Subject: [apps-discuss] APPSDIR review of draft-ietf-tsvwg-source-quench-04

From: Tobias Gondrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 14:29:12 +0000

Hello,

I have been selected as the Applications Area Directorate reviewer for 
this draft (for background on appsdir, please see 
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/wiki/ApplicationsAreaDirectorate).

Please consider these comments along with any other Last Call comments 
you may receive.

Document:  draft-ietf-tsvwg-source-quench-04
Title:  Deprecation of ICMP Source Quench messages
Reviewer: Tobias Gondrom
Review Date: 2012-02-06
Abstract: This document formally deprecates the use of ICMP Source Quench
    messages by transport protocols, formally updating RFC 792, RFC 1122,
    and RFC 1812.  Additionally, it requests that the status of RFC 1016
    be changed to "Historic".

Summary:

This draft is ready for publication as an RFC.
And I agree with the conclusions of the Transport Area Working Group 
(tsvwg) to deprecate ICMP source quench, especially from a potential 
security perspective.

Comment/remark:
one of the reasons for deprecating ICMP source quench was given in the 
draft in section 1 as:
"- Virtually all popular host implementations have removed support
       for ICMP Source Quench messages since (at least) 2005 [RFC5927]"
Please note, that the reviewer did not test/verify this statement, but 
assumes that the transport working group has researched and confirmed 
this data in WGLC. If this is not the case, the transport are WG should 
reconfirm this assumption before the draft progresses to IESG.

Best regards, Tobias

Tobias Gondrom
email: [email-masked]
mobile: +447521003005