Subject: [babel] Remaining work for rfc6126bis

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 19:48:59 +0200

Dear all,

-02 contains most of what I had planned for rfc6126bis; I, for one, would
not be overly disappointed if this version were submitted for publication
as an RFC.

I think the only remaining protocol change that we want to consider at
this stage are extensions to the Hello-ing mechanism, notably unicast and
interval-less hellos.  There are various possibilities:

  - use the Reserved field of the Hello TLV (preferred by David S.);
  - define a new TLV (preferred by Markus S.);
  - define a mandatory sub-TLV of the Hello TLV.

Other than that, I believe some purely editorial changes are still
required, I'll go through my (very messy at this stage) notes at some
point.  Plus I need to acknowledge everyone who participated without
missing anyone.

Other WG work required:

  - change the IANA registries to reflect mandatory bits (Donald, how do
    I do that?);
  - work on the applicability document (grr, it bores me to death);
  - finalise the data model.

There's some non-WG work that's required for further progress:

  - make all implementations known to Man (includes women) grok mandatory
    bits, and bully everyone to deploy the new versions;
  - document the new extensions (new format of source-specific, TOS-specific)
    and make sure they don't suck (Matthieu, Gwendoline, that's you);
  - work on Stenberg-Schinazi style security for Babel (Antonin, that's you).

-- Juliusz