Subject: [apps-discuss] An alteration to the WebFinger Spec

From: "Paul E. Jones" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 02:40:08 -0400

Folks,

Here's a proposal that some might find acceptable and others will probably
love.  It's just a proposal, so no bazookas, please, from those who will
find it troubling ;-)

http://hive.packetizer.com/users/paulej/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-appsawg-w
ebfinger-03-ALT.txt

What I did with this text is the following:

.         Included all of the current -03 text (not yet published, but text
folks proposed on the list)

.         Removed every reference to XML and XRD

.         Stated that the default format for /.well-known/host-meta.json is
JRD

.         Stated that the default format for /.well-known/host-meta is
implementation-dependent, so clients MUST use the Accept header to
explicitly request the desired representation when using that resource (this
is key to backward/forward compatibility and proper use of HTTP and Accept)

.         Removed the "account link relation" section

.         Removed the interop considerations section, since some feel there
is no need and I think requiring use of "Accept" on host-meta will address
any interop concerns

.         Removed the XML appendix that gave some people heartburn

This shaved off 6 pages of text, I think will still give us
backward-compatibility for those who have asked for it, but more clearly
positions JSON / JRD as the only format developers need to worry with.

Tell me what you think.

Paul