Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] [Fwd: Gen-ART LC review of draft-loreto-http-bidirectional-05.txt]

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 16:09:26 -0700

To close the loop on-list, the authors have added the following
paragraph to the introduction:

   The authors acknowledge that both the "HTTP long polling" and "HTTP
   streaming" mechanisms stretch the original semantic of HTTP and that
   the HTTP protocol was not designed for bidirectional communication.
   This document neither encourages nor discourages the use of these
   mechanisms, and takes no position on whether they provide appropriate
   solutions to the problem of providing bidirectional communication
   between clients and servers.  Instead, this document merely
   identifies technical issues with these mechanisms and suggests best
   practices for their deployment.

That's not quite what we have in version -06, but we'll submit -07 soon
if Brian doesn't object to that text.

Peter

On 12/3/10 8:47 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> I thought I should forward my Gen-ART review here, since it
> contains an opinion statement. See attachment.
> 
>    Brian
> 
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: Gen-ART LC review of draft-loreto-http-bidirectional-05.txt
> Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 16:44:06 +1300
> From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
> Organization: University of Auckland
> To: [email-masked],  General Area Review Team <[email-masked]>
> 
>

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 16:31:07 +1300

It's OK for me, but at this point it's really the IESG's
opinion that matters.

Thanks
   Brian Carpenter