Subject: [apps-discuss] CFP: IEEE Internet Computing special issue on Virtualization

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 21:42:43 -0400

There are a bunch of people here who may be interested in writing
papers for the issue below.  Please also pass this along to others who
you think might be interested.

Barry

---------- Forwarded message ----------
IEEE Internet Computing is soliciting papers for a special issue on
Virtualization.

Final submissions due: 1 July 2012
Publication date: March/April 2013

Please email the guest editors a brief description of the article you
plan to submit by 15 June 2012.

One of the most famous adages in computer science is that “any problem
in computer science can be solved by an extra level of indirection.”
Increasingly, that level of indirection takes the form of
virtualization, where a resource’s consumers are provided with a
virtual rather than physical version of that resource. This layer of
indirection has helped address a multitude of problems, including
efficiency, security, high availability, elasticity, fault
containment, mobility, and scalability.

In the past several years virtualization has gone mainstream, and more
and more resources are virtualizable. Although virtual machines are
the most obvious example, others include desktop sharing (VNC),
virtual networks, virtual storage, and many more. All these have an
enormous impact on Internet computing. A key recent use of
virtualization is to enable infrastructure-as-a-service clouds.
Virtualization lets producers efficiently support many tenants while
strongly isolating them from each other, and consumers to be isolated
from the specifics of providers’ physical capacity, allowing, for
example, virtual machines to move between different computers and even
clouds. This special issue seeks articles from both industry and
academia that discuss the application and development of
virtualization in the Internet computing space. Topics include

- cloud computing;
- virtual networks;
- storage-area networks;
- remote desktops;
- security;
- performance (in a network context); and
- migration of virtual environments.

Editors' note: We encourage submissions from both academic and
industrial practitioners, especially as they pertain to open source
tools or products, but content must have technical merit, not be an
advertisement.

Questions?

Contact Guest Editors Fred Douglis and Orran Krieger ([email-masked])

All submissions must be original manuscripts of fewer than 5,000
words, focused on Internet technologies and implementations. All
manuscripts are subject to peer review on both technical merit and
relevance to IC’s international readership—primarily system and
software design engineers. We do not accept white papers, and we
discourage strictly theoretical or mathematical papers. To submit a
manuscript, please log on to ScholarOne
(https://mc.manuscriptcentral.com:443/ic-cs) to create or access an
account, which you can use to log on to IC’s Author Center and upload
your submission.
----------