Subject: [Autoconf] Effect of IP assignment on routing

From: Volker Böhme <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 17:29:06 +0200

Hello,

i am searching for some Information about how autoconfiguration of IP 
addresses effects routing. Unfortunately i didn't find any paper which 
addresses such problem. So does one of you know a paper which includes some 
information about the effect of IP assignment on routing? Please inform me if 
you know one.

kind regards,
Volker Böhme

_______________________________________________
Autoconf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/autoconf

---

From: "???\(FSA\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 08:44:13 +0900

hi volker bohme

Let's consider Internet connectivity, the one of important elements is whether topological correct address(TCA) can be configured within MANET area I think.
If any MANET node has TCA scheme, a packet could be required a forwarding mechanism to trasfer its own to internet,
otherwise a packet could use route entry configured by any routing protocol to internet.

IP assignment within only MANET area is another problem I think

So I think there are various views according to viewpoint.

How about think my opinion ? 

best regards
Hyung-Jin, Lim

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 11:38:48 +0200

Volker Böhme wrote:
>  addresses effects routing.

Information may be closer to you than you may doubt :-)

Auto-configuring an IPv4 address on a endhost with DHCPv4 involves
adding a default route and a 'connected' route in that host's routing
table.  One can check that with ifconfig and route or netstat commands.

Auto-configuring an IPv6 address with stateless auto-config involves the
same.

I _think_ DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation (assign a prefix to a end node, not
an address) involves adding routes on the remote systems (not on the end
node), but I have never tried in practice.

Same if you try PPP.

> Unfortunately i didn't find any paper which addresses such problem.

This is a bit normal.  Normally, assigning an address to a node always 
respects the pre-established addressing topology; routing is not 
supposed to change upon address assignment.

Unless of course we talk alternative or different Internet designs, or 
micro-mobility, or MANETs.  For all these there's a large body of 
publications, Internet Drafts and patents.  I'm not sure what you look 
for exactly.

And if you don't find one - write one :-)  What do you want to write?

Alex

______________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email 
______________________________________________________________________

---

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 07:57:56 -0700

Alex, 
 
> node), but I have never tried in practice.

I want to also allow DHCPv6 PD for /128 prefixes (i.e., a
singleton prefix) which is pretty much the same thing as
an address. I have checked specs and talked to authors,
and AFAICT DHCPv6 PD supports delegation of /128s.

Thanks - Fred
[email-masked]

---

From: Volker Böhme <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 11:53:09 +0100

Hi Alex,

what you are talking about is not really what i had in mind. The scenario i 
was looking at it is as follows: 
1. We have a MANET with Internet connectivity.
2. IP Address should be assigned to each node.
3. An ad-hoc routing protocol is used within the MANET.
Now there are different possibilities which routing protocol can be used. 
There are routing protocols which use flat routing (AODV,OLSR) and there are 
routing protocols which use hierarchical routing (ZRP, HARP).  My question 
know is, if there are any studies about the effect of used autoconfiguration 
algorithm regarding to the used routing protocol. How does the 
autoconfiguration algorithm effect the routing tabels?

> supposed to change upon address assignment.

But the routing tables depend on how the address are assigned. So can the 
address assignment task really be treated independent from the routing task? 
Or do we always have to bear in mind which routing protocol is used?

> publications, Internet Drafts and patents.  I'm not sure what you look

I am talking about MANETs with Internet connectivity.

Kind regards
Volker Böhme

0 Oct 2007 06:53:12 -0400
From: Volker =?iso-8859-1?q?Böhme?= <[email-masked]>
To: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Autoconf] Effect of IP assignment on routing
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 11:53:09 +0100
Cc: [email-masked]

Hi Alex,

what you are talking about is not really what i had in mind. The scenario i 
was looking at it is as follows: 
1. We have a MANET with Internet connectivity.
2. IP Address should be assigned to each node.
3. An ad-hoc routing protocol is used within the MANET.
Now there are different possibilities which routing protocol can be used. 
There are routing protocols which use flat routing (AODV,OLSR) and there are 
routing protocols which use hierarchical routing (ZRP, HARP).  My question 
know is, if there are any studies about the effect of used autoconfiguration 
algorithm regarding to the used routing protocol. How does the 
autoconfiguration algorithm effect the routing tabels?

> supposed to change upon address assignment.

But the routing tables depend on how the address are assigned. So can the 
address assignment task really be treated independent from the routing task? 
Or do we always have to bear in mind which routing protocol is used?

> publications, Internet Drafts and patents.  I'm not sure what you look

I am talking about MANETs with Internet connectivity.

Kind regards
Volker Böhme

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 15:58:48 +0100

> autoconfiguration algorithm effect the routing tabels?

(sorry, I don't know about studies).

 From my readings of MANET protocols they don't consider the address 
autoconfiguration algorithm when they consider routing, neither 
vice-versa.  But that's just my limited reading.

> address assignment task really be treated independent from the routing task?

Normally yes.  Normally a network planner first plans the addresses on 
the topology, which normally stays fixed.  This address plan is 
reflected in DHCP and OSPF configuration files.  These configuration 
files are fixed.

> Or do we always have to bear in mind which routing protocol is used?

I think in AUTOCONF and MANET one would like to have the address 
assignment to influence routing, and vice-versa.

But the requirement sets can be so different, here's but an example:
-mobiles can change their addresses but routers no.
-routes must stay fixed but addresses can change.
-etc.

> I am talking about MANETs with Internet connectivity.

Right... a MANET connecting to the Internet may obtain its addresses 
from the fixed infrastructure with DHCP-PD, which will probably add 
routes upon each access.  It could also try to continue using same set 
of addresses at each access, thus forcing the access network to route 
its set of addresses (not use DHCP-PD).

(Sorry, I don't know about publications, but why do you ask?)

Alex