Subject: [babel] Reminder: side meeting on Wednesday 10:00 am

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 02:45:06 +0200

Dear all,

This is to remind you that we're going to have a side meeting in room
Tirolka tomorrow Wednesday at 10:00 am.  The goal of the meeting is for
the WG to instruct me what to do about unicast Hellos in rfc6126bis.

Here are the possible outcomes I can see:

1. We remove unicast Hellos.  There will be no unicast Hellos in Babel for
   the foreseeable future.

2. We remove unicast Hellos, but require that Hellos with the Unicast bit
   MUST be silently ignored.  Minimum complexity, and if people are keen
   on Unicast Hellos, they can write a draft that updates rfc6126bis.

3. We keep unicast Hellos, but make them optional -- it is legal to
   silently ignore unicast Hellos.  Moderate complexity in the spec, but
   minimal implementation complexity -- just like 2.

4. We keep unicast Hellos, make it compulsory to associate with peers that
   send unicast Hellos only.  Roughly speaking, it's the current draft.

Orthogonal to the above -- are people happy with the current definition of
interval-less ("unscheduled") Hellos?  I think they're clean and involve
minimal implementation complexity, but I'm willing to be proved wrong.

It's a side meeting, so any conclusions reached will need to be validated
by the WG.  Still, given the athmosphere of trust that we have, I'm
confident that any conclusions reached will be taken into consideration by
the WG -- so please don't underestimate its importance, and please do come.

See you all tomorrow,

-- Juliusz