Subject: [Autoconf] MR terminology

From: Teco Boot <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 08:29:32 +0200

Hi all,

I think the abbreviation MR is confusing. In a NEMO context it stands for
Mobile Router, where in MANET context is stands for MANET Router. Those two
are very different. 

RFC 3753 Mobility Related Terminology & draft-ietf-nemo-terminology-06:

   Mobile Router (MR)

      A router capable of changing its point of attachment to the
      network, moving from one link to another link.  The MR is capable
      of forwarding packets between two or more interfaces, and possibly
      running a dynamic routing protocol modifying the state by which it
      does packet forwarding.

      A MR acting as a gateway between an entire mobile network and the
      rest of the Internet has one or more egress interface(s)  and one
      or more ingress interface(s).  Packets forwarded upstream to the
      rest of the Internet are transmitted through one of the MR's
      egress interface; packets forwarded downstream to the mobile
      network are transmitted through one of the MR's ingress interface.

draft-ietf-autoconf-manetarch-01:

   MANET Router (MR)
      an entity that has one or more MANET interfaces and that engages
      in a MANET routing protocol.  A MANET router may also have zero or
      more classic IP interfaces to which hosts may connect.

So a router could be no MR, a MR, a MR or a MR and MR.

Also publish on MANET ML?

Regards, Teco

_______________________________________________
Autoconf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/autoconf