Subject: [apps-discuss] Apps-team review of draft-ietf-dnsop-default-local-zones-15

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 09:18:52 -0700

I have been selected as the Applications Area Review Team reviewer 
for this draft (for background on apps-review, please see 
http://www.apps.ietf.org/content/applications-area-review-team).

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments 
you may receive. Please wait for direction from your document 
shepherd or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

Document: draft-ietf-dnsop-default-local-zones-15
Reviewer: S. Moonesamy
Review Date: April 16, 2011
IETF Last Call Date: 2011-04-11
IESG Telechat Date: 2011-04-28

Summary:

This draft is ready for publication as a BCP.

The draft specifies the DNS zones all iterative resolvers and 
recursive nameservers should automatically serve.

Major Issues:

None

Minor Issues:

None

Nits:

In Section 1:

   "Experience with the Domain Name System (DNS, [RFC1034] and [RFC1035])
    has shown that there are a number of DNS zones that all iterative
    resolvers and recursive nameservers SHOULD automatically serve,
    unless intentionally configured otherwise."

The "SHOULD" should not be capitalized as the RFC 2119 key words are 
only defined in Section 1.1.

   "Additionally, queries from clients behind badly configured firewalls
    that allow outgoing queries for these name spaces but drop the
    responses, put a significant load on the root servers (forward but no
    reverse zones configured)."

According to RFC 5855, the load would be going to "reverse" servers 
instead of root servers due to an operational change for the in-addr.arpa zone.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy