Subject: [babel] Bird 2.0 released with rfc6126bis-compatible Babel implementation

From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2017 17:56:05 +0100

Hi everyone

Just as an FYI:

The recently released version 2.0 of the Bird routing daemon[1] features
an updated Babel implementation that is compatible with rfc6126bis.
I.e., it understands mandatory bits in sub-TLVs and will discard the
containing TLV. It also drops Hello TLVs with the unicast flag set. This
version of Bird also contains integrated v4/v6 support, making it
possible to carry both types of routes over the same Babel instance like
with babeld.

No extensions are implemented yet, nor will it send or in any other way
respond to unicast Hellos. Those features are still on the TODO list :)

All due credit to the Bird developers for getting 2.0 out the door, and
for fixing a number of bugs in the Babel implementation along the way!

-Toke

[1] http://trubka.network.cz/pipermail/bird-users/2017-December/011672.html

---

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2017 18:40:21 +0100

> an updated Babel implementation that is compatible with rfc6126bis.

That's excellent news, Toke.

I'll try to find the time to merge the rfc6126bis branch into babeld
mainline over the holidays, and do some interop testing.

-- Juliusz