Subject: [apps-discuss] APPSDIR review of draft-daboo-ical-vcard-parameter-encoding-02

From: Tim Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 08:50:58 -0800

I have been selected as the Apps Area Directorate reviewer for this
draft (for background on appsdir, please see
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/wiki/ApplicationsAreaDirectorate
).

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
you may receive. Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

Document:   draft-daboo-ical-vcard-parameter-encoding-02
Title: Parameter Value Encoding in iCalendar and vCard
Reviewer:  Tim Bray
Review Date:  Dec 28th 2012

Summary: This draft is ready for publication, after fixing one error

Major issues:  None

Minor issues:  Section 3, second para. Text reads “If a ^ (U+005E)
character is followed by any other character than the ones above,
parsers SHOULD leave the ^ character in place.”

- This should read “SHOULD leave both the ^ and the following
character in place”.
- Shouldn’t this be a MUST?  The whole escaping scheme is going to
blow up if software starts doing this wrong, or am I missing
something?
- You might want to consider putting this rule in the table, “^
followed by any other character|left unchanged”. Might be simpler.

Nits: Appendix A.  Did the discussion also consider the very
successful and generalized character escaping system, as used in HTML
& XML, of &#x22; or &#34; for U+0022?  If you did that, you’d never
have to revisit this again, when (as seems likely) the need for other
character-escaping functions arises in the future?