Subject: [apps-discuss] I-D Action: draft-ietf-appsawg-json-pointer-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 13:18:33 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Applications Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : JSON Pointer
	Author(s)       : Paul C. Bryan
                          Kris Zyp
	Filename        : draft-ietf-appsawg-json-pointer-01.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2012-03-09

   JSON Pointer defines a string syntax for identifying a specific value
   within a JSON document.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-appsawg-json-pointer-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-appsawg-json-pointer-01.txt

---

From: Mike Acar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 14:44:15 -0700

On 03/09/2012 01:18 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
>
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
> directories.

Typo: In section 4,

     The member name is equal to the token if it has the same number of
     Unicode characters as token and their codepoints are positionwise
     equal.

Need a "the" between "as" and "token".

You removed one "concrete", but should probably remove the next two. 
Since the section begins with

     Evaluation of a JSON Pointer begins with a reference to the root
     value of a JSON text document

the implication is that you're following the pointer and traversing an 
existing (concrete) object.

Actually, I suggest rewriting the paragraph, something like:

     While evaluating the JSON Pointer, if the implementation does not
     match the reference token to a member name or array index in the
     currently-referenced value, then the implementation MAY terminate
     evaluation with an error condition.

That said, I'm still concerned that this behavior interacts badly with 
Pointers as they're used in JSON Patch. I'll follow up in the patch 
thread, though.

-- 
Mike Acar -                                 - macar at cloudmark dot com

---

From: "Paul C. Bryan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 08:22:23 -0700

> Need a "the" between "as" and "token".

Thanks, fixed in next revision.

> Pointers as they're used in JSON Patch. I'll follow up in the patch 

Hmm, okay, we'll need to continue discussing this.

Paul