Subject: Re: [Anima-bootstrap] Brian: GRASP parameter for registrar discovery by proxy

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 09:49:51 -0500

Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > That seems a bit disjoint from "proxy needs to find registrar". And it
    > definitely
    > sounds like a two-way conversation, which would more naturally be
    > modelled as
    > a negotiation. Can you change that from a "what if?" to a more specific
    > requirement that we can model?

There are two aspects.
1) In the Circuit Proxy case, it would be good if the Registrar was able to
   point the Join Proxy at a different device.  Or rather, decline to serve
   it, "too busy".  M_FLOOD/M_DISCOVER does not provide for this.

2) In the IPIP case, it might make some implementations easier if the
   Registrar was aware of the Join Proxy before the traffic arrives, so
   that the Registrar could configure the appropriate virtual interfaces.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 15:01:55 +1300

>    it, "too busy".  M_FLOOD/M_DISCOVER does not provide for this.

True, you would have to build it into the initial BRSKI exchange instead.
With GRASP negotiation, you would just respond with M_END/O_DECLINE.

>    that the Registrar could configure the appropriate virtual interfaces.

Yes, you could use a O_WAIT to make the proxy wait while doing the setup
and then return any necessary parameters by M_NEGOTIATE, or simply signal
success by M_END/O_ACCEPT.

As you want. At the GRASP store, objectives are free of charge, and
all the best names are still available.

    Brian