Subject: Re: [babel] Minor edits to draft-ietf-babel-rfc6126bis-02

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 11:49:44 -0400

Below are a few minor suggestions. Sorry to get this to you so late but
they could always be considered later.

Thanks,
Donald
===============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]

The below are all just suggestions.

Global Stuff:

   - Use a "0x" prefix for hexadecimal quantities and drop occurrences of
   "hexadecimal". Alternatively, make sure you always say "hexadecimal".
   - The draft normally uses "(prefix," but there are two instances of
   "(p," which I think should be changed to "(prefix,".

Section 2.1 Costs, Metrics and Neighbourship

The first sentence could read better or were even split into two. Perhaps
something like "As with many routing algorithms, Babel computes costs of
links between neighboring nodes. Such costs are abstract values attached to
the edge between two nodes."

Section 3.3 Acknowledged Packets

   - "suggest that acknowledged packets should be used" -> "RECOMMEND that
   acknowledged packets be used"
   - "not even recommended" -> "NOT RECOMMENDED"

Section 3.4.2 Bidirectional Reachability Detection, 2nd paragraph

Add the same parenthetical that appears at the end of the 3rd paragraph of
3.4.1 for parallelism.

Section 3.5.1 The Feasibility Condition, 1st paragraph

"updates with finite metrics large enough to cause a loop are discarded."
-> "updates that fail the feasibility condition, that is with finite
metrics large enough to cause a loop, are discarded."

Section 3.8 Explicit Route Requests, 2nd paragraph at end

"a neighbor" - "the receiver"

Section 4.1.2 Router-Id

I don't think the first sentence is grammatical. Suggest adding "quantity"
or the like at the end of that sentence.

References:

Might want to reference RFC 7042 instead of or in addition to RFC 4291.

---

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2017 21:15:45 +0200

> Below are a few minor suggestions.

Thanks.  Integrated all of them except for one stylistic change.

-- Juliusz