or the extent to which any license under such rights
   might or might not be available; neither does it represent that it
   has made any effort to identify any such rights.  Information on the
   IETF's procedures with respect to rights in standards-track and
   standards-related documentation can be found in BCP-11.  Copies of
   claims of rights made available for publication and any assurances of
   licenses to be made available, or the result of an attempt made to
   obtain a general license or permission for the use of such
   proprietary rights by implementors or users of this specification can
   be obtained from the IETF Secretariat.

   The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its attention any
   copyrights, patents or patent applications, or other proprietary
   rights which may cover technology that may be required to practice
   this standard.  Please address the information to the IETF Executive
   Director.

6.  Acknowledgements

   This document is the result of the efforts of the IETF AgentX Working
   Group (WG).

   This MIB is an evolution of the Subagent MIB by Bert Wijnen
   ([email-masked]) which in turn was derived from the SMUX-MIB by
   Marshall Rose [18].

   Thanks are in order to the following AgentX WG members:

       Mike Daniele (Compaq Computer Corporation)
       Dale Francisco (Cisco Systems)
       Bob Natale (ACE*COMM Corporation)
       Randy Presuhn (BMC Software, Inc.)
       Shawn Routhier (Epilogue)
       Mike Thatcher (Independent Consultant)

   Special acknowledgement is made to:

       Maria Greene (Xedia)

AgentX Working Group     Expires December 1999                 [Page 18]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                    9 June 1999

   Special acknowledgement is also made to the following individuals for
   participating  in  the  1998  AgentX testing summit (bakeoff) held in
   Sunnyvale, California:

       Jeff Case (SNMP Research, Inc.)
       Mike Daniele (Compaq Computer Corporation)
       Mark Ellison (Ellison Software Consulting, Inc.)
       Lauren Heintz (BMC Software, Inc.)
       Verne Hyde (Independent Consultant)
       Bob Natale (ACE*COMM Corporation)
       Shawn Routhier (Epilogue)
       Mike Thatcher (Independent Consultant)
       Bert Wijnen (IBM T. J. Watson Research Center)

7.  Security Considerations

   There are a number of management objects defined in this MIB that
   have a MAX-ACCESS clause of read-write and/or read-create.  Such
   objects may be considered sensitive or vulnerable in some network
   environments.  The support for SET operations in a non-secure
   environment without proper protection can have a negative effect on
   network operations.

   There are a number of managed objects in this MIB that may contain
   sensitive information. These are: agentxDefaultTimeout and
   agentxSessionAdminStatus.  Setting agentxDefaultTimeout to an
   inappropriately small value can prevent new subagent sessions from
   being usable.  Setting agentxSessionAdminStatus to an inappropriate
   value can effectively prevent access to management information, or
   provide access to inappropriate information.

   It is thus important to control even GET access to these objects and
   possibly to even encrypt the values of these objects when sending
   them over the network via SNMP.  Not all versions of SNMP provide
   features for such a secure environment.

   SNMPv1 by itself is not a secure environment.  Even if the network
   itself is secure (for example by using IPSec), even then, there is no
   control as to who on the secure network is allowed to access and
   GET/SET (read/change/create/delete) the objects in this MIB.

   It is recommended that the implementers consider the security
   features as provided by the SNMPv3 framework.  Specifically, the use
   of the User-based Security Model RFC 2574 [12] and the View-based
   Access Control Model RFC 2575 [15] is recommended.

AgentX Working Group     Expires December 1999                 [Page 19]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                    9 June 1999

   It is then a customer/user responsibility to  ensure  that  the  SNMP
   entity  giving  access  to  an  instance  of  this  MIB,  is properly
   configured to give access to the objects  only  to  those  principals
   (users)   that   have   legitimate   rights  to  indeed  GET  or  SET
   (change/create/delete) them.

AgentX Working Group     Expires December 1999                 [Page 20]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                    9 June 1999

8.  References

   [1] Harrington, D., Presuhn, R., and B. Wijnen, "An Architecture for
      Describing SNMP Management Frameworks", RFC 2571, Cabletron
      Systems, Inc., BMC Software, Inc., IBM T. J. Watson Research,
      April 1999

   [2] Rose, M., and K. McCloghrie, "Structure and Identification of
      Management Information for TCP/IP-based Internets", RFC 1155, STD
      16, Performance Systems International, Hughes LAN Systems, May
      1990

   [3] Rose, M., and K. McCloghrie, "Concise MIB Definitions", RFC 1212,
      STD 16, Performance Systems International, Hughes LAN Systems,
      March 1991

   [4] M. Rose, "A Convention for Defining Traps for use with the SNMP",
      RFC 1215, Performance Systems International, March 1991

   [5] McCloghrie, K., Perkins, D., Schoenwaelder, J., Case, J., Rose,
      M., and S. Waldbusser, "Structure of Management Information
      Version 2 (SMIv2)", RFC 2578, STD 58, Cisco Systems, SNMPinfo, TU
      Braunschweig, SNMP Research, First Virtual Holdings, International
      Network Services, April 1999

   [6] McCloghrie, K., Perkins, D., Schoenwaelder, J., Case,  J.,  Rose,
      M.,  and S. Waldbusser, "Textual Conventions for SMIv2", RFC 2579,
      STD 58, Cisco Systems, SNMPinfo, TU Braunschweig,  SNMP  Research,
      First Virtual Holdings, International Network Services, April 1999

   [7] McCloghrie, K., Perkins, D., Schoenwaelder, J., Case, J., Rose,
      M., and S. Waldbusser, "Conformance Statements for SMIv2", RFC
      2580, STD 58, Cisco Systems, SNMPinfo, TU Braunschweig, SNMP
      Research, First Virtual Holdings, International Network Services,
      April 1999

   [8] Case, J., Fedor, M., Schoffstall, M., and J. Davin, "Simple
      Network Management Protocol", RFC 1157, STD 15, SNMP Research,
      Performance Systems International, Performance Systems
      International, MIT Laboratory for Computer Science, May 1990.

   [9] Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser,
      "Introduction to Community-based SNMPv2", RFC 1901, SNMP Research,
      Inc., Cisco Systems, Inc., Dover Beach Consulting, Inc.,
      International Network Services, January 1996.

AgentX Working Group     Expires December 1999                 [Page 21]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                    9 June 1999

   [10]  Case,  J.,  McCloghrie,  K.,  Rose,  M.,  and  S.   Waldbusser,
      "Transport Mappings for Version 2 of the Simple Network Management
      Protocol (SNMPv2)", RFC 1906, SNMP Research, Inc., Cisco  Systems,
      Inc.,   Dover   Beach   Consulting,  Inc.,  International  Network
      Services, January 1996.

   [11] Case, J., Harrington D., Presuhn R., and B. Wijnen, "Message
      Processing and Dispatching for the Simple Network Management
      Protocol (SNMP)", RFC 2572, SNMP Research, Inc., Cabletron
      Systems, Inc., BMC Software, Inc., IBM T. J. Watson Research,
      April 1999

   [12] Blumenthal, U., and B. Wijnen, "User-based Security Model (USM)
      for version 3 of the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMPv3)",
      RFC 2574, IBM T. J. Watson Research, April 1999

   [13] Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser, "Protocol
      Operations for Version 2 of the Simple Network Management Protocol
      (SNMPv2)", RFC 1905, SNMP Research, Inc., Cisco Systems, Inc.,
      Dover Beach Consulting, Inc., International Network Services,
      January 1996.

   [14] Levi, D., Meyer, P., and B. Stewart, "SNMPv3 Applications", RFC
      2573, SNMP Research, Inc., Secure Computing Corporation, Cisco
      Systems, April 1999

   [15] Wijnen, B., Presuhn, R., and K. McCloghrie, "View-based Access
      Control Model (VACM) for the Simple Network Management Protocol
      (SNMP)", RFC 2575, IBM T. J. Watson Research, BMC Software, Inc.,
      Cisco Systems, Inc., April 1999

   [16] Case, J., Mundy, R., Partain, D., and B. Stewart, "Introduction
      to Version 3 of the Internet-standard Network Management
      Framework", RFC 2570, SNMP Research, Inc., TIS Labs at Network
      Associates, Inc., Ericsson, Cisco Systems, April 1999

   [17] Daniele, M., Wijnen, B., and D. Francisco, "Agent Extensibility
      (AgentX) Protocol, Version 1", RFC 2257 Digital Equipment
      Corporation, T.J. Watson Research Center, IBM Corp., Cisco
      Systems, Januuary, 1998

   [18] Rose, M., "SNMP MUX Protocol and MIB", RFC1227, Performance
      Systems International, May 1991.

AgentX Working Group     Expires December 1999                 [Page 22]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                    9 June 1999

9.  Authors' and Editor's Addresses

   Lauren Heintz
   Cerent Corporation
   1450 North McDowell Blvd.
   Petaluma, CA 94954-6515
   USA
   Phone:      +1 707-793-1714
   EMail:      [email-masked]

   Smitha Gudur
   Independent Consultant
   EMail:      [email-masked]

   Mark Ellison (WG editor)
   Ellison SOftware Consulting, Inc.
   33 Eastview Drive, Suite #10
   Wilton, NH 03086
   USA
   Phone:       +1 603-654-2703
   Email:       [email-masked]

10.  Full Copyright Statement

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (1999).  All Rights Reserved.

   This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to
   others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it
   or assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published
   and distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any
   kind, provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
   included on all such copies and derivative works.  However, this
   document itself may not be modified in any way, such as by removing
   the copyright notice or references to the Internet Society or other
   Internet organizations, except as needed for the purpose of
   developing Internet standards in which case the procedures for
   copyrights defined in the Internet Standards process must be
   followed, or as required to translate it into languages other than
   English.

   The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will not be
   revoked by the Internet Society or its successors or assigns.

   This document and the information contained herein is provided on an
   "AS IS" basis and THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING

AgentX Working Group     Expires December 1999                 [Page 23]

Internet Draft                 AgentX MIB                    9 June 1999

   TASK FORCE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING
   BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION
   HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
   MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

AgentX Working Group     Expires December 1999                 [Page 24]

---

From: Lauren Heintz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 10:48:26 -0700

Hi,

The last submitted/accepted AgentX MIB draft was draft-ietf-agentx-mib-02.txt,
so I believe this one needs to be draft-ietf-agentx-mib-03.txt in order to be
accepted.

Lauren

Mark Ellison wrote:

>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> INTERNET-DRAFT                                                 L. Heintz
>                                                       Cerent Corporation
>                                                                 S. Gudur
>                                                   Independent Consultant
>                                                          M. Ellison, Ed.