Subject: [babel] What to do about the IANA registries?

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 01:39:35 +0200

Dear Chairs,

Rfc6126bis is going to cause some upheaval to the Babel-related IANA
registries:

  - due to the addition of the mandatory bit, the allocations in the
    sub-TLV registry are going to change (different reserved ranges);
  - a new registry will be required for Hello flags.

Could you please explain how we should achieve these changes?  Just put
them in an IANA considerations section in rfc6126bis?  Or is there
a better way?

Thanks,

-- Juliusz

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 02:10:36 -0400

Hi Juliusz,

>   - a new registry will be required for Hello flags.

Good point.

> them in an IANA considerations section in rfc6126bis?  Or is there

You basically want to put all the changes/augments to the IANA registries
in the rfc6126bis draft.

   - If you are just adding code points, you should normally just refer to
   the IANA registry.
   - If you are changing something about a registry, then I think the draft
   needs to either say that it updates or obsoletes the RFC that previously
   set up

So, a registry change to the Babel sub-TLV registry implies to me that the
draft needs to at least update RFC 7557.However, since this is a new
complete specification of 6126+7557, isn't it actually the case that it
obsoletes both RFC 6126 and RFC 7557? If so, that should be noted on the
title page and the IANA Considerations section should also direct that all
references in the IANA Babel registries be changed to refer to the new
document.

> -- Juliusz

Thanks,
Donald
===============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]