Subject: [Autoconf] WG Action: RECHARTER: Ad-Hoc Network Autoconfiguration (autoconf)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 11:06:27 -0700 (PDT)

The charter of the Ad-Hoc Network Autoconfiguration (autoconf)  working
group in the Internet Area of the IETF has been updated.  For additional
information, please contact the Area Directors or the working group
Chairs.

Ad-Hoc Network Autoconfiguration (autoconf) 
------------------------------------------------------------- 
Last Modified: 2009-03-31 
 
Status: Active Working Group 
 
Additional information is available at tools.ietf.org/wg/autoconf 
 
Chair(s): 
Ryuji Wakikawa [[email-masked]] 
Thomas Clausen [[email-masked]] 
 
Internet Area Director(s): 
Jari Arkko [[email-masked]] 
Ralph Droms [[email-masked]] 
 
Internet Area Advisor: 
Jari Arkko [[email-masked]] 
 
Mailing Lists: 
General Discussion: [email-masked] 
To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/autoconf 
Archive: 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/autoconf/current/maillist.html 
 
Description of Working Group: 
 
In order to communicate among themselves, ad hoc nodes (refer to RFC
2501) need to configure their network interface(s) with local addresses
that are valid within an ad hoc network. Ad hoc nodes may also need to
configure globally routable addresses, in order to communicate with
devices on the Internet. From the IP layer perspective, an ad hoc
network presents itself as a L3 multi-hop network formed over a
collection of links.

The main purpose of the AUTOCONF WG is to describe the addressing model
for ad hoc networks and how nodes in these networks configure their
addresses. It is required that such models do not cause problems for ad
hoc-unaware parts of the system, such as standard applications running
on an ad hoc node or regular Internet nodes attached to the ad hoc
nodes. This group's effort may include the development of new protocol
mechanisms, should the existing IP autoconfiguration mechanisms be found
inadequate. However, the first task of the working group is to describe
one practical addressing model for ad hoc networks.

Once this sole work item is completed, the group can be rechartered to
work on additional issues.
 
Goals and Milestones: 
 
Apr 2009 Submit initial draft on addressing model in ad hoc networks 
Sep 2009 Submit addressing model draft to IESG as Informational or close
WG