Subject: [apps-discuss] registering a text/diff format?

From: Jon Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 06:14:31 -0400

Hi folks,

Given the arrival of HTTP PATCH in RFC 5789[1], it seems like
registering a media type for the output of the 'diff' utility would be
a good idea. I'd like to start by documenting a "text/diff" format to
capture the unified diff format that's in common use. Often, diff
outputs something that would be a text/* type, although not always, so
perhaps there is a need for application/diff instead of or in addition
to text/diff.

I'd like to see this registered in the IANA standard media type tree,
so I'd like to see this captured as an RFC.  I've started working on
an Internet-Draft (https://github.com/jonm/text-diff) and have
attracted a couple of folks interested in helping out.

Would this WG be willing to take this work track on?

Thanks,
Jon
........
Jon Moore