Subject: [apps-discuss] open issues with acct-uri spec

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 08:47:47 -0600

I see two open issues with draft-ietf-appsawg-acct-uri (which I think
we can resolve on the mailing list, thus saving precious meeting time
for topics that require realtime discussion):

1. In version -01, I think that I was too aggressive about trying to
simplify the ABNF, to wit:

   acctURI      =  "acct" ":" userinfo "@" host

The userinfo rule allows the colon character ':', but I don't think
that's what we want here. Instead, I think we want:

   acctURI      =  "acct" ":" userpart "@" host
   userpart     =  1*( unreserved / pct-encoded / sub-delims )

If you disagree with that definition, please reply to this message.

2. I would like to verify that the updated text about dereferencing
'acct' URIs is sensible. That is (last paragraph of
draft-ietf-appsawg-acct-uri-01, section 3):

   Because an 'acct' URI enables identification only and not
   interaction, it cannot be deferenced directly.  Any protocol that
   might use the 'acct' URI scheme, such as the WebFinger protocol
   [I-D.ietf-appsawg-webfinger] or the Simple Web Discovery protocol
   [I-D.jones-simple-web-discovery], is responsible for specifying how
   an 'acct' URI is dereferenced in the context of that protocol.  For
   example, an 'acct' URI might be passed as a parameter in an HTTP
   request and the service might retrieve the relevant information
   associated with the account identified by that URI and then provide
   that information to the requesting entity in an HTTP response.

Thanks!

Peter

- -- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/