Subject: [apps-discuss] Fwd: ALTO extensions: new list + problem statement

From: Enrico Marocco <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 17:12:01 +0100

FYI -- ALTO is currently an HTTP-based protocol and some of the very
preliminary extension proposals that came out in recent discussions
included ALTO-over-XMPP. If only for that, people here may want to keep
an eye on it.

Enrico

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: ALTO extensions: new list + problem statement
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 16:54:49 +0100
From: Enrico Marocco <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>

Hi folks,

the new [email-masked] mailing list has just been created to discuss
possible extensions to the about-to-be-finished ALTO protocol.

We have also recently submitted a draft trying to summarize the
previous discussions on the subject:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-marocco-alto-next

In a nutshell: the possible extensions, primarily intended to better
address the CDN/datacenter and server-to-server use cases, mainly
concern:
  + a server-to-client notification mechanism;
  + additional types of information, such as:
    o network link load (average, over some recent timeframe);
    o server load (average, over some recent timeframe);
    o availability of resources such as memory, content, installed
      applications.

The new mailing list has been created in order to get broader feedback
and to get together people with experience in different areas. If you
have an opinion on whether and why the proposed (and possibly further)
extensions will be a good or a bad idea, you can join the discussion
at: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/altoext

-- 
Ciao,
Enrico