Subject: snmpDomain OID for UNIX domain sockets?

From: Frank Fock <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 14:42:27 +0100

Hi,

if I have not overlooked something, there is no snmpDomain OID for UNIX
domain sockets defined in the SNMPv2-TM MIB nor in the AGENTX-MIB. 

So, what OID should I use when setting up an agentxConnTransportDomain 
object for an AgentX UNIX domain socket connection? Where is it defined,
if it is defined somewhere?

TIA,
Frank Fock

-- 
Frank Fock                     Marconi Communications Software Systems
<[email-masked]>  Blumenstrasse 22-24, 
Phone: +49 7191 13-4851        71522 Backnang,            
Fax:   +49 7191 13-2502        Germany

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 12:45:39 +0100

>>>>> Frank Fock writes:

Frank> if I have not overlooked something, there is no snmpDomain OID
Frank> for UNIX domain sockets defined in the SNMPv2-TM MIB nor in the
Frank> AGENTX-MIB.

Correct.

Frank> So, what OID should I use when setting up an
Frank> agentxConnTransportDomain object for an AgentX UNIX domain
Frank> socket connection? Where is it defined, if it is defined
Frank> somewhere?

The AGENTX-MIB is an example showing the need for more concrete
TAddress definitions. There is also a desire in other WGs to use a
centrally administered enumeration rather than OIDs to identify
address types.

The IPv6-MIB design team is motivated to write a document which makes
IANA responsible for maintaining address type assignments. This
document will also provide additional concrete TAddress definitions.
But there is no concrete document out there yet since we first want to
get the INET-ADDRESS-MIB through IETF last call and IESG review.

Once such a document is in place, the AgentX WG has to decide whether
they want to adopt it for the AGENTX-MIB or not (which probably means
to recycle once at Proposed).

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder      Technical University Braunschweig
<[email-masked]>  Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Phone: +49 531 391 3289    Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Fax:   +49 531 391 5936    <URL:http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>

---

From: Mike Daniele <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 09:41:09 -0500

Hi,

As Lauren's reply said, we didn't feel the AgentX MIB was the place
to define TDomain/TAddress values.  We felt (as do many) there should be a single
document with such defs, because they are really independent of application protocol.

And in fact, now that we're just about done defining inet address constructs
(draft-ops-endpoint-mib-07.txt), I believe we'll start on a draft for
transport constructs.

Mike