Subject: [apps-discuss] APPSAWG Process and Milestones

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 06:16:15 -0700

Hello APPSAWG folks,

Barry and your co-chairs have been discussing working group milestones.
When APPSAWG was chartered we logged a single milestone in the charter,
namely what was then our only document.  Since then we haven't been
updating these as new work arrives or old work completes.

We're looking at adopting a new procedure in APPSAWG, partly to keep the
milestones current but also to improve document progress in general and
avoid these long idle periods they seem to suffer.  The procedure is
described here, and we'd like some feedback on it before selecting a path
forward.

The idea is to assign both a document shepherd and a target date for
submission to the IESG ("Publication Requested" state) at the time a
document is accepted into APPSAWG.  That date, once agreed, will be added
to our charter as a milestone.  The document shepherd is typically a
working group chair, but we might take the liberty from time to time to
assign someone else.  That person will be responsible for keeping the
document active and working with the author(s) to ensure feedback is
appropriately addressed.  Selection of the shepherd will consider that
person's availability to help drive progress of the document so nothing
stagnates, and notify the co-chairs when a change to the target date will
be needed.

We feel this will improve the efficiency of document processing in APPSAWG,
and will also spread some of the workload around.  It might also give some
newcomers the support they need to get their work processed without undue
delay, and allow a few people who've never shepherded a document before to
give it a try.

We have the following documents active:

draft-ietf-appsawg-malformed-mail (shepherd: Salvatore)
draft-ietf-appsawg-media-type-suffix-regs (shepherd: Murray)
draft-ietf-appsawg-json-patch (shepherd: Murray)
draft-ietf-appsawg-json-pointer (shepherd: Murray)
draft-ietf-appsawg-webfinger (shepherd: Salvatore)

We propose the following milestones:

draft-ietf-appsawg-malformed-mail: November 2012
draft-ietf-appsawg-media-type-suffix-regs: August 2012
draft-ietf-appsawg-json-patch: October 2012
draft-ietf-appsawg-json-pointer: October 2012
draft-ietf-appsawg-webfinger: December 2012

So, comments please, on both the procedure and the proposed milestones for
these.

Thanks,

-MSK and (soon officially) Salvatore, APPSAWG co-chairs

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 08:09:04 -0600

On 7/19/12 7:16 AM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

> So, comments please, on both the procedure and the proposed milestones
> for these.

+1 to both.

/psa

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 10:34:38 +1000

> draft-ietf-appsawg-json-pointer: October 2012

Seems doable to me.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 21:16:16 +0100

On 19/07/2012 14:16, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
> Hello APPSAWG folks,
>
> Barry and your co-chairs have been discussing working group 
> milestones.  When APPSAWG was chartered we logged a single milestone 
> in the charter, namely what was then our only document. Since then we 
> haven't been updating these as new work arrives or old work completes.
>
> We're looking at adopting a new procedure in APPSAWG, partly to keep 
> the milestones current but also to improve document progress in 
> general and avoid these long idle periods they seem to suffer. The 
> procedure is described here, and we'd like some feedback on it before 
> selecting a path forward.
>
> document is accepted into APPSAWG.  That date, once agreed, will be 
> added to our charter as a milestone.  The document shepherd is 
> typically a working group chair, but we might take the liberty from 
> time to time to assign someone else.  That person will be responsible 
> for keeping the document active and working with the author(s) to 
> ensure feedback is appropriately addressed. Selection of the shepherd 
> will consider that person's availability to help drive progress of the 
> document so nothing stagnates, and notify the co-chairs when a change 
> to the target date will be needed.
>
> We feel this will improve the efficiency of document processing in 
> APPSAWG, and will also spread some of the workload around.  It might 
> also give some newcomers the support they need to get their work 
> processed without undue delay, and allow a few people who've never 
> shepherded a document before to give it a try.

I like the procedure.

> draft-ietf-appsawg-webfinger: December 2012

Looks Ok to me.