Subject: FW: [Autoconf] MR terminology

From: "Teco Boot" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 17:26:28 +0200

Fred, Ben,

Here an old copy with exactly the same "original" MMR suggestion. NMR could
be used where a NEMO Mobile Router is meant.

In a new document, for example the MANET.arch, we could define the new
acronyms. We could kick out MANET Router and define MR as Mobile Router. Is
the document about MANET only, it is OK, the MR runs a MANET protocol. If
the document is about NEMO only, also OK, the MR runs NEMO. In MANEMO
documents, where a mixed setup is discussed, with nodes and routers running
MIP, MANET and NEMO things can be confusing and the full acronyms MMR, NMR,
MMN, MN etc. shall be used (Mobile Node and Manet Node has same problems).

Some would prefer using the term MANET Router.

Regards, Teco

-----Original Message-----
From: Teco Boot [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: woensdag 25 april 2007 9:28
To: 'Ian Chakeres'
Subject: RE: [Autoconf] MR terminology

Hi Ian, 

Jari forced us (MANEMO folks) to work on a clear problem statement and after
some consensus find solutions ;-).

I think MR for Mobile Router is commonly used, also in STD Tracks RFCs (e.g.
RFC3963 NEMO Basic). MANET Experimental RFCs doesn't use MR. So changing the
MANET Router abbreviation seems more logical.

Similar problem: MIP Home Agent and Home Address uses HA and HoA. I don't
like such a solution, e.g. MaR for MANER Router. Some use MAR for Mobile
Access Router (Cisco does, the Cisco MAR runs NEMO and not MANET!!!).

MANETarch use RT for Router. MRT could be used fro MANET RT.

Another approach would be using a prefix, e.g. NMR for NEMO Mobile Router
and MMR for MANET MANET Router. The MM in MMR is double, to be solved in the
next option.

The two could also converge, and an architecture for the Mobile Domain could
include MANET and MIP/NEMO. Then MR is Mobile Router, running both a MANET
protocol and a Mobile IP stack. This is my personal favorite. But it is not
providing a clear solution for our short term problem.
This option could be used with the previous: MR is a Mobile Router in the
Mobile domain, either running MANET or NEMO. NMR is more specific, it runs
NEMO only. MMR is a MANET-only Mobile Router. 

By the way, MN has the same problem; it stands for MANET Node (MANETarch)
and for Mobile Node (RFC3753).
Also the usage of the term Node should be verified. Within IETF, the term is
used for a Host or a Router. Things are mixed up in MANETarch, there a Node
is a Router and a set of hosts (set is 0 or more). Also one of the hosts in
the MN could be a router, like a LFR in RFC3963 / LFN in NEMOterms.

I think we should discuss this with the NEMO WG chairs. A new I-D could be
written for an informational RFC updating 3753 for both NEMO and MANET. I
think it would be better to replace RFC3753. A single RFC defining all
terminology for the mobile domain without duplicates is helpful.

Regards, Teco

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ian Chakeres [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: woensdag 25 april 2007 8:42
> To: Teco Boot
> Subject: Re: [Autoconf] MR terminology
> 
> Do you have a suggestion on another term for either the Mobile Router
> or MANET Router?
> 
> Ian
> 
> On 4/25/07, Teco Boot <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I think the abbreviation MR is confusing. In a NEMO context it stands
> for
> > Mobile Router, where in MANET context is stands for MANET Router. Those
> two
> > are very different.
> >
> >
> > RFC 3753 Mobility Related Terminology & draft-ietf-nemo-terminology-06:
> >
> >    Mobile Router (MR)
> >
> >       A router capable of changing its point of attachment to the
> >       network, moving from one link to another link.  The MR is capable
> >       of forwarding packets between two or more interfaces, and possibly
> >       running a dynamic routing protocol modifying the state by which it
> >       does packet forwarding.
> >
> >       A MR acting as a gateway between an entire mobile network and the
> >       rest of the Internet has one or more egress interface(s)  and one
> >       or more ingress interface(s).  Packets forwarded upstream to the
> >       rest of the Internet are transmitted through one of the MR's
> >       egress interface; packets forwarded downstream to the mobile
> >       network are transmitted through one of the MR's ingress interface.
> >
> >
> > draft-ietf-autoconf-manetarch-01:
> >
> >    MANET Router (MR)
> >       an entity that has one or more MANET interfaces and that engages
> >       in a MANET routing protocol.  A MANET router may also have zero or
> >       more classic IP interfaces to which hosts may connect.
> >
> >
> > So a router could be no MR, a MR, a MR or a MR and MR.
> >
> > Also publish on MANET ML?
> >
> > Regards, Teco
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Autoconf mailing list
> > [email-masked]
> > https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/autoconf
> >

_______________________________________________
Autoconf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/autoconf