Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on draft-ietf-appsawg-about-uri-scheme-06: (with COMMENT)

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 11:01:38 -0700

At 14:50 04-06-2012, Stephen Farrell wrote:
>Stephen Farrell has entered the following ballot position for
>draft-ietf-appsawg-about-uri-scheme-06: No Objection

[snip]

>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>COMMENT:
>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>The FCFS registration scheme could lead to anyone
>registering an about-token that's in current use in a
>browser. Why isn't expert review more suitable here to
>protect against such abuse? For example, nothing
>here prevents me from registering about:config, which
>is used by >1 browser. I don't get why that is not
>a problem. (This is almost a discuss btw, I'd really like
>to see a response if possible before the telechat.)

I'll suggest adding the following text to the fifth paragraph of Section 5.2.1:

   An existing assignment may be duplicated if the registered token is
   used in more than one Web browser implementation.

>Why does about-token "correspond" to hier-part from 3986?
>What would "about://example.com/foo/bar" mean? I'd have
>thought that omitting the authority would be correct for
>this scheme - why am I wrong?

I suggest removing the last sentence from Section 2.1.

The first paragraph of Section 2.2 can be modified as follows:

    The resource which a particular "about" URI references is denoted by
    <about-token> part of the URI.  It is not a hierarchical element for
    a naming authority.  The <about-query> specifies additional
    information about its handling and/or the information that should be
    returned by the resource which the URI references.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 13:00:28 -0700

Hi Stephen,

I'll defer to Barry for the changes to avoid any delay.

In response to the FCFS registration scheme part of the comment, I'll 
add the following text to the fifth paragraph of Section 5.2.1:

For the second part about "hier-part", I'll remove the last sentence 
from Section 2.1 of draft-ietf-appsawg-about-uri-scheme-06. The first 
paragraph of Section 2.2 will be as follows:

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 23:18:03 +0100

Hi SM,

Those look like fine changes to me. Thanks for taking
my comments into account,

Cheers,
S.

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 03:47:34 -0400

> my comments into account,

Great; SM, please post a new version when you're ready.

Barry